Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pertronix Flame Thrower Distributor in 8AB

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jellowe, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Jellowe

Jellowe

Most posts on this subject are nearly 10 years old. I've heard there are some awful quality distributors on the market today, I guess you get what you pay for. It seems to me the Pertronix Flame thrower is a good choice for my traditional hotrod running a 1953 8AB with dual Strombergs. I do like the simplicity of points but a converted Chevy points distributer is about the same price as a Petronix Flame Thrower. Can I get some reviews of the Petronix verses points distributer and other options. I am not building a racer, I just want reliability, simplicity and good performance. Thanks.

2. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

You want points then. Get vintage USA made points on e-Bay

stillrunners and 427 sleeper like this.
  3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Some guys love pertronix but I'm not one of them.

Put one in a 65 389 4speed GTO and hated it. It ran stronger with the reworked stock distributor. I had a Mr. Gasket dual point conversion plate installed and reworked curve. The pertronix wouldn't pull as hard.

Put a pertronix distributor in the gf's vw and hated it. I reworked the stock distributor and the almost new (50 miles) is sitting on the shelf in the closet.

Put a kit in another pontiac 400 and again after a while I pulled it and went with a mallory dual point distributor, pulled hard again like the GTO.

Just my experience.

4. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What Elcohaulic said.

stillrunners and Elcohaulic like this.

5. 47streetrodder

47streetrodder

I put a kit in my 65 El Camino (283/4 Speed) and could actually hear the improvement when I fired it up for the first time. That was 15 years ago. Still have the car with the same kit and it's still running strong.

jimmy six and Jellowe like this.
  6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a Pertronix in the 8ba in my '39 p/u. Ran OK. Installed a Buba manual advance Chevy conversion with points and it ran better than the Pertronix or the stock distributor. Engine is a stock single carb with EAB heads and alledgedly a Merc cam. Just my experience. Others may have different experiences.

stillrunners likes this.
  7. millersgarage

millersgarage

8ba

I had pertronix in a stock dist and it ran great

8. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I agree the pertronix is one I would pass on. I run a XR-700 and love it. Works great on a turbo Corvair.

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pertronix has worked perfect for me. 7 years no plug change. Timing is always the same. With 12 volts I kept the ballast resistor and bought their coil. Since all the Fords up to 57 were Loadmatic does the Pertronixs they sell for yours have a vacuum advance and centrifugal advance?