Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects And So It Begins

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piewagn, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Piewagn

Piewagn

Computer hard drive.....strong suckers they are!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Piewagn

Piewagn

Passenger side done! Rollin’ along.... time for the doors. I can use some of the leftover cowl patch, it has the lower body lines and there aren’t giant sections....only the corners! My boss got me a little mascot, think he’s tryin’ to say sumthin’? Thanks for hangin’ out fellas....have a great evening! IMG_0818.JPG IMG_0819.JPG IMG_0821.JPG IMG_0822.JPG IMG_0817.JPG

3. Piewagn

Piewagn

Took half a day today and spent some Q time on the coupe! Majority of structural welding is done.....wheel wells are close....
    Things are slowing a little at work and I may just take a week of vacation to thrash and get the majority of remaining body issues completed....thanks fellas! IMG_0829.JPG IMG_0828.JPG IMG_0826.JPG

4. Piewagn

Piewagn

Started on the doors....surprisingly clean doors with not much rust through! Passenger side is even BETTER!Used a bit of the leftover cowl panel.....unfortunately...I need more, but I’m out. I’ll scrounge something up...thanks fellas! IMG_0833.JPG IMG_0834.JPG IMG_0835.JPG IMG_0836.JPG IMG_0837.JPG IMG_0838.JPG

5. Piewagn

Piewagn

Used some heavier gauge steel for this patch.....that and having to pee like a horse had me rush a little....it sucked the panel in slightly, but no worries....I heated the welds a little, them hammer and dollied them and it came out. Not my best work though, but it’ll do.....hope everyone is well, thanks fellas!! IMG_0845.JPG IMG_0846.JPG IMG_0847.JPG IMG_0849.JPG

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  6. koolbeans

koolbeans

Piewagn....been on a snooze....doin lots of little things.
    Your hot rod is really nice and coming along super. Like to check you out. Keep the hammer down.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Piewagn and loudbang like this.
  7. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Dude I know exactly where you are coming from with the frustration of the metal and gaps and such sometimes she do not want to fit where you want her but you are making great progress I find that sometimes you have to move on to other things just to feel like the project is moving. I have little time to work on my project I spend more time cleaning my garage just to get to the point so i can work on it. Then when I get moving it is time to clean up again move everything back into the garage stop making noise wife says kids are going to bed. My point is metal work is so time consuming every inch welded is an inch to grind. Keep up the great work guys like us are the ones who appreciate what we have a little more. The steel has ghost that come out the history ozone that certain smell when you weld it. You know what I mean. Like old rusty tar smell.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Mart

Mart

Nice work on the patches, Pie.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Osoty

Osoty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't recall reading, have you fired up your flathead? Enjoying the progress, keep at it, thanks, ty

loudbang likes this.
  10. Piewagn

Piewagn

It's funny.....I was just thinking about you today and was gonna hit your youtube channel! Thanks for the motivation KB.....still havin' fun!!

11. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks gbones! Yep.....had to move on or I was gonna make myself crazy! It's not a 10k Brookeville....it's a nearly 100 year old basket case I'm resurrecting....I have to keep reminding myself of that!

12. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Mart! Was just thinking about you today too! Was watching the hotrods run at Santa Pod and wondering if I'd see your rod pop up.....lots of cool stuff! I'll be around to visit your channel soon!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  13. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thank you!! Not yet..... I'll get there soon enough. thanks for stopping by!

14. Nice work, keep on keeping on!! Now fire that sucker up, and get some adrenalin flowing................

loudbang likes this.
  15. Piewagn

Piewagn

Passenger door patched. I don’t have fancy metal shaping tools other than hammer, dolly, grinder and a block of wood. I ground the lower door edge shape into a block of wood and pounded some sheet metal into shape. Came out good! Little bit every day! Thanks for hangin’ out fellas! IMG_0868.JPG IMG_0870.JPG IMG_0871.JPG IMG_0872.JPG IMG_0873.JPG IMG_0874.JPG IMG_0875.JPG IMG_0876.JPG IMG_0877.JPG IMG_0878.JPG IMG_0879.JPG IMG_0880.JPG

drdave, chryslerfan55, brEad and 5 others like this.
  16. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Carl! Got to get some peripherals to get it fired up.......soon!

17. Piewagn

Piewagn

......and yes, every inch of weld is an inch to grind. On of my LEAST favorite things to do is grind, but ya gotta plough through it though. Thanks for the words of wisdom gbones, your input is greatly appreciated!

18. loudbang

loudbang

You do some nice work with those minimal tools. :)

Piewagn and patman like this.
  19. Piewagn

Piewagn

Just some prep work today and some metal filing....wanna keep filler to a minimum! Still have a wee bit of hammer, dolly and shrink disk work to do....but I’m gettin’ there....thanks fellas! IMG_0883.JPG IMG_0884.JPG IMG_0885.JPG IMG_0887.JPG IMG_0886.JPG

drdave, chryslerfan55, brEad and 2 others like this.
  20. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks LB! Goes back to my Pop....he always just worked with what he had. Tought me how to improvise.....:D

21. River City

River City

That’s some fantastic metalwork. Really enjoying this build. I have a ‘31 that I plan to do a traditional build with. I’ve got a lot of hammer and dolly work in my future!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Big mike 1968, loudbang and Piewagn like this.
  22. Piewagn

Piewagn

Not much today....some metal prep and started the filler work....
    Thanks fellas! IMG_0888.JPG

chryslerfan55, brEad and loudbang like this.
  23. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks RC! Once you get rollin', it all comes together. I'll be watching for your build!

loudbang likes this.
  24. Piewagn

Piewagn

Started the filler work today! I got this Evercoat filler that was fairly inexpensive and left hardly a pinhole! Nice and easy to sand too! Thanks for stoppin’ by fellas! IMG_0892.JPG IMG_0891.JPG IMG_0890.JPG

25. Mart

Mart

What was that stuff called again? F f filler, was it? Good Lord, whatever will they think of next...

Piewagn, brEad and loudbang like this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

Are those cheese grater curls I spot on the floor LOL? Man I used to get in the "Zone" when using a metal file on sheet metal or cheese grater on fresh filler something all "Zen" about doing it and seeing it become all straight smooth. :)

chryslerfan55 and Piewagn like this.
  27. Piewagn

Piewagn

Corners and quarter tops are done...other than tidying up some gaps....now to move on to the left lower quarter.....happy weekend fellas! IMG_0896.JPG IMG_0897.JPG IMG_0898.JPG

28. Piewagn

Piewagn

New fangled stuff Mart....:D

29. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yes sir....don't know what it is about cutting into it right after it starts to set up with a trimmed up grater....then knocking it down with a fresh strip of 36......therapy for me....

30. Piewagn

Piewagn

This quarter was crushed....I’m surprised I got it this straight! Just need to tidy up edges and gaps. Quarter is ready for primer and putty thank god! The rest of the bodywork is downhill from here! Thanks for stoppin by fellas! IMG_0905.JPG IMG_0908.JPG IMG_0909.JPG