Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects pickup cabs

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by easyrider47, Feb 13, 2021.

1. easyrider47

easyrider47

I ought a 30-31 pickup cab that was badly damaged on the right rear of the cab. It pushed the corner in from the rear right side to the door. We pushed it out with a porta power but when we released the pressure it sprang back in. I've been advertising for a cab back but no luck so I guess I have to try and fix this one. Does anyone have any ideas about getting this repaired. I didn't try heat because I didn't know if it would warp it. I have another cab but it has a sedan back panel and the belt lines don't match. thanks, Mike

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'm no metal man but perhaps when you push it out with the porta power try a little light heat to relax the metal then cool it with a wet rag.

WB69 and trevorsworth like this.
  3. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

4. To overcome springback, you need to go past the point you want to stay at. That is probably not possible with the rest of your cab holding things. So you need to release the spring back by heat or strategic cuts that you then weld back up. Being smashed in, the metal is probably not straight anyway, and depending on work hardening, the heat may be the best solution.

WB69 likes this.

5. grumpy65

grumpy65

Pics will definately help.

6. Hnstray likes this.
  7. easyrider47

easyrider47

I liked the article but can you tell me how to save it all. I probably won't start til spring.

8. chev34ute

chev34ute

There are a number of options. This is what I did. The corners were made up with a mallet, shrinker stretcher and English Wheel.

353C40BD-E99E-4FC8-9C07-CA3EA6CECFE9.jpeg