Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Long shot Hudson question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grumpy65, Feb 18, 2021.

1. grumpy65

grumpy65

Hi all,

I know this is a long shot, but I need some answers regarding the front axle on a 1928 Hudson Super-Six (Model S).

1). What is the measurement from center to center of the spring pads?

2). What is the standard front track width (center of tread to center of tread)?

3). What is the 'wheel mount surface' to 'wheel mount surface' dimension?

Thankyou to any that can help.
    Grumpy65

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I sold my 28 front axle.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. grumpy65

grumpy65

Wow, this sure has tanked...........................
    Surely someone out there has some info.

4. grumpy65

grumpy65

Maybe we can approach this from a different angle.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a front axle setup on a '28 Hudson. What about a custom tube axle to suit the existing parallel front springs? Before anyone asks, I don't have an original axle.

kiwijeff likes this.

5. grumpy65

grumpy65

How did you set up your front end ??????????????????

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    kiwijeff likes this.
  6. rusty valley

rusty valley

i have a hudson beam axle here, no idea what its off, you can have it

kiwijeff likes this.
  7. grumpy65

grumpy65

Thanks, but I was more after the dimensions for 1928 so I can fabricate/modify to suit.

8. hudson48

hudson48

The Hudson Essex Terraplane Club would be a good source. Just don't tell them you are building a hot rod:cool:
    https://hetclub.org/

kiwijeff, loudbang and grumpy65 like this.
  9. grumpy65

grumpy65

Yeah, already made that mistake. Doesn't seem to go down very well. I did eventually get some dimensions over there. Just wanted to confirm them here if possible, and get other ideas on ways to go.

10. Hudson31

Hudson31

My 31 Hudson has a Chevy axle under it, I think your 28 is a different size. But you maybe able to find an axle that the spring pads are close to the Essex size and you could modify the spring perches?

11. grumpy65

grumpy65

I got dimensions for pad center to pad center on a '28 Hudson from someone on at the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club. 28.25".
    Closest I can find for Chevy is '33-'39 car axle at 28".
    https://droppedaxles.com/chevy-dropped-axles-0
    I guess it wouldn't be hard to accommodate for the one-eighth of an inch each side.

12. It was stock original. I'll see if I can put a link to my thread I did on it. I still have original chassis with front leaf springs on it.

grumpy65 likes this.
  13. grumpy65 and Budget36 like this.
  14. Most cars of this era are pretty similar dimensions, so Chevy, mopar, even Ford axles could be adapted. My avatar Plymouth coupe has a Chevy PU axle under it. My current Plymouth sedan project has a '36 Hudson axle.
    Also, Speedway used to sell a "universal" dropped tube axle that you weld on spring perches...might check into that.

rusty valley and grumpy65 like this.
  15. Not really answering your question...but if you're building a hotrod (not restoring)...then the questions could be altered to:

What do you need the track width to be to get the look you're after...and to clear fenders if so installed.

How low do you want it to sit? Build suspension components to accomplish the goal.

What approach to steering are you after? Engineer and install components to ensure no bumpsteer, correct ackerman, correct castor etc.

What brakes are you planning? Make sure they are accounted for in your axle width goal. Adapt them to spindles (engineer and make, or purchase components).

Not trying to be a smart a$$. This, for me, is all part of the fun of building and figuring out a hotrod.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    RMR&C likes this.
  16. grumpy65

grumpy65

Thanks, all good points, and all under control.
    Wanted standard track width as a starting point for axle width calculations.
    Mounting surface to mounting surface to work out brakes.
    Stance, with regards to the actual axle, is only related to axle drop (then mounting as part of the overall result).
    Steering and suspension are a somewhat seperate matter to axle choice, although must be compatible.

I would really love to see setups others have used. Pics would really help. Visual appeal is also a concern.
    At least we haven't had the usual "convert it to transverse leaf spring". It is not a ford. If I decide to completely change the whole setup, it will be with a torsion bar design...................:eek::eek::eek:

das858 and RMR&C like this.
  17. Here's an old pic of the chevy axle in my Pymouth. It now has taller narrower tires....
    Been thinking about putting an early Ford style dropped tube axle under it to lower it a bit more. Just weld some perches on....that should piss off the buggy spring crowd!:)

hotrod 006.jpg

grumpy65 and das858 like this.