Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 Shoebox Ranchero Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jakesbackyard, Nov 28, 2018.

?

Hinge covers??

Poll closed Sep 29, 2021.
  1. Left

35 vote(s)
    89.7%
  2. Right

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. belair

belair

Thanks for letting us ride along.

jakesbackyard and loudbang like this.
  2. Boatmark

Boatmark

My unsolicited opinion is an almost stock appearing presentation - one where people look at it and scratch their heads and wonder if Ford built it - is perfect for this build.

The workmanship is beautiful. Not often you see a car in primer look so straight. To me it just begs to be painted deep deep Black. Or at least a very dark something.

3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice clean job on the wiring!

jakesbackyard and loudbang like this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And not one of them big ass blue fugly ones, either.

5. Squablow

Squablow

I like where this is going. Really clean execution. El Camino/Ranchero "conversions" often look poorly proportioned or slapped together but this one is very cohesive. And I've said it before but the pickup truck box rails add so much to the design, even though only a small amount of material was used there. Looks even more natural now that bodywork is completed.

6. loudbang

loudbang

Nice neat wiring. Are the gauges staying under the hood?

7. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

No. That’s just for the start up. If you look close you see the wires are strung through the windshield opening.

juan motime, GordonC and loudbang like this.
  8. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

She’s alive! Some fine tuning to do, but it’s a good day. Ran for 25 minutes at 2000 rpm.

9. One of the very best conversions I've seen. You nailed the rear window, usually one of the major faults on these is the builder re-used the car/wagon rear glass, making the conversion a bit too obvious.

The only 'flaw' I see is the prominent tailgate hinges; they're a bit distracting. One feature that's missing is the swing-down license plate if running with the tailgate down... :eek::rolleyes::D

Adding this to my watch list....

Jigger, Hombre and jakesbackyard like this.
  10. I sure like your "midas" tail pipes. :) I know it's always great to hear them run. Congrats.

11. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the drain pipe tail pipes!

12. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Anything to get the fumes out of the shop. Really REDNECK

13. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Glad I watched the video so I understood that comment!

loudbang, GordonC and jakesbackyard like this.
  14. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

A guys got to improvise. Those downspouts will go back on the house come spring. Good to see I lightened up your day with a chuckle.

Jigger, Tman, Peanut 1959 and 4 others like this.
  15. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Block sanding complete. Had three small low spots and about a dozen pinholes to fill. Feels good to be done. Now clean, mask and final prime which is how it will run this summer.

3A928508-50CE-4F53-B52B-7B9B9A1184FF.jpeg 9BD481DE-1451-47BB-9F61-0BC509298D4F.jpeg F3AF98CE-A471-4140-8871-79602D2377DE.jpeg

Jigger, 40two, Squablow and 21 others like this.
  16. Looks great! I know it is pretty satisfying to get to the point that you are that close to done sanding. I always love getting to that stage. :D

loudbang, drdave and jakesbackyard like this.
  17. It's your privilege to drive it in primer but I would like you to paint it and be finished. As you know, there we will be a lot of extra work when paint time comes. You are so close as it is. Congrats, again. :)

loudbang likes this.
  18. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

That thing is just plain beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing it in final paint, but just seeing it all together in primer and driving will be great!

loudbang likes this.
  19. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Yes. If I was 20 years younger I’d giverhell and paint it now, but I’m 70 and because of the pandemic this has come much farther in the last 6 months than I had planned. I sold my Model A in May and never found a driver to replace it. So I put my time and talent to work and now hope to drive the Ranchero this summer. I’ll put it in final primer, do the interior, glass and put it together so I can have fun and enjoy it this summer along with my kids, grandkids, the lake and friends that we haven’t been able to do the last year. Priorities! Plus I’ll need something to do next winter. Lol.

Jigger, 40two, Squablow and 13 others like this.
  20. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I turn 75 in April. In the middle of putting a straight axle under the '64 Dodge and building it into the mid sixties streetable match racer I planned to make out of it 15 plus years ago when I got it. I would much rather be driving it in primer than waiting to paint it.

21. Great Shoechero! When I run outta things to do I want to build a shubox 3 window out of a 4 door

brEad, loudbang and warhorseracing like this.
  22. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I know how you feel about driving it. I be 79 the 4 of May and I just want to drive my roadster. Frank

23. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Beautiful car and excellent workmanship! The only thing that I see that I would have done differently is the section just behind the doors, it could be a little bit longer IMO. I'm all about balance in design even though I'm usually "off balance" in life! LOL

24. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nicely done!

1-SHOT and loudbang like this.
  25. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Rocky, I would like to see a photo shop picture of what you are thinking. Personally I like the longer door for access. Frank

warhorseracing and loudbang like this.
  26. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Side shot Sunday...final prime.

F98298EC-CF3B-49F0-9DDB-5EC51A11976A.jpeg

Jigger, Outback, Nostrebor and 21 others like this.
  27. Very good, Jake. :)

jakesbackyard likes this.
  28. Even with no shine, and we know that is coming. The body lines are accentuated by the shadows cast on the body. When you paint it do you plan to add chrome? With the fabricated tailgate hinges 1950 or 51 chrome trim would definitely give it that OEM look and make people ask. "Did Ford build those? I've never seen one before." The story you could build from the truth, total custom to a one off rare prototype.

jakesbackyard likes this.
  29. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Yes. It will have side chrome eventually. When I got the car the side mounding holes had mostly been welded up (poorly). So I closed the rest and smoothed every thing. I have a really nice set of side chrome, but right now I’ll leave it in case I see some other side chrome that I would like. A little chrome always sets off a car.

Jigger, Squablow, Hombre and 3 others like this.
  30. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Are you going to put a coat of sealer on it before you drive it?