Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frozen Stiff

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2021.

1. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Woke up here to about a foot of new stuff. Had to use 4-lo to get out of the driveway. Guess the 9N will get a workout tonight.

Deuces, Malcolm, 5window and 2 others like this.
  2. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

My old lady is in the branded merchandise end of the marketing game. She represents some big names (which is cool, cause I get free stuff!). If the hamb ever needs anything hmu Ryan, maybe she can get ya a good deal! She just did a run of custom covid masks for my company, they're awesome, all my guys love um!

Hamtown Al, Deuces and alanp561 like this.
  3. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Same! Loving it. Snowblower, ski doo, and the Burton backyard will all get use tonight! Here's us shredding the vintage Burton before we got tons of snow. I rode it last night. Thing is terrifying.... Lol. 20210103_110957.jpg 20210103_110513.jpg

Hamtown Al, egads, mad mikey and 5 others like this.
  4. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I heard Texas is getting it hard.

Deuces likes this.
  5. -9 degrees this morning here in Clarksville, AR. with about 6 inches of snow out back. Calling for another 4" - 9" overnight. Too damn cold out in the shop to do anything, heater won't keep up!

Deuces likes this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

Hey 36,

Double glazing is just about standard for all new housing tracts and custom builds in So Cal. The refit program for older homes does wonders for keeping the noise and the cold out. It also keeps the heat in the whole house. We are in our final remodeling phase design for the post pandemic house changes. The last changes will be to continue to add the double pane Pella Windows to the windows we did not need when when we first moved to our final So Cal location. Our first install was replacing three giant windows, two sliding doors and three casement windows.

The majority of the storms comes from the ocean and the Northwest areas. So, our house is situated with the rear of the house facing that direction Northwest. With the new Pella Double Pane glass windows, it is quiet, secure and give a better look at the storms blasting that side of the house. The South facing side also got the Pella double glazing windows to ward off the Summer Southern storms blasting up the coast.

So, this time, we are finalizing the rest of the windows during our last remodeling phase. Right now, those single pane windows were good and never leaked. But, to match the rest of the newly installed double pane windows, the whole house will have those in place, once this pandemic is over.

Jnaki

Not only do the double pane windows keep the insulation of heat and cold, but the best thing for us is that the neighbors extra noises are a now a silent part of living. That is good for us. As our music and noises are kept to a minimum, too. But, our house when sealed up will still have good air circulation.

Our neighbor just had his whole house remodeled with new double pane windows. The installation of all of the windows was necessary when it comes time to sell later, after the pandemic is over. No house is sold with single pane windows or it will be as a bargaining chip when negotiations are in place. Stick with the well-known name brands as there are some double pane windows that are not put together well and may have to be replaced within years of installation.

In 1998, all of the iron framed casement windows (19) in our old Westside of Long Beach home were replaced with double pane windows, just as a selling point. Within a week of installation and advertising the old house, it sold fast.
    upload_2021-2-16_5-44-48.png
    It isn't freezing all of the time in So Cal, but it helps keep the utility bills lower than without those double pane windows. Now, it has to be a part of all housing needs, in mild to cold climates and freezing areas...YRMV

7. fordcoupeguy

fordcoupeguy

20210216_093529.jpg This is what you guys need. Power out-no problem.

Hamtown Al, Chavezk21, Deuces and 8 others like this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

do you have a natural gas stove in the kitchen? light it with a match, burners and oven, open the oven door. go to the water meter and turn off the water, open some faucets to allow for expansion without bursting pipes.... good luck

Hamtown Al, wfo guy, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

With power outages coupled with extreme temperature drops, now may be the time to do a welfare check on any elderly friends, acquaintances or neighbors that live alone, especially in the South where people, homes and utilities are not used to this extreme. That may be a neighbor that lives alone and doesn't have a car or family nearby. Give them a ring or 4x over, even if you don't really know them. I seem to do it every Summer when temps are triple digit and the power goes out. Old folks can be susceptible to extreme heat/cold. Us "car freaks" are a mechanical/resourceful bunch and can figure out ways to keep food fresh, cook, heat, etc. with the power out. Every day folks, not so much.

• You can prevent pipes from freezing by cracking a faucet so there is flow movement.
    • Food will stay fresh in fridge/freezer much longer if you don't open the doors. Be sure to not let it refreeze. Once any meat in freezer starts to thaw down, you'll need to refrigerate it or cook it, then refrigerate it. You can fill coolers with snow or better yet ice. Milk jugs filled with water and left outside will soon make good ice blocks for your cooler.
    • Check your smoke and CO2 detector backup batteries.
    • If your wood burning stove doesn't have a direct fresh air intake, crack a window.
    • You guys in the South with somewhat flat roofs need to be mindful of how much snow weighs. A flimsy shed with a 2/12 roof with a lot of snow can cave a roof.

10. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That is one stove Moriarity would use...... Retro 1950

Hamtown Al, egads, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

-22 in Omaha this morning with rolling blackouts (planned) to ease the stress on the power grid. Thankfully, they've been limiting each outage to approx. one hour and moving to a different area.

Deuces likes this.
  12. They have been telling us for years that the grid is fragile. This just proves it. Mother Nature can be a fickle bitch

13. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

The "Grid" &/or the infrastructure in this country is both antiquated & just plain worn out !

Deuces likes this.
  14. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I totally agree about the grid being over loaded. I feel for you guys in Texas. Saw on the news those wind turbines are frozen and causing black outs. I saw a documentary decades ago discussing wind energy and parts of Europe had stopped using them due to the maintaining them cost more than the energy they were producing.

yblock57, Deuces and 210superair like this.
  15. Must be we are just use to the cold and the in upstate NY-

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Got to 3-degrees last night... Rolling black outs. We get power for two and then no power for two... It's cold man. No water... all pipes are frozen despite my best efforts. Managed to break a few ribs ta boot... Good times!

210superair, slim38, Roothawg and 5 others like this.
  17. The Strawshop has done it again. Despite being below zero for a week it maintains about 50 in the shop (where the house utilities are) when the heat is shut off. 38 was the coldest it ever got but that was during Blizzard Atlas with 50mph winds driving the cold.

210superair, Roothawg and Deuces like this.
  18. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

-14 Here around 5 am. These temps and outages bring back memories of a long time ago back in Pa. .At the time we lived in an old Ex- Coal Mine Company House in Jerome, Pa.. Insulbrick (tar/asbestos) siding, no insulation and single pane windows. Furnace was coal fired and the heat radiated up from the basement through holes cut in the floor. Those holes were a popular parking spot! When we moved back to Benson WOW!!! Hot water radiator heat!!!

mad mikey, Deuces and mcsfabrication like this.
  19. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That really sucks, man. At least up here we're somewhat prepared for stuff like this.
    BTW...we went to the cabin this wkend. The furnace was turnd on only once (after I pulled my damn dog outta the cold water when he fell thru the ice). But man did I burn a lot of wood!

210superair and Deuces like this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was young my grand parents had an oil burning floor furnace about 5 ft from where my chair sits now and my mom's house had a very similar one in the hallway between my bedroom and the bathroom across the hall that heated the whole house that was about a third the size it is now. My sister and I used to stand over the furnace in our house on cold mornings to get warm.
    Now I need to get up and stoke up the fire in the wood stove.

21. Not me! I never complain about summer. I like it when it's so hot i can drink a case of water and never piss! My electric bill is normal, get in my pool, cookout, drive my old car, work with the garage doors up, e.t.c.... winter can suck my nutsack :rolleyes:

hotrodjack33, egads, wfo guy and 6 others like this.
  22. It's not that cold if you can put chains on with bare hands and you are getting mud on your tires. Looks like you guys are having fun though.

23. Unfortunately we’re all electric. My hot side pipes are frozen because they run through the attic, and aren’t insulated well, apparently. The are made of pex which gives me hope they’ll expand a little without busting.

Looks like one more night/day at least with no power.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like the dog has an opinion of your snowboarding style;):rolleyes:

warbird1, 35 Sedan, egads and 2 others like this.
  25. You should fare ok with PEX, it stretches well before it bursts. Has something like a 2K burst strength

yblock57, mad mikey, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  26. I didn't know that! That gives me some reassurance, thanks man.

mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  27. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would NOT want to be running second place to anybody:eek::eek:;)

28. Broke an all-time record last night, -2 at DFW Airport.

Deuces, chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  29. I hope you have a fireplace or at lest a kerosene heater. HRP

mad mikey, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. Not to make light of what you guys are going through as it sounds awful but to people who live in cold climates it does seem a little funny to see records broken at -2 when we have had a bunch of cold records broken last week in our area and they were in the -44F to -50F range without wind chill.

R A Wrench, egads, Deuces and 2 others like this.