Register now to get rid of these ads!

VINTAGE SHOTS FROM DAYS GONE BY! (Part 2)

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ryan, Jun 17, 2019.

1. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

2. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Sure the J-79 provided the thrust, a great engine for sure. I have 1000 hours flying the F-4 with the J-79. What I was inferring is it reduces drag in the transonic region.

Bleach, loudbang, Speedwrench and 4 others like this.
  3. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I understand, Jim. But a car is not an airplane, which is why that much of what was learned in Lockheed's wind tunnel proved to be ineffective. The airplane is in free air, all the way around the plane. A car is not, due to the ground effect. A wind tunnel works fine with a plane, the air is moving and the plane is standing still in the air, which of course is the exact opposite of actual flight, when the air is standing still and the plane is moving. But even though it's opposite of what is happening in "real life", the results shown in wind tunnel testing is the same if you are testing a plane. This does not happen when wind testing a high speed car. In "real life", the air is standing still, the ground is standing still, and the car is moving. When trying to duplicate this in a wind tunnel, the air is moving, the car is standing still, and so is the ground. You can still get relatively good data in the lower 200 MPH range, (like for a NASCAR car for instance) but not if you are looking for data in the 500 or 600 MPH range. The ground effect shuffles the deck so to speak, in the area above the ground for about 4 or 5 feet off the surface of the ground. The top of the body on the Spirit of America (less the fin of course) is about 4 1/2 feet off the surface of the earth (at the Salt Flats) so the air we were running in was mostly not what could be seen in a wind tunnel. I'm not sure that the coke bottle effect did anything for us. If you are interested, I could explain the issues we had with our aerodynamics, and what we did learn after running the car in 1965...

4. wicarnut

wicarnut

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

6. wicarnut

wicarnut

[​IMG]Raymond Loewy an iconic industrial designer.[​IMG]

7. wicarnut

wicarnut

# 26 Bill Vukovich had led the 1952 Indy 500 for about 148 Laps, only to have his steering give out on lap 192 and a young 22 year old Troy Ruttman went on to Win the Biggest Race of his life and put his name in the History Books forever[​IMG]

8. wicarnut

wicarnut

A very young Johnny Rutherford 1963 [​IMG]

9. 4everblue

4everblue

"Pat, I'd like to solve...Island Dragway" 50 year as a commercial sign painter and this was a real stretch.

10. wicarnut

wicarnut

# 63 Johnny Rutherford on May 13, 1962, Reading Pa. Fairgrounds[​IMG]

11. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks the same today... in Buelton, Ca. The wife and I go every year the SCTA Dry Lakes Hall of Fame inductions. Hope it will be back this year.

Bleach, wicarnut, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  13. Ron, thanks for posting these pics of the women that made such a huge contribution to the WW II effort on the home front. Although they seldom get credit for it, women made up a sizable portion of the defense workforce, as well as delivering planes to England for war use. A big "Hat's Off" to the aircraft, shipyard, and other industrial "Rosie's" that helped provide equipment, munitions and support for our troops fighting overseas.

14. j hansen

j hansen

^^^^What he said^^^^

15. Mmm,doughnuts.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Bleach, loudbang, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  16. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

F-4 a John Wayne aircraft.

17. Witchhammer

Witchhammer

Bleach, wicarnut, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  18. Witchhammer

Witchhammer

Bleach, wicarnut, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  19. Witchhammer

Witchhammer

Bleach, 40two, Tony Martino and 2 others like this.
  20. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

21. Thanks !
    I liked that add. My dad bought a new 1967 Pontiac Bonneville convertible. I had a 68 Vette in high school. But would still bowered the Pontiac when going on a date. It was great for going to the drive-in. Also for just turning on the radio, putting the top down, and go parking. { remember those days? } So many good memories. I never let dad get rid of it, and still have it. But too new for pictures. :) Ron.........

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Bleach, loudbang, HEMIDAV and 2 others like this.
  22. Fordors

Fordors

9C39C327-2E5E-4980-BF69-6F41B8E4DBA0.jpeg

That’s a great series of photos, thanks for that @Ron Funkhouser . Even after all these years we still owe those Rosie the Riveters a debt of gratitude.

Packrat, Bleach, benke and 14 others like this.
  23. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

They won't be back at all. Out of business, the building is for sale.

Bleach and loudbang like this.