Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Jegs cut 40 plasma cutter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Feb 13, 2021.

1. I constantly get text messages from Jeg's friends & family sales and i usually don't need what's in the ad. But they sent me this, and it's cheap! Has great reviews, but before i place the order i thought I'd see if anybody has one that can give a real review. Screenshot_20210213-223040_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210213-223218_Chrome.jpg

2. I don't have one but you can't argue with the price, John has a Miller, it cuts up to 3/8" thick metal and was over 1,500 bucks.

I've used it a couple of time and I will be following this thread to to see if any of the guys here have purchased one of these, it's tempting. HRP

TCATTC likes this.
  3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No experience with this unit but time and time again it gets said on this board, "you get what you pay for" or something to that affect. Just saying.

Deuces, Hnstray, HSF and 3 others like this.
  4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Slightly OT... There was a show on PBS this week that had a segment that talked about thermal lances (super metal cutters) that are commonly used for industrial cutting. The LOL part was when some smarty pants scientist made one with a bacon lance (prosciutto actually). Tasty.

treb11, warbird1 and chevy57dude like this.

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

China must be spittin em out. Never seen prices like this

asdf.JPG

Deuces and AHotRod like this.
  6. Everyone is selling cheap plasmas now. Most of them seem to be getting good reviews. Only downside is most haven't been around for long to see about longevity but for that price it would be worth the risk if one was only going to use it once in a while.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. RMONTY

RMONTY

I've got a Chinese plasma cutter and it does ok for light stuff. I use it mainly for demo or destruct projects. I cant bitch for $200...

8. j hansen

j hansen

I bought this from EBAY 152USD. Its OK up to 1/4 Skärmavbild 2021-02-14 kl. 06.02.58.png

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buy it but make sure you buy enough consumables to last a few years. The problem with products made "west of California" is getting replacement parts.

10. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have 2 one cuts up to 1/2 in , operates on 220V the other cuts up to 1/4 in , operates on 110 V . Both are great machines . Only issue is , both of mine you must maintain 80 psi of clean “ dry “ air or your done . Lloyd , you being a paint and body man will love it . I’m sure you have dry air in the shop if your painting anyway . Good Luck and buy extra consumables with the purchase , that may be the big issue with these units , no parts to keep them cutting . Both of mine are Linde , I think that’s how you spell it . We had huge machines at work to do pipeline work with that would laugh at 3/4 in plate 100 % of the day . Good Luck Mr. Lloyd , just be sure to use your PPE, keep the eyes and fingers safe . Also I have learned many many years ago the foam ear plugs are the greatest to keep rust , junk and hot sparks out of ones ears . I noticed I had an issue , when I was welding , left ear was up and sparks were falling out of the right ear to the ground !! That was a real no brainer on my part !

X-cpe, alanp561, Dedsoto and 13 others like this.
  11. Plasma cutters have their uses; they'll cut almost anything made of metal; steel, stainless, aluminum (particularly good for this), galvanized or plated, even painted, it doesn't care although you do need a bare clean spot to start it. I've got a ESAB I bought years ago, I don't use it that often but it's very handy when I do. Use it right and it leaves a very clean edge. I have three comments... One, take the max cutting thickness with a large grain of salt; for best results, divide the rated thickness in half. Two, as Bandit Billy noted, make sure you can get the consumables as you will need some if it lasts any amount of time although at these prices you almost have to assume these are throwaways. If they're available, I'd buy at least three 'extra' sets. Three, if you have any medical electronics on your person this may not be for you; they can put out a lot of RF noise.

alanp561, Hnstray, 5window and 2 others like this.
  12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I don't believe in the "You get what you pay for" crap. I have a HF/Chicago Electric 40 and it has done good for me for a few years now.
    I cut car frames, sheet metal, etc with it.
    I'm not going to pay x-amount of dollars for a brand name item that doesn't do any better.
    I would buy the Jegs. As said, buy plenty of consumables.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  13. rusty valley

rusty valley

not mentioned yet i believe, you still need to grind the edge clean to have a nice weld. they leave the same edge of high carbon slag as a torch. dont have one, wish i did, go to the neighbors when necessary, but for that price, it seems like a winner....but its supporting china,not america...i'll pass

14. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

They have the 50 pilot arc style for 220 on eBay.

If I was going to buy a plasma cutter I'd make sure its a pilot arc and I'd definitely try 1 of the ebay ones like above.

In fact I've been watching 1 on eBay. Just deciding if we get that big stimulus check they keep talking about I just may end up with one

sunbeam likes this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

Check the duty cycle, I’ve a small 30 amp, has 2 settings, it’s older but after a cut I have to wait a long time before it cycles back to let me cut again. My other is larger and goes to 60 amp and I rarely max it out. Both bought used, and as mentioned they will leave a bit of scarf, but so much easier to clean up than the way I run a torch.
    I smoked so many tips it not funny, I made a shield/ guide to keep from letting the nozzle touch the metal when cutting and to keep it to a square cut.

Both of mine have some type of air filter thing on them, bigger one has a regulator as well. My mind is drawing a blank on brands, but no matter. They’re a great tool but stock up on consumables, it’s not like a torch tip you can just clean out every so often, when it quits cutting, it’s done.

alanp561, Hnstray and catdad49 like this.
  16. bchctybob

bchctybob

Years ago I spent $2000 on a Thermal Dynamics unit, hated it. I could cut nicer with my oxy-acetylene torch. It ate a tip with every cut and the tips were EXPENSIVE. I sold it. A few years back I bought an Eastwood unit for around $600 and it’s way better than that $2000 unit. The price has come down and the technology has improved. Following the trend, I’d say that $200-300 unit will be great! Considering the kind of stuff that you do I’d go for it.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  17. j hansen

j hansen

This is a cut I did in 6mm (1/4) steel with my 152 USD plasma. Skärmavbild 2021-02-14 kl. 09.32.10.png

quick85, reagen, clem and 9 others like this.
  18. Hey if I ran a plasma every day/ all day i could see buying a hypertherm. But i don't. Just the occasional boxing plate or cutting out a floor, shit like that. Big E at the firehouse has a Hobart plasma, the one with the built in compressor, iirc he paid around $800, and that thing is a piece of shit. I've borrowed it a few times. With a 1 year warranty i don't see it being a bad deal. I spend that much in cutoff wheels and portable bandsaw blades a year lol.

19. It's a 60% duty cycle. Screenshot_20210214-100444_Chrome.jpg

alanp561 and Budget36 like this.
  20. Gotta say I was on the fence about clicking this thread. Lloyd could have been setting us up...

21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LMAO. Yeah, I know what you mean. Could'a been anything from a ham sandwich, to a blow-up doll:p

22. The doll is more likely. Either that or a ''longest turd'' entrant.

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

At the $200 ish price point, it becomes a disposable tool, much like a $200 TV or microwave. Might be worth a roll of the dice if you have an occasional use for one or a huge project that involves cutting a rotten floor, firewall or quarters out of a car. Or cutting up a couple of parts cars for disposal/recycling.

24. Let me know how it works out if ya do it.
    I could use one at home.
    I cut the big stuff with a torch. A small cheap machine like that would be cool at the house.
    We have a hypertherm ordered for school. We finally killed the Miller. It lasted about 12 years worth or student abuse.

25. My only concern would be the consumables, are they readily available and reasonably priced...

26. I sure as hell could have used one when I cutting boxing plates for my trucks frame! No telling how many cut-off wheels I went through.

27. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I bought a Eastwood 60 & I'm almost happy with it except for consumables! They are expensive and I use more than my share of them. Considering I use this once a year, I could live without it.

28. 36and63

36and63
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Wisconsin

Free standard shipping as well...

29. One of the reviews i read on it said he had used it for like 12 hours and the tip still looked new. I'm gonna pull the trigger on it. Kinda hard no to give it a try.

30. 55blacktie

55blacktie

If you're a professional, buy the best tools you can afford. For rare/occasional use, buy according to price, reviews, and return policy. I'm happy with most of the Harbor Freight stuff, and I've never had a problem returning what I didn't like.