Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Driving the Streets of Chicago in 1930s and NYC in 1940s...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Driving the Streets of Chicago in 1930s and NYC in 1940s...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

They didn't stay in their lanes very well, kinda like now!

das858 likes this.
  3. phat rat

phat rat

Where did you see constant lane markings? Lane markings were very sporadic.

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

5. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

As soon as the clip opens I saw the car that I would take. It's the '36 Ford Convertible with the wide whites and 3 accessory grill and hood trim bars. It's funny to see the color of the film how it's starting to degrade. The cars look like they were painted with that color changing paint that Ford came out with several years ago.

sololobo likes this.
  6. sololobo

sololobo

The first thing I noticed was the trim pieces on the 36 Ford convertible. Very interesting and something I had never seen before. Love this old stuff, thanx for sharing.

DeltaBravo(DB) and Speed Gems like this.
  7. I could watch stuff like this all day. I'm fascinated with seeing just everyday mundane snapshots of the past. I do remember there is a video on youtube of a drive around LA I believe, and I spotted a channelled A roadster parked on the side.

8. This isn't color film that's degrading. This is B&W film that has been "colorized". The process maybe could have used some more tweaking but this restored footage is still fun to watch, regardless.

Enjoyed seeing the several old Checker built taxicabs on-duty in a few of the scenes. Pretty rare, not many of them survived or ended up in private ownership. The only one I've ever seen was at the "Eyes On Design" show at the Edsel Ford estate on Lake St. Claire a few years ago.

Speed Gems likes this.
  9. I love these clips that give us a glimpse into what it all really looked like back then. So cool.
    And yeah, it appears that staying in your lane was optional!

10. Oh man.....take me there....

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Lane markers? Stripes? What ya mean, it is my right to drive anywhere I want! Next thing you know, you folks are going to start passing laws about which side of the street to drive on, making us signal for turns, and get yearly safety inspections!

12. clem

clem

Saw this today on fb, looked a little odd, maybe the colourisation, or maybe the perfect condition of the streets, - I am not sure........