Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old show car ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by reefer, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Part of a story we don't know...I will say the peeps are no daily's that's for sure...that's what I have...but it's a period look...there was a rectangular mirror I've seen on 50s Deuces and others similar that might offer a better Safer View...most of the time I'm moving forward peeps are on both sides ready for action...

There's a New Jersey Hotrod story here...One of my favourite vintage pics is a channeled Deuce Roadster...so seeing this back in the day is a hope...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and warhorseracing like this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A guy would probably have to dig though the old east coast rod magazines to see if he could find it.

I'm going out on a limb and say that the truck mirrors are an ode to a left hand drive car in a right hand drive world that has rather poor visibility to the rear with the top up to boot. Odd ball nerfs and lights, most likely to get past the rules of the road there.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Notice the abnormally high windshield compared to the posts? The top of the frame is higher than the posts.

4. reefer

reefer

Hi Gordon, thanks for the info, Imknew some of its history over here but not all of it. I knew John Kerr brought in a few Hotrods, one of which( the chopped Model A sedan, Fruit Machine) sits in a garage locally , not in a good state but he won’t sell..... same old story, he’s going to fix it up one day.John Kerr also has a really nice A roadster pickup in that group and was for sale last year on the usual HotRod sales sites... in really good condition by the look of it.
    I have the old show programme somewhere, I’m sure, from the Manchester show, I’ll try and find it and see if it mentions anything about the car.
    I’ve tried finding it over the years but never found it.... I know it’s in Cumbria last time I heard.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. 35cab

35cab

Hi again,
    I think in terms of the car's history if not in Custom Car it may have been Hot Rod and Custom that it appeared, sadly I no longer have these magazines but in the back of my mind there is a picture of it in its original form.
    Mark knew of someone who, a few years ago, had seen another couple of rods in John Kerr's garage ( I think a commercial vehicle shop)
    If neither Ian or Mark have caught this thread I will send them the link and maybe they can add a couple of missing bits of the jigsaw.
    The A RPU is a nice car, I think it was John Kerrs son who had it.
    To be continued......

6. reefer

reefer

Gordon... this is the truck sold last year
    upload_2021-2-13_21-8-14.jpeg

bchctybob, Stogy, 35cab and 1 other person like this.
  7. 34Larry

34Larry

Oh no, now you did it!! Polluted this thread by mentioning S. Beast.
    kidding of course

bchctybob likes this.
  8. redoxide

redoxide

The kerr Family run a reasonably large haulage business near Glasgow. The truck mirrors John added were probably a throw back to that background .
    Last time I even heard of this car it was at one of the NSRA swap meets . We used to bump into the owner all the time . Im struggling to remember the fellas name , He was a bit of a biker, always head to toe in biker leathers and had a mass of ginger hair and a massive ginger beard . Totally eccentric like dude but a genuine fella . He had the roadster stored away with numerous other stuff. He talked the talk and although he was obviously into the hot rod thing Im not sure if he was a hands on guy. The car was described as being pretty rough. It was reputedly an early built car but not all cars garnered super star status. it was probably just another hot rod of its day ..
    The fella I spoke to mentioned that the floor was toast as was a fair bit of the body but it was still restorable. If I remember right his plan was to un channel it and build it in a more traditional style . Im 100% sure that never happened. It has to be 10 years since I was at any swap meets. Last one I was at was when I bumped into you in that big exabit ion centre place .. I dont remember seeing that fella there .. so its prior to that.. He would be well into his 70s now .. Mark migh have a better memory for names than I do .. Lacality wise the fella was from the borders area .. if I remember rightly..

35cab, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. reefer

reefer

Thanks Ian.... let’s hope it gets saved one day... his old Sedan Delivery is sat festering near here... a sad sight.

Stogy likes this.