Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford transmission

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Harley32, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Harley32

Harley32

Has anyone used a ford 3sp overdrive transmission behind a flathead they was from the 80 ford truck from what i gather[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

53 effie likes this.
  2. I had one in a 79 F150, 2:75 rear. Geared way too high. I would use at least a 3:73 rear. Made
    in Mexico. Came apart with low miles. I would look for T-5.

Crankshaft likes this.
  3. Harley32

Harley32

4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Most of those trannies would let you interchange most of the guts... ask the boys here as to what fits or works best.... '39 trannies are more $... but if you must change the cluster gear anyway, putting '39 guts in an older box isn't that bad. $...

5. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

The trans you have pictured is a TREMEC T170 RTS that came in 84-87 F150’s. It’s a different transmission than what was in the 79 pickup. Quite a few folks have used the T170 behind flatheads. Do a search. Also there are some threads over on The Ford Barn about that setup. I’m putting one behind my Flathead in my 39.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  6. LOL any transmission in any Ford made after about 1980 had a Mexican made transmission. :D

I got an idea that the transmission would hold up fine to 1o0 HP. One of the fellas had one in an F truck behind the stock 6 cylinder and it held up as long as the truck did.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I have one of the car versions, and even found the rare Hurst shifter made for it, thought I might try it in my 57 Sedan Delivery. They are not strong like the regular 4-speed toploaders, and would be a cruising-only choice, no dropped clutches etc. Probably comparable to a Munchie lol ;)

8. rusty valley

rusty valley

popular with the model A crowd because they fit without hacking the center cross member. also, some one makes the closed drive adapter for the rear

deathrowdave and stillrunners like this.
  9. Harley32

Harley32

10. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I have one apart right now.

This is an iron case side mount overdrive (smod). 20210207_163310.jpg 20210207_163303.jpg

What you have is the same internals but is called a "top mount overdrive" or TOD

53 effie and stillrunners like this.
  11. Yep - they made a cast iron OD first based on the Ford top loader 4 speed - can't believe a built flat head could tear on up.....then came the aluminum TOD - still strong enough for a banger or flathead. ford overdrive top loader.JPG ford tod 4 overdrive.JPG ford overdrive top loader.JPG ford tod 4 overdrive.JPG

chevyfordman and ronzmtrwrx like this.
  12. rusty valley

rusty valley

I want one !!!

chevyfordman likes this.
  13. goldmountain

goldmountain

I'm trying to locate one of those. Found one at the swap meet years ago but didn't get it because I didn't know what it was. Been looking for another for a long time.

14. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Keep an eye out at your local "you pull it" yard. They made a lot of them and those old F150's should be coming in all the time. Bronco's used them too.

stillrunners likes this.
  15. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I just bought one last week here in the HAMB ads ... gonna put it in my 37 truck :)

stillrunners likes this.
  16. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Tremec T-176 is the same basic transmission without the overdrive, still top shift. Came in Jeeps and has the short tail shaft to couple with a transfer case. I have rounded up 3 of them in various conditions for my 29 sedan. One sat with a couple inches of water in it, one has a broken reverse idler gear from rocking the Jeep back and forth in a mud hole (and speed shifting I imagine), third one the guy said it needs bearings.

I have a warmed up B engine from H & H, not installed yet and 21" wheels (with Coker radials) . I think direct drive in 4th gear will be fine for my car on Alaskan roads, no freeways here to merge onto. If I recall correctly the chart said about 2800 rpm at 65 mph, good enough for me and stock brakes even with the Flathead Ted kit.

stillrunners likes this.
  17. goldmountain

goldmountain

After the last comments on here, I spent a bit of time surfing the web to try and find one and they still seem to be a bit scarce. I remember finding the SROD - the side rod overdrive but not these. In the classified ads here, Dan32Ohio has one listed but chances are, it will be gone by the time the Covid 19 border restrictions are lifted.

Luke4554 likes this.
  18. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

This is the one I bought last week, from Dan32Ohio ......

19. goldmountain

goldmountain

My point exactly. I currently have an older cast iron overdrive unit with the Jeep T-176 shifter top adapted to it, but it makes for a really bad shift pattern where if you don't get third gear exactly, it is easy to hit reverse and grind the gears.

20. rusty valley

rusty valley

No location in your avatar, so i don't know its just down the street, or half way across the world. how much? where ? did it work?

48fordnut likes this.
  21. I found one at a Pick your Part (when they used to have a 40% off day) a few years ago, it has the .70 o/d (BS code). Mine has a dual bell bolt pattern and I'm hoping it will fit a '51 Merc bell.

22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

That trans is gift for you , behind a flat motor . If you tear into it look for counter shaft wear . The OD gear spins on the counter shaft (loads) . Under normal driving it will hold up fine for you . I have one for my 32 that is the SROD model from a Mustang . I prefer yours with the top shift in a hot rod . But I could not locate one .

23. 53 effie

53 effie

I have one of those.. hope to use it in my 1927 T roadster build. Any issues getting parts as I am sure mine will need going through?

I think I saw a magazine article once where they swapped the guts of a regular 1960s toploader 4 speed into one. That might be the way to go as I want to use mine behind a SBF..

24. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Cleaned ,rebuilt, and ready to go into my 41 p/u eventually. I'm using the stock rear end converted to open drive with repo Lincoln brakes and 28 spline axle conversion from Hot Rod Works.

53 effie and harpo1313 like this.
  25. Jeff Stevenson

Jeff Stevenson

Does ANYONE have one of these RTS transmissions for sale or know where one is? I've been looking for a good 2 years and I must have called 35 junk yards. I found one yesterday but it had the 41% OD in it and that is just too tall for my 1930 stock roadster.

I love this car but detest the trans...

Jeff

26. Ducbsa

Ducbsa
    from Virginia

Jeff, have you looked at the all synchro Mitchell trans?

27. I don't know where your at but they pop up here quite often at pick your parts (1984-87 F-150), you just have to pull it out yourself. I was going to pull some more when I saw them but I didn't think the market was that big for them.

28. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have one in my avatar. Wonderful transmission. Fully synchronized and has overdrive

29. goldmountain

goldmountain

Saw another one listed here in the HAMB classifieds and missed out again.

30. synchro7

synchro7

I have one in my avatar behind a mild build 289. Works great, but I don't get crazy with it because of the wire wheels. What kind of money are they going for now days. I gave $50.00 to a private party for mine in the late 90's. Came out of a burned out 87 F150.