Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hot Rod Bandits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Hot Rod Bandits

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. I'm surprised that didn't get made into a movie, like "The Wild Bunch" with Brando, or any one of the B movies made about Hot Rod hooligans in the 50's.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It seems like three or four of those old shitty movies were loosely based on it...

There are actually a number of actual "hot rod bandit" stories from the 1950's. This one, however, has always stuck with me the most because it seems like these kids actually used a Hot Rod and not something the media just labeled as such because the get away car was missing a muffler or the like...

"Two youths rob a liquor store and get away in their HOT ROD Nash...."

tdog, chryslerfan55, Tim and 4 others like this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Typical of LAPD to deny California Public Records Act requests. I'd request it again and keep at it until you get an official response. They're hoping you'll just give up.

Jungle Jalopy likes this.

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

It would be interesting to talk to them today,.. if they were still alive.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I know a guy that's a lawyer... He's the worst... a persistent asshole of epic proportions. I am currently negotiating with him to handle this. If I can get him to do it for a reasonable amount, he will get it done. No doubt.

I *think* two of them still are, but not sure...

302GMC, fauj, rbrewer and 5 others like this.
  7. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

I’d love to see that pink Hot Rod.

8. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That´s great story. These guys sure have recieved a good pounding . At first glance I thought their swollen faces might stem from the accident, but it sounds like the LAPD didin´t have a good sense of humor... Would be interesting what made them get on the wrong path...

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had many dealings with the paralegal who handled CPRA requests for the CA state agency I worked for before I retired. I believe my agency was on the up and up with such requests but the stories he told about other agencies were eye opening to say the least. One of my district assignments included working with the LAPD. Base on my 5 years in that assignment I can say that LAPD was the most difficult department I ever worked with in my over 30 years of state service.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I went to ZabaSearch.Com, and looked up "Berkley Bryant". Kinda thought there could't be too many of them with that name, but there were FOUR. Two are old enough at 89 and 90. The other names would have too many names to sort through. Maybe they're still "hooligans"? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

stillrunners and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've never been interested in the poodle skirt, fuzzy dice side of the hot rod world... That commercialized, warm and fuzzy crap just isn't for me... I'd rather own an outlaw Japanese make than roll in a '57 Chevy based on that premise...

Hot rodding started off as punk rock... and to me, it still is... and you know what comes with that... Good Trouble.

These boys were bad trouble, obviously... and got what they had coming. However, it's part of the story that should be told.

kool 52, Lepus, Hitchhiker and 5 others like this.
  13. Damn Hooligans!.......oops, wait a minute, that's us!:eek:;)

14. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Bored teenagers, the bane of society!
    Where's Joe Friday when you need him?

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Souped up sedan..... loud and fast..... what’s not to like? Loving this, wishing you success on your digging.

16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The perfect inconspicuous get away car.

A PINK 32 Ford.

I’m sure they collaborated their story with each other and sworn to secrecy before they went to prison to be with other inmates.

IT WAS BLACK - IT WAS A BLACK 32 we used as a getaway.

cretin, rbrewer, Atwater Mike and 6 others like this.
  17. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

This would fall into the "Stupid Criminals" category: Who in his right mind would commit robbery and take off in a PINK getaway car?

Hollywood-East and rbrewer like this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I like to wonder which one was the master mind...

mad mikey and Jalopy Joker like this.
  19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Damn, this has all the elements. Hoodlums. Debauchery. A pink 1932 Ford. Wait a second...

As I read this, I thought back to the night I picked up some Deuce axle bell jack stands in San Francisco. The previous owner said he had a pink '32 roadster. Maybe there's a connection between the two? I should ask.

20. Hum, I wonder what these guys were thinkig when they decided to us a pink '32 hiboy sedan for a get away car, in 1955 it would seem 5 guys in a pink hot rod would stand out like a sore thumb anywhere it was parked.

They surely weren't too concerned about blending in with the rest of the cars driving around.

Yeah, they got what they deserved but they paid for their crime and it would be interesting to hear from some of the original "HOT ROD 5" as to how they did after their prison sentence. HRP

21. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

Not a Sedan but definitely a pink '32.
    Its actually Pepto Pink but my crappy cell and fluorescent lighting toned it down.
    Pinky-page1 (2).jpeg

22. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Now that's cool reading thanks Ryan!! Gotta be a pic of that wrecked sedan in the files right? Lippy

mad mikey and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I have to admit something fellas... and I do apologize for this... but, I really like the idea of a titty pink ‘32.

24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Nothing wrong with liking it, just don't try to rob a liquor store or bank in one!

harleyddad and Baumi like this.
  25. kursplat

kursplat

so trying to help you out going through the LA library web site. lots of newspaper stuff. just searching pics first but i'm getting sidetracked... :rolleyes:

"November 4, 1954 reads, 'Above hot rod, now in early stages of costruction [sic], will be given away at week's end by Glendale Timing Association to one of many who are expected to contribute to fund-raising campaign being held by group for proposed Valley drag strip."...
    download.jpg

26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hate to disagree with the "Boss", but your "punk rock" theory is nearly as commercialized as those poodle skirts and fuzzy dice.

Hot Rodding started off with a lot returning G.I.s, who honorably served our country...Hardly a bunch of PUNKS. They came home to a seemingly mundane life after years of high intensity conflict and cars & motorcycles filled their need for excitement. (speed).

The Press quickly demonized them as outlaws (and a few were), but for the most part, they were decent folks...that became our Dads & Uncles. Some even became legends in our hobby.

Also, I would guess that "PINK" 32 was more than likely faded red oxide primer, and the press couldn't come up with a better color description than pink.

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

While hot rodding certainly boomed with returning GI's, that's not where it started. It started primarily in the midwest with Model-T racing prior to the war... and this racing was done by guys that thought differently than most. There's a book everyone should read that goes deep into this history... It's fascinating... and one of the best reads ever...

Also, I don't like the negative connotation you made... As if the punk rock ethos and those into being different, doing different things, and raising hell aren't "honorable." In my life, I've found this to be exactly the opposite. Following rules and conforming to social norms does not make someone honorable. By the same token, dancing to a different beat doesn't make one dishonorable.

But forget about the term punk rock. I use it too loosely to describe cool shit... Returning GIs came stateside after killing, seeing terrible shit, and living a nightmare. They needed an outlet. For some of them, that was hot rodding. It was not fuzzy dice, pop music, and pastel paint jobs. They were honorable, obviously... but they also did things differently than most.

Editors note: This might read hostile and argumentative. It's not. Promise. I respect your opinion and your thoughts on the subject 100%.

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Also... to clarify.... I, in no way, consider the youngsters in this story to be honorable. They were young thieves... and there's nothing lower than a thief.

I do, however, think stories like this are super fun to read about, think about, and glamorize in your own head. Obviously, that comes with reservations... But fun all the same.

29. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a real shame that Norm Grabowski isn't alive to contribute his opinions and observations on Ryan's article he posted, that would have been some fascinating reading!

30. First thing I thought of was the guys who were my hot rod inspiration growing up. The photo below is a bunch of hot rod guys, a couple of them were my cousins. I lived in the Cove area of Stamford on Seaside Avenue. I was I guess a second generation Cove Boy. No fuzzy or surfin crap for us. Tell me these could not be mug shots!
    br01-1957[1].jpg
    This was The BLACK ROAD Auto Club
    Me below following in their footsteps.
    32-5window (4).jpg
    Another photo of me from a Rod Action ( I think) photo shoot. Married in the 70's and you can still see the resemblance.
    ModelA_0002.jpg