Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was your first old car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fyrffytr1, Feb 4, 2021.

1. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

1960 15yrs old, two Model As, coupe body and a complete 2dr sedan, paid $50 for both. I found out they were stolen. Had to give the coup back, the owner let me keep the sedan, sold it for $50.

2. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

At the age of 16, riding my bike (no driver's licence as of yet) down to Rye Beach, NH, I spotted a 50 Ford front end in a garage (I didn't know that it was a 50 Ford at that time). On the way back, the lady who own the house was unloading her car with bags of food from the super market. So I made my move, pulled in and said that I can bring the bags in. After all the bags were in I asked her about the car. She told me that it was her late husband's car, it did not run, and it had flat tires. So with that knowledge, I went to take a look. 1950 Ford Woody. Rush back into the house and said, "I will buy it....how much". Well she did not know, but would check with son about the price, she took my phone number and told me she would give me a call. It took her like three days to call, her son said that it was worth 400 bucks (remember this was in the late 1960s). Told her I will take it. Now 400 bucks was a lot of money when you are only bagging at the super market (Pic & Pay) and pumping gas (Bill's Sunoco). So I went over and told her, that I could make payments and when the car was paid off I would bring it home. So every week I went over and paid her 15 to 35 dollars towards the car, every week I got to work on the car (not much just put air in the tires, clean it and applied a wax job, got a battery, file the points, fresh gas, and believe it or not got it started. Drove that car up and down her driveway a million times. Oh yea one more item comes to mind, she always had several projects (mowing, washing the windows and fixing little things around the house) for me to take care of when I was there. Inside the garage the husband had a Sears & Robucks wall of tools and equipment, more than my father ever had before I lost some of them. One day I went over still owning about 100 dollars and she told me to take the car because of all the work I have been doing on the house and yard. I could only drive the car out of the garage and she wanted me to clean the garage real good. Now this is the dark point of the story. I had to get a buddy who's father had a car trailer for his stock car. We rolled the car off of the trailer and hook up to his father's pick up truck and headed down to Rye Beach (I wonder if the father ever found out). We got there and the Woody is gone and the garage is now lock up with a big Master lock. The lady told me that she had sold the Woody to a guy from MA, who was just passing by, and that he paid $2000.00 for the vehicle. She felt bad but figure I would be better off with the money than the car. She gave me the entire amount. Since that was the most money I ever had, I was not really to upset and besides I really like the lady. Well word got around with my small circle of buddies and they all came to the conclusion that the Woody was lock up in the garage and that the lady knew that it was worth a lot more because it now ran and was cleaned up. SO, one of my buddies and myself went over and told the lady that I had left my jacket in the garage and that I needed to get it back. She said go right ahead, but when question about the lock, she did not know anything about the lock. She asked us if we could cut the lock. SO we cut the lock and the garage was empty, NO CAR and NO TOOLS. The lady almost started crying because it was her late husband's tools, that were taken. She look around and said, "they even took your jacket". She wanted to pay me for the jacket, but feeling like a dog poop, I said it was OK. Now for the ending of my first car, the guy who bought the car only took the car (loaded it from the driveway) it was a kid from down the street who took the tools and lock the garage up (his father made sure all tools were return and placed in their proper place). Upon see my bank statement and the big increase in the amount deposited, my Mom, made me give 1/2 of the money back to the lady and told her that I would be by every other week to help her out. But I got the last laugh, I still have the keys, after all of these years, for that Woody, and now in the process of obtaining another 1950 Ford Woody from Ohio. I wonder if the keys will fit.

3. My first old car was one that my father bought in 1959. I was 7 years old. He passed it on to me when I turned 15. I still have it. 1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 two passenger coupe'. 16 year old John.jpg 1467489_10201964512253365_1450239591_n.jpg Picture 30093.jpg

vtx1800, Oilguy, 6inarow and 13 others like this.
  4. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Me and my dad with my first old car and my 2nd old car that I used to throw my paper routes in. 9942E7FD-E049-42C9-8352-96B128518120.jpeg 78DF2210-3DFD-4CF3-AE1E-C5E90757AB1C.jpeg

hfh, osage orange, 6inarow and 9 others like this.
  5. Fredb_

Fredb_

C7E7B330-5679-471B-A60C-09A58342A4C4.jpeg
    They all seem old now. Probably the 1939 Ford pickup that I bought for $300 in 1976. 43133C35-85CB-4D8A-A88A-C940BD35F328.jpeg

osage orange, 6inarow, VF-1 and 8 others like this.
  6. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

1949 plymouth coupe. I blow the engine within the first week an my dad said lets go to the junk yard for a new one. ended up with a 318 and 3speed and then twisted the rear out of that poor car ! Sure wish I still had that blue terror

7. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My grandfathers 63 Chevy pickup
    . 283 , power glide , long narrow bed

8. bob miller 32

bob miller 32
    from france

[​IMG]

my first car , in 1983 . a french simca ariane 4 . bought at 16 years old ( in france the driving licence is at 18 ) restored and paint in 1985 before my army time .

vtx1800, 6inarow, 41 GMC K-18 and 8 others like this.
  9. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

1955 Ford Customline 2 door sedan, 272 Y-block with Ford-o-matic. Late fall, early winter 1968, I was 14 and paid $25 for it and drove it home. Boy was Mom mad! Not so much about driving it home as spending $25 for an old car. Wish I still had it, did something really stupid with it, tried to build a stock car for the local dirt track. Parts of it did end up onmy first modified a few years later. Those wheels, 15-inchers, were used to make wiiiiide wheels by the local wheel builder, Lenny Bona, for me. Take out the center, cut the wheel inhalf at the drop center, weld in a hoop the correct width, and add a wide 5 plate center. Viola, stockcar wheels!

Okie Pete and fyrffytr1 like this.
  10. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Hamb friendly? My current Ford. Old? My first car was a Malibu that was pretty cool kelsey Hayes slot mags. Fun high school car. Had a c10 that was beautiful, just a little ot here. That was a fun truck.

11. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

My first old car was also my first car, so to speak. When I was 11 or 12 my dad let me buy a 1953 Ford Customline 4 door sedan with a 239 V-8 flathead and "3 on the tree." He was excited about it because it was the last year of the flathead. I drove it all around on the property behind the Esso station and occasionally ventured down to the pumps to put some gas in or into a bay for service. It was registered and insured and he would use it as a spare for himself but those were the only times I ever rode in it on the highway. Long story but he passed away when I was 13 and the car had to go. I never actually got to drive it down the road.

Lou Manglass

12. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

My first car was a 61 Falcon, it was my Dads work car in 1972 when he died, my Mom gave me the car and his size 10 work boots. 40 years later I still have the boots, wish I still had the Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

hfh, osage orange, 6inarow and 7 others like this.
  13. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Got my first car at 14yrs old, a '37 Chevy 2dr sedan which my older brother and I pulled out of a cop's
    backyard. Paid $5 for it. The black widow spiders were free. Put a 265" sbc in it, and painted it canary
    yellow in our carport. Sold it to my high school buddy for $200 and bought my brother's orange chevy
    in the photo for $200. Put a 4 speed, 292" sbc, tilt front end and Americans on it. Street raced all over
    Phoenix. Great times then, and now. pumpkin 1.jpg

14. Deuces

Deuces

A white 1968 Camaro convertible with a 327 and a glide......

15. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, in 1969, that '39 Chevy was only 30 years "old". Still have it and have put lots and lots and lots of miles on it '39 chevrolet front.jpg

16. Newtin

Newtin

Bought it for $100 from behind a gas station. Started build when I was 14, finished when I was 18. Sold when I was 20. Now I’m 71. Boy, that happened fast. 7A168FFD-4480-406D-8035-2C53B6A34F9E.jpeg

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My first is the 38 Chevy p/u that I have but the first one I could drive was a 51 Olds 4 door.

18. cs39ford

cs39ford

1970 my 57 Chevy then 1974 60 PU then 1976 36 ford EDE1736C-CCFB-48F1-9342-9E76A7D87F90.jpeg

Attached Files:

6inarow, 41 GMC K-18, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  19. Kasane69

Kasane69

im 25 and 3 months ago i bought a 1962 ford falcon futura. i have no clue how to work with carbs but i got it running and driving but it stumbles or stalls when the car is rocked to the side. i love the car so much already im 6'5 300lbs and i have more room in the falcon than my old mercury mountaineer or my dads truck. ill grab some pics of it tomorrow.

20. upload_2021-3-14_13-11-9.jpeg
    My first old car, a 65 Rambler, was also my first car. Bought it from my dad for $1. This was followed by a 51 Stude Starlight for $35 and my first 57 I yanked out of a slough bottom for $200.
    [​IMG]
    I was "rat" long before it was fashionable. What you can't see here is the 64 Sedan De Ville in the garage that was too long to close the door. I had to put towels on the crowns of the fins and leave the door open a bit to get it in there.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    6inarow, Deuces, fyrffytr1 and 3 others like this.
  21. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

High School

Attached Files:

6inarow, 41 GMC K-18, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  22. roddering

roddering
    from Arizona

A 1936 Chevy Sedan. Put a SBC/turbo350 out of an Impala in it back in 1984. Found it in the ghetto of Cleveland and paid $300 for it.

23. Steven Smith11

Steven Smith11

1930 Chevrolet, two door sedan. Still have it.

6inarow and Bob Lowry like this.
  24. lancew1959

lancew1959

IMG_0425.JPG
    My first car was a 1959 Ranchero with a 390 my brother and I were doing burnouts in the country on the other side of the city and we broke the rear end it would only work in reverse so we drove it all the way through the city in reverse stopping at stop lights and people just staring at us we were laughing so hard we couldn’t see anything. Those were good memories I had so many good times in that truck car. Wish I never traded it for the 56 Pontiac wagon I got. IMG_0143.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. ErnieBirdie

ErnieBirdie

15 years old bought a 1953 Chevy Sedan Delivery from
    my older brother for $ 50.00 ! No motor or tranny-but
    bought a 216 cu.in splasher at the junkyard and my Uncle
    showed me what it needed for an overhaul. I ground the valves
    by hand as he keep the teaching up...Well the darn DMV would
    not allow me to register it in my name--as there was a lost title.
    It was a Beauty ! Late 53 with the 54 "pointed" tail lights.
    Long story.. but at 16 I shared where Ray Higley had towed
    me home some 35 miles on a short "rope" flying down the freeway with really no brakes to speak of in my 1953 Studebaker Truck.
    Then came :
    53 Chevy 5 window 1/2 ton pickup
    53 Chevy 3/4 ton Panel and another
    53 Willy's Station Wagon- 283 chevy-pontiac rear end and another
    53 Chevy 5 window classic 1/2 ton pickup that WAS incredible
    Barn Find in Easter Ore. ...
    Today- for just a tad shy of 40 years
    1953 Chevy Subruban...
    The Barn Find Pickup ! I sold in a 2 minute phone call
    And was on a train that night heading over the Santiam Pass
    in freezing weather to Klamath Ore. Were I had spottted
    her sitting ankle deep in snow-- in 20 below weather during
    a February -Eagle Conference I was attending.
    And by Crack-eeee !
    A girl sitting next to me during
    one of the lectures was Terry Gains who
    had yet to meet Steve Irwin --LOL.

Been Driving 1953's for the Better Part of my Life...

This one pictured below was my WORK truck and YES
    even then I learned quick what a Chugger-was -
    Loved the Truck -sold her before moving to Oregon and Kick myself -Because I really Loved Her !
    Two of my now 40's and 50 year old daughters are sort of hidden in the bottom of the pic. They to this day also wish I still had that Old Reliable Sweet 53 Pickup- I had switched out the three on a tree-with a 4 speed
    Granny Stocker--and dropped a rebuilt 235cu.in
    because she had been sold with a tired worn out 216cu.in
    -- Bought her for $ 350.00 -- and the very first thing I did
    was drop the stock radio and take the tubes to the hardware store
    and tested them- bought new ones and had TUNES again..
    Twilight Zone as if that old radio picked up signals -
    Oh never mind that ! LOL

Oh and I had bought the visor for $10-15.00? off a guy that was junking his 1953 GMC --3/4 ton Pickup --- Excuse my rambling on and on....
    Stories I have from my visits to the local Junk Yards ! OMG..........

20201208_085630[1149] (4).jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Atwater Mike, Deuces and fyrffytr1 like this.
  26. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

My grandpa gave me a beat up Corvair. It was probably mid to late 80s (Gen X'er) and I wasn't anywhere close to having my license. I think he just wanted me to tinker with it and drive around the property. I did learn a lot from that car just messing around with it.

First old car I ever bought was a '62 Buick Skylark 2 door hardtop. Black with the 215 V8. Loved that car. It was my high school ride.

6inarow and fyrffytr1 like this.
  27. Benny B

Benny B

My uncle gave me a 65 Plymouth Belvedere when I was 13 told me we would work on it on the weekends and get it running so when I got my license I would have a car to drive to school.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6inarow and fyrffytr1 like this.
  28. Gerakleo

Gerakleo

When I got my driver's license, my father bought my and Nissan Fairlady Z. It is my favorite car, because it has a wonderful design. It was in pretty good condition, but it was an old car, so we were spending a lot of time in our garage repairing it, or making some modifications. I like to remember that moment. I decided to keep it for my children, but it started rotten very fast. I tried different methods to stop this process but I couldn't. This is why I decided to sell it for scrap, so there couldn't arrive the moment when this car was compared to trash.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  29. John Tumolo

John Tumolo

Mine was a 48 Chevy my grandmother gave to me early 60's. Put dual exhaust with Fenton headers and added giant set of 8.90's on the rear. Thought I was hot shit. Fun car, great for Drive Ins. and double dates. Drove it about a year and sold it for less than $1K. MantuaJohn 100_5819.JPG

30. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

My 1st was a '59 Plymouth Sport Fury convertible... bought it from a budd's mom for $20.00 when I was 13. Gold, tan top, V-8, wide whites... ran like a champ. Did my 1st burn-out(s) in that car.

dsc_0038__large.jpg dsc_0043__medium.jpg