Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frozen Stiff

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2021.

1. The snow, then the ice storm over the weekend caused a complete mess here in Virginia. The scene on the road out in front of where we live. We weren't the only ones without power.

thumbnail-1.jpeg thumbnail.jpeg

2. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

3. Blake 27

Blake 27

Today in NorCal it's a chilly 51, BURR!

4. We’re going on 12 hours without power in Fort Worth. The rolling blackouts kinda backfired, and they can’t turn us back on for some reason. Texas had no infrastructure for this. My in-laws power has been out 18 hours now.

So many people with pools have skating rinks, and probably damage due to the ice.

It’s only 48 degrees in the house, but dang!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. I found a guy with a 4x4 quad with a plow he did my driveway and a path to my shop. Woohoo! 817FAEB7-4289-4B43-A5C6-992A5E4A398D.jpeg

6. chriseakin

chriseakin

I stuck a layer of bubble wrap on the inside of our garage door. I think it helps.

mad mikey, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

He was delicious.

NoSurf, mad mikey, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  8. We are used to cold snaps up here even though our winters are mild. I do feel for you down South tho

mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  9. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Hope you bribed him with beer to come back cause you probably won't even be able to see that fence come morning.

Deuces, scotty t and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. ken bogren

ken bogren

It was -17F here this morning, next Monday it's supposed to be +37F for a high. Welcome to MN !

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. It snowed about an inch while he was here, he will be back.

12. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Bugger that, I freeze if the missus sets the airconditioning to 23 Celsius. :D

Deuces likes this.
  13. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Perfect Weather In Idaho....12 Degrees With A Bullet... 145293593_2861515127506083_656149551517960507_o.jpg

Hamtown Al, Deuces, CME1 and 2 others like this.
  14. Dead, I put him in that 72 Chevy C-10 and let him drive himself off of the cliff.

ekimneirbo, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Things are starting to thaw out finally here in the Portland area, there was this tree that came down on I-5 closing part of the Northbound lanes this morning.

upload_2021-2-15_16-47-46.png

Deuces, ramblin dan and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

We've got about a foot on the ground and it's coming down hard, supposed to be another foot by morning. We're enjoying it tho! Saw the Ford in my heated garage earlier and she's snoozing comfortably.
    20210213_162113.jpg 20210213_155604.jpg IMG_40971.jpg imagejpeg_0(10).jpg

Deuces, continentaljohn, Tman and 6 others like this.
  17. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

821e98ecca836948dca227a5ba63cf9d.gif

Don't drive angry Phil...

18. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Yeah -20 at night with high temps of -8. What’s a guy to do?
    Go look at old cars, naturally. Cold is cold but a good frame of mind helps get by.

Attached Files:

mad mikey, Deuces, mnjeff and 2 others like this.
  19. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Wait...7*? 7-above zero? Rookie. ;)

Deuces and 210superair like this.
  20. While your thinking about adding things to the store a cool beanie sure would be nice, someone posted the design I ask about a while back, heck even the roadster you showed on the Hoa Wela T would be cool. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  21. When I was in grade school, I was told that in the Dallas area, it was common to put pipes in the attic, thus when it got cold there was many problems including broken pipes and flooding. I'm slightly puzzled by the blackouts though. Us old guys have been through lots of cold through out the years. Winter time blackouts were usually caused by power line outage. Is the answer the continued demand for power and the lack of new plants? In my area the power company has been offering credits to consumers for all electric houses for years. Those of us with natural or propane gas can get by in many ways. A small generator will run the heater and keep you from suffering. I hope you all make it through with a minimum of damage and cost.

22. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I think the issue right now is the sheer volume / large area of the U.S. that is in need of heat / electricity right now... All at the same time.

We've had these cold spells in the past, especially in the Midwest and further north. This system has stretched all the way down to southern Texas. Very unusual.

mad mikey and Tim like this.
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My sister in law lives on Divide pass (Blanco address) About 7/10 miles from Ryan as far as I can figure and she has had power outages out there. Her place in Texas terminology is out in the Cedar breaks.
    I saw this photo of a cross country skier in Galveston on FB an hour ago. No sneaking off to Galveston to warm up this week.
    Cross country skier in Galveston.jpg
    My 51 1-1/2 ton has about a foot on top of it.
    IMG_0777 (2).JPG
    The sheds out back that have a lot of my parts stashes in them had a lot of the snow blown off them and end up in drifts Saturday night.
    IMG_0798.JPG IMG_0779.JPG
    No issues with power for the past 9 days but staying warm in the house isn't an issue but I need to clean the ashes out of it tomorrow, that Cherry wood I have been burning makes a lot of ash. I've got the big brother to that insert (Blaze King) for my shop.
    IMG_0811 (2).JPG I

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    warbird1, Hamtown Al, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  24. Hand milking cows at -30* sucks, but at least the cows provided some hand warmth. Imagine how the first cow felt when your ice-cold hands grabbed her 'tender parts'!

warbird1 and RICH B like this.
  25. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

To be fair it's what you grew up in. Been in the cold stuff all my life and am used to it. Add another layer of clothes.
    Get me down south in heat and humidity and I'm not going outside while the locals are doing yard projects.

26. southcross2631

southcross2631

I grew up in the U.P. of Michigan . Have lived in Colorado at 7,000 ft elevation. In Northern Az. In the northeast in New Jersey so cold weather is nothing new to me.
    Just add layers and don't let the wind hit your bare skin. Have had frostbite on my feet before and it's no fun. So stay safe . It's 21 here in east Tn. this morning with a high of 31 today. No snow to deal with just black ice.

Truckdoctor Andy and Deuces like this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-2-16_3-21-17.png Mt. Wilson Observatory above Pasadena, CA
    Hello,

Thanks for finding that classic “Snow Day” movie of So Cal. 1949 was a big event all over So Cal. From coastal areas along the waterline in Laguna Beach to the local Angeles National Forest and the San Bernardino National Forest. Living on the flatland of Westside Long Beach, we got snow on our two lawn areas. The neighbors were all outside playing in their own snow. It was a miracle. We had plenty of hail, but those long versions covered the grass areas, but melted within hours.

This 1949 snow was a doozy that lasted several days, all over So Cal from San Diego up to Santa Barbara. So, it was a one-of-a-kind event. The local, So Cal families that live on or near the mountain ranges get very cold temps all year around. They get more snow in their home areas, than we do, while living on the coast. The daytime temps are hotter, but the night time temps are a lot colder and when it rains where we are on the coast, those inland valleys and lower hillsides get their share of snow and freezing weather.
    upload_2021-2-16_3-22-7.png
    JAN 1968 FROM THE MT WILSON OBSERVATORY The Pacific Ocean (upper left) is approximately 60 miles SW.

Jnaki

My wife and I went on a road trip with the 1965 El Camino up the Angeles Crest Highway to a secondary road that led to the observatory. It was cold and we were layered with shirts/sweaters and jackets, + gloves. But, being beach people, it was still cold. When we were ready to go back down the hilly road, this is what we saw. A yellow filter and Ektachrome color film made an eerie destination. So, we stayed up in the snowy areas for a couple of more hours to let the prevailing winds blow out the thick fog.

It is not nice driving downhill or uphill on Angeles Crest Highway, especially during a thick blanket of fog.

upload_2021-2-16_3-23-2.png
    arty photo taken on same trail leading to the big dome and telescope.
    upload_2021-2-16_3-23-21.png
    DEC-JAN ARE THE COLDEST AND THE MOST CHANCES FOR VERY LOW TEMPS AND SNOW.

Cold, but not like minus degrees from the whole midwestern regions…
    upload_2021-2-16_3-24-38.png internet photo

When my wife’s parents moved to the Lake Isabella area, that is pretty far inland. But, being a little up in the altitude, it got its share of cold weather and definitely snow. Several Christmas holidays had the pipes frozen, so when we woke up, there was no water to be had inside the house. When the storms passed, the sun came out and heated up everything, to start the melting of the snow, it was no more locked in place in those family days. Then, we could get out of there and head for sunny coastal So Cal and home.
    upload_2021-2-16_3-27-5.png
    One disadvantage of an El Camino was the lightweight area behind the cab. It gave traction in the snow, but there was not an extra weight of a station wagon to make the tires really grab. But, in those overnights, the snow packed the bed in real tight and that gave the extra weight necessary to get down the mountain. By the time we were down into the flat land and sun, the snow had melted out of the bed. I would not like being in the position of following an El Camino packed with melting snow. It made a mess behind us everywhere we went.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    rusty valley likes this.
  28. I don't know how you guys do it! Do you have double glazing, or is that a dumb question? I have always said that I would like to spend a few days in the snow before I go to the big shed in the sky, but it looks like a lot of work just to be able to do "normal" stuff in that weather! I hope you all have nice warm toasty nuts for the winter!

Deuces likes this.
  29. 2857F2BB-C865-41E4-9D8F-B916423A74AB.jpeg 1F71208F-4CBF-4653-B4D0-5EB959FF22CE.jpeg 9F23F6F2-5B05-4892-B082-9D0D2A6E75BF.jpeg It’s 8 degrees at 6:30 Tuesday a.m. in s. Texas. Usually take the 32 cab out for a spin at least once a week—-not this week as s. Texas is bitterly cold. We are 100 miles east of Austin,90 miles north of Houston or s. Central Texas. Flatheads Forever!!

30. 24 hours without power, 0 degrees this morning. Starting to worry about my pipes inside the house...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces and 210superair like this.