Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Poll: patina?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JJGA, Feb 21, 2021.

?
  1. Original grey patina

92.9%
  2. Old glory American flag patina

7.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJGA

JJGA

2. To me patina means well worn "ORIGONAL" paint or upholstery. Not poorly cared for or uncared for re done anything. That right there to me is nothing more than a R.R. Nothing there is vintage except the Tin under cheep primer. You really don't have any patina to keep. Sorry but you did ask.

fauj, The37Kid, Bandit Billy and 9 others like this.
  3. 5window

5window

Unless you are doing a '70's van, stay away from the fake patina/faded glory.

4. Sorry but what you have there is rust & worn out primer, not to mention the the rodent rod spider webs, with that out of the way you have the makings of a nice looking hot rod, do it right and you will have a car that will stand out and be well received. HRP

5. BJR

BJR

Paint it with some nice shiny paint. Then you will have something more than a rat rod.:eek:

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And NEVER EVER clear coat over ANY patina!

Muttley, TCATTC, chopo and 13 others like this.
  7. I agree with all the above.....paint the sucka.

8. slowmotion

slowmotion

As for the poll, neither. Paint it black lacquer with a brush and rub it out if you're going for 'authentic'.

9. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Patina means the damn thing needs a paint job, fake patina means the same thing, fresh flat kolor, it needs a paint.

10. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

D2DF79DE-C622-41C3-8006-0C2649468076.jpeg Fake patina or clear coat are not permissible! Under any circumstances! Paint the damned thing right, or leave it alone! I get asked quite frequently about how I “preserve” the look of this car. My response is “A car cover and drive it!”

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

That’s the making of a kick ass car! I’m with the others on fake patina but I’m not with them all on the shiny paint. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a flat or a low sheen paint/primer job.

JJGA likes this.
  12. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah, I see the time has come for yet another "patina" dead horse beating. Carry on.

13. adam401

adam401

Can we not do this again? Seriously.

14. Paulz

Paulz

It's your car and your money, do what YOU want.
    When someone else writes you a check to build it, do what THEY want.

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s rust... patina is on antique brass lamps..

16. I like patina but I agree with what some others have said that's not patina.Its your car do what you want.

Lost in the Fifties likes this.
  17. Why is it always the New Guys?

56don, Bandit Billy and upspirate like this.
  18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think @slowmotion nailed it. Some might consider a "distressed" crappy paint job as fake patina, but it would at least look authentic.

And FORGET that flag idea. It was an '80s mural thing that you'd see on Corvettes and 4X4s...not a good look for a hot rod:eek:

upspirate likes this.
  19. Didn't see choice ''c'' - other
    I vote real paint, please don't anybody do the total bare metal thing. Trying too hard for sure!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  20. 5window

5window

Because those of us who have been here a while get the philosophy of this place. New guys have to learn by screwing up-the same way we all did. Except maybe HRP and Moriarity. :)

hotrodjack33, Moriarity and upspirate like this.
  21. trollst

trollst

Looks like scrap to me, maybe a build underway....

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking like crap isn't patina it is looking like crap.

This is Patina, old and maybe original paint that is well kept and possibly polished though the finish in a few places or in the case of this car slightly worn though on top because it sat under a tarp for years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I knew about the Merc a long time before I ever saw it as it had belonged to an 80 something year old customer of mine who didn't drive it because the gas gauge didn't work and he kept it under a tarp. A few years later I saw it go by on a trailer and then a year or so after that saw it at this show. The paint has the car paint version of a nice old well used but very well kept saddle in that you see the wear but you see that it was always cared for and not neglected.

23. Personally I would leave the body alone, couldn't less about having a super overly shiny paint. It does not make the car go up and down the road or make it any faster. (I don't hate shiny paint nor do I like rotten rusty cars)

It's the rusty frame that drives my nuts, its the chassis and drive train that need to be top notch.

The chassis looks to be well built, I would take the body off paint the chassis and drive the hell out of it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    JJGA likes this.
  24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've grown to really hate most people's idea of patina on rods. Often the owners don't know the difference between rust and rot, vs. just patina. Now if the car is solid, and the paint is just ancient, I really do appreciate that type of patina. But I hate rust, and I hate faux patina even more than rust.

Phoenix24 likes this.
  25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My 40 Ford was last painted in the mid sixties. It has the look of a well cared for car. Wouldn't you really rather be known as a guy that cares for his stuff as opposed to someone who seemingly doesn't care what his cars look like? I personally can't wait until the patina thing is over. Where I come from hot rodding is about making cars better, not making them shittier.....

402.JPG

26. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

How many patina threads does this make?

JJGA, jimmy six and Bandit Billy like this.
  27. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Paint it with decent brush paint or spray cans.. Make sure you prepare it well. I would put some Moon full wheels discs and fenders on it..

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too many to shake a can of clear at. :cool:
    Years ago, my first deleted thread (a true badge of honor) was words I was tired of hearing on the HAMB. "Patina" was up near the top.

hotrodjack33 and Moriarity like this.
  29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Patina and Stance 2 useless over used words in the old automobile world. Reminds me if the movie Dances with Wolves when Costner met Stance with a Fist.;)

Bandit Billy likes this.
  30. We were discussing your car a few weeks ago and you deleted all of your post and pictures and disappeared. So i truly don't give a fuck what you do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.