Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Model AV8 Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Willows, Jan 28, 2019.

1. doubleduece

doubleduece

How much abuse can the model A rearend take?
    I see a lot of guys use it, so I figured I would ask.
    I'm still learning to hopefully do a project of my own someday.

2. Willows

Willows

Can take plenty for sure, at least everything that a flathead will throw at it. People often use other motors with more oomph with same rear end without problems. This is actually a v8 rear end that im using, but people do use A with flatheads still, maybe not as often tho.
    Yeah im still learning also, think that is the way it is with this. Would definitely recommend doing your own, its really fun and rewarding. It helps alot too if you have mates who are into it - thats how it is for me at least. PLus theres tonnes of great advice and builders on here. A

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    brEad, RustyBullet and PINEAPPLE like this.
  3. Willows

Willows

This weeks work was on the radiator and headlights. I had bought a aluminium rad the closest height i could find that may work was a 25.5" one. Once i got i realised that it was still slightly too tall - with the grill shell on and it placed where i wanted it, it was about 2" too high. I am after a 1" drop on hood with 2" extension of hood, with a slight lean forward of grill. So i had to cut the bottom of the rad up and modify it.

IMG_2936.jpeg IMG_2937.jpeg IMG_2963.jpeg

I added mounting tabs on the bottom, then welded studs to the front cross member. To hold the stud straight in place whilst it was welded i drilled a small point to locate it and made a holder with access to weld.

IMG_3131.jpeg IMG_3132.jpeg IMG_3104.jpeg

brEad and PINEAPPLE like this.
  4. Willows

Willows

Headlights brackets are bent F1 shock mounts with model A cups off a headlight bar. It was a nightmare getting them identical as i could, took a while! Healdlights are BLC 682.
    IMG_3213.jpeg IMG_3215.jpeg
    I also cut the frame horns shorter and boxed them in, i still havent finished welding them tho.
    IMG_3217.jpg

5. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Looks good my friend. Stoked to take it for a Rip!

6. Willows

Willows

Hi guys. This week i made a little progress on the car. Hopefully it will be ready to drive to Bonneville this year. I installed the studs, i wasnt looking forward to installing these i had bought Offy ones and i just wasnt sure if i liked the fit of them. With sone encouragement from Pineapple i did. Using #2 permatex in the block. I also wiped out the last threads in the heads by countersinking themm, now the plugs stick out nice.
    IMG_3312.jpeg
    #
    Now i had a problem with firewall clearance and the manifold and fuel pump/oil filler. I got these big ballz this one is 3" using a press and a pipe with just over 3" i pressed a sheet of 18ga between and got this nice hemisphere, welded into a hole in the fire wall.
    IMG_3418.jpeg
    IMG_3419.jpeg

to make the oil fill work i needed to make a offset pipe. I used welded aluminium 1 3/4 pipe, i needed to flare it so the fill cap would fit. I made a tapered pipe and pressed it in it worked really good. Then to make the dimples in the top i made another little tool with slots for the inside, with a coller on the outside and screwed in a rounded bolt which worked good also! pretty pleased with it, but these small little things take so long to do!
    IMG_3351.jpeg
    IMG_3416.jpeg
    IMG_3409.jpeg IMG_3417.jpeg
    also rebuilt and painted a oil filled fan, the fan had a big gouge in it so welded it up first. the vice grips that are on it are really neat they have a copper anvil on the bottom so they are great for welding in thin air.
    IMG_3336.jpeg IMG_3337.jpeg IMG_3420.jpeg

Slowly but surely.

Al

7. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

that oil filler pipe trick is awesome! Fantastic work as usual my friend.

sloppy jalopies likes this.
  8. Soviet

Soviet

Nice work! Don't know how this thread has eluded me until now, but I love all of the purpose-built tools and clean craftmanship. Keep it up & thanks for sharing in such detail!

38 Hump and sloppy jalopies like this.
  9. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

And yet another fantastic welder, fabricator. Thank you.
    Beautiful work.

jim

10. Willows

Willows

Thanks Jim & Soviet really appreciate it! We got a nice day in CO so will try and get out there and spend hours doing very small work.

11. Willows

Willows

Cheers mate! Ill bring it in tomorrow for coffee.

12. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Ordered a 3" chopped thursday, the '32 frame raises 1.5" from the cowl to the radiator...
    the A body did not, so the stock A radiator is 1.5" too tall... couldn't find a 1.5 or a 2" chopped...
    also the lower pans are like willows, just flat, he fixed his nicely...
    figure the extra chop should keep me from having to fix mine...
    the tanks will show, but a flat black the face and the use of a blacked out 4' fluerescent light defusers
    [small plastic squares] they hide the tanks and the pattern blends with a radiator..
    pix ; top unpainted, middle and painted bottom installed DSCN5458.JPG DSCN1073.JPG DSCN4376.JPG

alanp561, brEad and Willows like this.
  13. Willows

Willows

Looking good Sloppy, I really like your use of the fluorescent diffusers. really clever and looks great! Yeah i had had trouble finding a radiator of the right height. I think i had created a bit of trouble for myself by doing a mini channel of the body over the rails.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  14. Willows

Willows

Today i made some longer studs to use an offset gen mount. I was going to buy some but the ones i had seen were just 7/16-14 all thread. I didnt have any 7/16 crs to hand but some 1/2" so turned it down to a bit under - .431. I then adjusted the die so it was a real nice fit into the block. I had thought that the offy ones i had bought were a bit loose. I wish i had made the shorter ones too although 45 more didnt sound so fun.
    IMG_3424.jpeg IMG_3425.jpeg IMG_3427.jpeg IMG_3428.jpeg
    I did also cut the hub down on the bottom pulley to line up the belts.
    IMG_3429.jpeg
    I started cleaning up a old deco style heater, its going to be more work than i thought. The core is no good and was full of HORNETS! Arggh! Found a new AL heater core on the bay which will work good.

Thats all i got for now, thanks folks......

kadillackid and 48fordnut like this.
  15. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Really nice to have the equipment and know how to use it.
    Keep up the march.

jim

16. 51box

51box
    from MA

Really nice work

17. Willows

Willows

Thank you! I love your coupe mate, inspiration for sure. Amazing.

18. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Willows likes this.
  19. DrJekyllMrHyde

DrJekyllMrHyde

I really goes through the same concerning the energy to work on my project.
    Thinking all (working)day of all the things I will do, some drawings, order stuff, then at home - drained!

But good luck on your project, and maybe look for insulation and heating in the garage?

Regards Uffe

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Willows likes this.
  20. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Hi , I am 57 this year and have built many many "projects" including a house whilst also working full time as a maintenance tech in an oil refinery (some years working the equivalent of 16 months due to overtime) so I feel qualified to offer a little bit of advice ! On the way home from work plan a job ,even something like taking off the back wheel or removing some paint with a sander etc .When you get home DO IT ! , don`t go in and sit down and have a coffee just say hi to the Wife /Gf or kids then go straight out and work for an hour (even if you have to change into overalls in a cold garage) those hours work out at 5 a week ,double that up with getting up an hour early and finishing last nights job before setting off for work and you have done 10 hours !I built my truck whilst working full time and bringing up 2 kids with no wife so it can be done ,good luck and stick into the project.

alanp561, redoxide, skip65 and 2 others like this.
  21. Willows

Willows

Thanks Uffe, Im glad to hear i am not the only one! I have built an insulated room inside now with insulated barn doors i think that you can see in some of the photos. I also put a heater in the main part which has help immensely. we are also having a very mild winter which has help with my productivity!

Regards

22. Willows

Willows

Thanks TrikeJunkie, I hear ya mate, I made a list last night and it seemed doable. I have exhaust mandrel bends coming this weekend so i can start on that. Cheers for the encouragement!

trikejunkie likes this.
  23. vilanar

vilanar
    from Finland

Nice work ! Its great to see good welding and machining.. I like Tig welding a lot and I’m sure you do too. No cleanup work afterwards.
    Keep up the great work!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Willows likes this.
  24. Willows

Willows

Vilanar! Thanks very much. Yeah i couldnt survive with just mig now i have had tig!

25. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

I used to only have oxy-acetylene! then 30 years ago got a mig ....what a difference to life lol now I have tig also ,life is perfect! (well almost )

Willows likes this.
  26. m.ralph

m.ralph

Hi Alan, here's mine 30 Coupe that I built a couple years ago. Before and after.

(49)SAM_1044.JPG SAM_1214.JPG

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    alanp561 and Willows like this.
  27. clem

clem

.......and I am struggling to believe this comment, - or you are very modest.....
    Awesome build thread and nice workmanship ! - Glad that you posted it. The hamb needs more build threads.

Willows likes this.
  28. Willows

Willows

Lovely stuff Mr Ralph! getting excited to drive mine. hopefully that will happen this year. does that have a rear wind down window? i wish mine had that, must of been a late model thing?

29. Willows

Willows

Thanks Clem appreciate the comment. Yeah first car, i have built a motorcycle before (i say built i mean got about 90% completed then stopped). Been machining stuff and making random things for long time think alot of that down to my artist dad and a very enthusiastic shop teacher when i was about 12, which eventually led me to tech college for engineering and machining in UK.
    Hope all is well in NZ.

clem likes this.
  30. m.ralph

m.ralph

yes, mine had a roll down window.. Willow, you can add it, there are accessories for it.