Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old show car ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by reefer, Feb 12, 2021.

1. reefer

reefer

Does anyone have any info or history on the roadster in the picture. The picture was taken at a show at Belle Vue, Manchester , England around 1980 ish.
    The car was imported from America by a man from Scotland.The only time I’ve seen the car was at the show... it’s still in existence and is virtually the same I believe although locked away for many years.
    I’m just curious to know if it was a known car on the circuit back then and if any other photos exist of it.
    I have no connection with the car and am just wondering if it sparks any memories out there.

upload_2021-2-12_10-17-25.jpeg

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like it...I look forward to someone chiming in with the History...I wonder...Tweedy and the Hawaiian Deuces are along similar inspiration in profile...I wonder if the Truck mirrors are a modern entity...I don't believe I've saw those on a Vintage Hotrod and theres no question it has a vintage past...or does it?

Thanks for sharing it @reefer...;)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. To me it looks like someone tried to make a deuce into a kit car. Then added truck mirrors.:confused:

4. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Truck mirrors and whatever the front bumper is supposed to be.

mad mikey, X38 and quick85 like this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's interesting that the Mirrors and badges and a couple of visibility lights and a funky late fifties early 60s Nerf/ Custom look would deem it a kit car...

Maybe the drivers old and the peep mirrors don't cut it...

03-2.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=41956

:rolleyes:...here's another kit car

So Hamber Friends across the pond...what's the story on this New Jersey Deuce or better than that how about it New Jersey Hambers?...

6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I'm surprised it doesn't have VW turn lamps on top of the fenders.

X38 likes this.
  7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Looks like it ran over a shopping cart.

8. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Hahahaha.......you win the fucking internet for a day with that ...lol!

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@reefer did you crop the show card off? If you can see the card it may tell the story...sparks...he he he...inferno is more like it...:eek:

10. reefer

reefer

It’s not a kit it’s a genuine Henry.... I’m pretty sure it came as is... mirrors and all.

11. alchemy

alchemy

I bet all the add-on lights and mirrors were done in Europe so they could register it.

Cymro, brad2v, VANDENPLAS and 6 others like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some detail looks a little post 65 but not all me thinks...do you have a pic of the Show Card?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

New Jersey Hambers we can identify a rusty crushed ole fordor in 2 minutes
    And here we have a complete channeled survivor and know one knows diddly...:oops:...gitt your eyes off them truck mirrors...:D

14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has NJ plates, so it could be an old East Coast channeled roadster that got fenders (and other crap) added.

mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Stogy types faster than I do;)

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  16. 1934coupe

1934coupe

This is a long shot but here goes. The owner of Englishtown Raceway Park Vincent Napoliello ( Vinnie Napp) had a roadster that looked similar but was black and without all that stuff of course. One thing unique to it was the independent 9" Ford rear with inboard drum brakes. Like I said a long shot.

Pat

17. That's my point.:rolleyes:
    They have managed to make it look like a kit car. It's not a compliment.

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rear window looks a bit like a RPU, which may help explain the mirrors...or not

mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  19. bchctybob

bchctybob

Even though we know it's not, X38 is right it gives off the Street Beast, kit car vibe, not sure why. The stickers in the windshield look like mid 70s. Is there a list of the entrants in that car show? Looks like 303 was the entrants number.

20. reefer

reefer

You can see the car at 9.16 secs...

FlatJan, stillrunners, Lepus and 2 others like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He did say it was a Roadster...I believe he took the picture...

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It really wasn't about it being passed off as Authentic Traditional Roadster, it was about does anybody know of its history before 1980...perhaps it has that shit removed already...it's even posted on the Hokey Ass Forum as it should...heavens tumergatroid batman...I hope someone digs up some vintage pics pre 65 to bring some closure to it...yeah it's too bad its gauded up but hopefully it will see a former glory...;)

23. SPEC

SPEC

Excellent Rod & Custom Show!

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20210212_175932.jpg

:rolleyes:...There is no question this IF a vintage pre 65 Hotrod it has evolved with the movement and obviously had no doubt the obvious discussed details and also Indy Fat Rubber unfortunately but it certainly was a more common direction than not...secondly it may have had many of these details added State side as evolving with the movement...:confused:...good word for it...:p...had no borders...

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  25. 35cab

35cab

Nige,
    The car was from NJ , imported and "customised" by John Kerr in Glasgow along with a few other early Hot Rods. I am pretty sure it came over as a traditional rod and it, along with the others (a channeled 32 chevy coupe and an A delivery) all got Rover V8s , Jago tube axles and the mirrors etc.
    I saw it in Edinburgh, (nearly 40 years ago !) where he mentioned a bit about its history, also saw it in Manchester, really liked the full-fendered and channeled look, you just had to look past the trinkets to see a really cool car. It was featured in Custom Car around the time of the Manchester show, again I think there was some of its US history mentioned.
    The car was later sold to a nice guy in the Scottish Borders and joined a large collection of cars and bikes, I met the guy at NSRA swap meet about 20 years ago.
    I am sure Mark and Ian know of him, I have often wondered about its US history and what happened to it over the intervening years.
    I still dream of it and would love to see it again, hopefully with the extraneous bits removed.
    Gordon.

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Getting warmer...thanks @35cab...;)

27. Those mirrors just....hurt.....

28. Those mirrors, polished stainless steel body and chrome arms looked great on my 1964 F 350 Dually flatbed:cool:. Not so much on a hot rod.:(

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe they're sitting in the garage on a shelf replaced with something more fitting...that could be brought back to an early to mid fifties channeled Hotrod, I find the spiro bar bumper, maybe they were at a show they pulled a trailer too...

chryslerfan55 and warhorseracing like this.
  30. True, but if that were the case why would you leave them on when you got there. The old strap on the door, temporary trailer mirrors that U Haul used to require and alot of people used would have been a better choice for a show car IMO.