Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs New member. Searching for grandfathers old ride

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Searchingforaclassic, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

Anyone have any idea how to go about searching for a car that was sold in the 60’s I know this is beyond a needle in a hay stack. My grandfather always had some cool rides but this one really stuck with me he always told stories about it and always pulled this picture out to show us grandkids. It was sold and went to California in 1962. Trying to find this car is most likely not gonna happen but if I don’t try I will regret it the rest of my life. Any help please let me know. 19D53FF8-897C-4D02-A93B-16CED3F22EE0.jpeg

EVL401, Carter, tommyd and 43 others like this.
  2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's an exceptional hot rod.
    Even looks to be something that I might've seen in the past. I'm sure others have. If the car still exists, I guarantee, that the HAMB is most likely able to steer you in the right direction.
    They've done it before.
    Good luck!

3. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Is this it?
    7d24268ba954feab3243d474bdf31e9e.jpg

EVL401, Ford52PU, Hombre and 37 others like this.
  4. grumpy65

grumpy65

1962 to 2021 is fifty-nine years. I would doubt that it looks anything like the picture now, or whether it actually exists at all. Likely to have been rebuilt and morphed into a totally new box of frogs.

Best bet...............build a clone/replica in honour of the original.
    I do hope you can find it though................ That would be super cool.:cool::cool::cool:

5. grumpy65

grumpy65

Holy shit @Joe Blow , I am ready to stand corrected. This just may turn out to be a miracle.............:eek:

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Told ya... LOL!
    The hamb is an amazing place.
    Do an introduction and hang around for a while and you'll see more amazing stuff. ;)

Ford52PU, Tim, scotty t and 7 others like this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same interior, same dual M/C's on the firewall, same paint scheme, Looks like someone got tired of the straight pipes other than that....

Moparmaniac79, loudbang, Tim and 3 others like this.
  8. grumpy65

grumpy65

9. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Frick!! Love this place...I do!

10. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  11. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Sgt. Carter was your grandfather?!!

tomcat11, loudbang, 49ratfink and 5 others like this.
  12. cfmvw

cfmvw

If that turns out to be the same car after all these years, that would be beyond amazing, not to mention a great story!

13. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I bet that's the same car. In the older photo the roof had not been filled yet.
    Also, it's very "East Coast"...

On a second look what looks to be the leading edge of the roof insert, may be a reflection of a telephone pole.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks to be a car that a lot of hot rodders would remember. Because of that, even if it doesn't exist in that form, some good members here likely know what became of it and where it is now.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. grumpy65

grumpy65

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll never forget when a young lady joined the HAMB, asking the same question about a chopped Ford Coupe her father had built.
    The HAMB came up with the answer in short order. Turned out, the car had been in the movie Hollywood Knights.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    loudbang, Tim, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  17. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Grease-machines-april-1979.jpg That would be kickass if it surfaced somewhere's... who in their right mind would strip a Watson paint job?? Phil-kaelin-1932-ford3.jpg

18. AHotRod

AHotRod

19. Squablow

Squablow

Already found some pretty impressive history on it. I'd say it's very, very possible it still exists, in one form or another. Looks like it was a hell of a nice car, not the type of thing that would quickly get parted out or trashed or reworked.

20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

21. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Looks to have been a East cost (60s) build ,
    Op Mention thinking it went to Cal when sold,
    From 2013 pics @ Kustom Car Chronicles Plate White ,Washington state

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  22. grumpy65

grumpy65

This from the following webpage:
    https://www.customcarchronicle.com/category/photo-archives/larry-watson-personal-collection/
    Scroll way down (No, further. I said way down.)

[​IMG]
    Phil Kaelin’s 1932 Ford from the Larry Watson Collection. Sadly there was only a few black and white photos of this car in Larry’s Collection. The color inset photos come from the Wirths Custom Auto Collection and is used to show the amazing colors of the car). This front 3/4 photo shows that the body had been chopped and channeled over the frame. Note the double sided white wall tires up front.

23. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I would say , That 32 was a very Fancy car to be in Southern Mountain state in1962 Kentucky , not in So Cal!!
    Owner a Military fella Station in KY?

24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Where did the OP go? It took the HAMB 16 minutes for find his grandfather’s car!

Bones

25. grumpy65

grumpy65

@Rikster , can you help out here?.....:)

"The last time I did an update on the thread I showed a series of photos of Larry's 1961 Ford Econoline. Here is one more showing the car at the 1965 Tridents Car Show. It shows the Econoline sitting on the show floor surrounded by many very colorful Custom Cars wearing Larry Watson Paint jobs. What an amazing experience it must have been to be able to walk thru this are and see all these vibrant color painted custom cars. The insert shows an portion of an Ad Larry ran in the Custom Car Show program.
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately there are not to many photos left of Phil Kaelin's 1932 Ford 5-window coupe painted by Larry Watson. Phil was from Louisville, Kentucky and brought his chopped 1932 Ford 5-window car all the way to California to have it painted by the famous Larry Watson. And it sure was worth the trip.
    One of the best looking custom paint jobs on a 32 Ford… at least thats how I see it. Larry painted the whole body in fine silver, and then taped of the character lines and around the windows. Not that Larry taped off a little outside the body moldings making them look a bit heavier. Then he shot the rest in a very vibrant candy purple. Unfortunately this photo - part of Larry's personal Collection - is a black and white copy… I have added an small color photo (inset) from an older Watson published article to show how great the colors looked on this car.
    I have always wondered why nobody has really replicated this paint job on a 32 Ford in the recent years. I know that there were several "rest rods" in the 1970's that used the same paint idea, but none of those came close to this Watson paint job. I can see a recreation based on Phil's paint job, but then with nice tall road white walls, some good looking hubcaps and a well dressed up engine.
    [​IMG]
    Another photo of Phil Kaelin's 1932 Ford from the Larry Watson Collection. (The color inset photo comes from the writhes Custom Auto Collection and was only used to show the colors of the car). This front 3/4 photos gives us a better look at the channeling of the body over the frame. The dropped rille and the Engine. Note the double sided white wall tires up front."
    [​IMG]

[From thread: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/larry-watsons-personal-photo-collection.573932/page-31

26. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Possible car before the Watson paint?? uploadfromtaptalk1348252702510.jpg

Hombre, loudbang, 49ratfink and 7 others like this.
  27. grumpy65

grumpy65

I don't think so. I think @HEMI32 might still own this one...............................

Stogy, loudbang, 49ratfink and 3 others like this.
  28. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Yes, I believe your correct after a bit of research... wheel covers and generator are subtle differences.

Stogy, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. grumpy65

grumpy65

Check out Hemi32's profile page. His car has a very interesting and heart-warming story.

Stogy, loudbang, 49ratfink and 4 others like this.
  30. grumpy65

grumpy65

I can't help but notice that the pic the OP posted shows the frame a different color to the body.
    In all the pics of the Phil Kaelin coupe, the frame is painted body color. Is it the same car ??????

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.