Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Coldest Temp You Drove Rod Or Custom In?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Six Fix, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Don't hate cool weather, not crazy bout super dangerous frigid weather. Most of the posters above know 20 to 40 below temps are not just uncomfortable but downright dangerous...

Deuces likes this.
  2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

It must be cold in Manitoba if you need two suns to warm up! LOL
    Over in Victoria they were checking out some flowers and supposedly cherry blossoms last week.

Deuces and Flat Six Fix like this.
  3. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Most of you guys got me beat. Back in 08 or 09 I drove my 50 Chevy pickup sans heater to work one January morning when it was 18F. Wouldn’t have been too bad except for the holes in the floor and cowl.

Budget36, Deuces and Flat Six Fix like this.
  4. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

While Vancouver had record lows last night.
    At least I can afford my shack and yard here, it be worth millions on that Island.
    I would like your winters but not the rest. Too much rain, mist and clouds. Most BC folks would wither and perish out here....lol
    Prince George aint no hotspot today either.
    Spent time setting up my new used compressor.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  5. Oldb

Oldb

Had a 58 f600 with a 292 that was a sure starter when it was cold. That was a good truck. But what brings a smile as I look outside now at the falling snow and lows predicted in the teens is that now I am retired and all I have to worry about is getting the mail and news paper until this blows over. When I was dairy farming I absolutely hated cold weather. I was responsible for 9 pieces of diesel powered machinery needed to feed 900 head of cows in -20 degree weather with the nights dipping well below that. Plus the wind chill. Everything had a block or tank heater and got plugged in at night. Always treated the crap out of the diesel starting in mid October after the one year I got stuck with summer diesel and -20. That was an experience.
    B

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  6. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

I would never have thought Walla Wally got that cold.

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Hats off to my Canadian H.A.M.B. friends, you guys have some thick skin. Hang in there and stay safe and warm.

8. You guys in the Great White North are tough!!
    I’ve driven my roadster, no heat, in 17*. Balmy for ya’ll.

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  9. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Hmmm eastern SD ain't exactly tropical, but Sioux Falls is still warmer than Winnipeg or Grand Forks....o_O

10. Can't really match you northern guys on that below stuff - but had my most fun around Dallas at about 30 or so with what we call snow. Remember a super cold January when the cheapest vehicle to fix to take us all to work was my Stude truck just needing a new clutch. We put a new clutch in it after dark thirty - my buddy had the best seat inside the cab with drop lights keeping him warm as I worked the replacement in from the bottom. We all made work for the next week for that next pay check !

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  11. Drove my 1939 Coupe as my daily for a few years- so whatever the temps were in MI for those two years. Had a bit of a heater but very little in the way of defrosters. Frost on the inside of the windshield always a problem.

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

That’s the shitty side of the state I live on the western side in the beautiful Black Hills!

270bob, R A Wrench and Flat Six Fix like this.
  13. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Cold? No... not Down Under. But have driven my avatar in 115F (46C) weather.

Genuine factory 4an80 Airconditioning... 4 windows down an' 80 miles an hour :):cool:

Cheers,
    Harv

seb fontana likes this.
  14. trollst

trollst

Yeah, its cold, -21 right now, -30 by morning. My shop had ice on the inside of the windows, spent the whole day feeding the wood stove, -10 when I went in, finally +15, by days end. Can't wait for balmy -5 days to return, tee shirt weather.

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  15. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Okay I have a good story. I lived in Fairbanks,AK until 1988. It gets friggin cold up there. I will call my 64 C-10 a Custom as it was a Custom trim level and the cab was green and the bed tan.
    It was my DD and I drove that thing in -45 degrees. I had a battery blanket, pan heater, and block heat. No other way and you better keep it plugged in or running all the time.
    It was a 283 with 4 spd. Anything colder and we had those days, it was done.

guthriesmith and Flat Six Fix like this.
  16. gene-koning

gene-koning

Generally, we don't get below -10 to -15 very often, but I've been driving early to mid 60s cars and trucks in -35 to -40 before, back when those were daily drivers.
    I'm retired now, I don't have to go out the door when it gets that cold, and if I would, I sure will not be driving the coupe. My avatar was taken on out way to the summit at the Rocky Mountain National Park 2 days after they opened the road up. It was 32 degrees (that would be above 0) at the top, that was plenty cold enough for me, and yes, it does have heat and defroster, but they are not very efficient. Gene

Flat Six Fix and 61SuperMonza like this.
  17. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

It's currently 26 below fo_O

18. VF-1

VF-1

I left east Missouri in my ‘40 Ford Coupe for the Lone Star Round Up (April 4th 2010) in Austin, TX. No heater, and snowing to beat the band! Yes we get snow (sometimes) in April. Life got better on the south side of the Red River! One of my best damn road trips, ever!

Lone Star Mopar and Flat Six Fix like this.
  19. VF-1

VF-1

We also have an Annual cruise in, at Ethel’s Roadhouse every New Year’s Day. This can get a little dicey in east Missouri, but always a great turn out!

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  20. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

After my buddy EJ Kowalski finished building this for me in late November 2000, I couldn't wait till spring to drive it home. His shop is in Reading, Pa and I lived in Staten Island, N.Y. I had my buddy follow me home and the trip took about 2 1/2 hours. I had on P1010033.JPG several layers and a old pair of vintage motorcycle gloves and a watch cap. By the time I drove over the bridge to Staten Island, my legs were so numb, I could hardly move my feet. I have never been so cold in my whole life and could hardly get out of the seat. When I finally made it home, my wife and my buddy just kept looking at me and turning their heads from side to side. I will never ever do a trip like that again. PS this photo was take where I now live during another winter when I needed a "short" ride to hold me over till spring.

21. A couple of years ago, my youngest son and I went to Bruce Larson's gathering in my avatar roadster. It was 27 degrees when we left Newville, Pennsylvania, and about 32 degrees on the way home.

22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I see you support a Winnipeg company...you're a Prince!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  23. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well we have the worlds coldest capital city, even colder than Moscow (not Idaho).

R A Wrench likes this.
  24. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not really a hot rod but when I was stationed at Fort Ord for a short time I drove my OT MGTD home on a 3 day pass in early November. No heater, no side curtains, or trans cover and a top with more holes than fabric. Anyway didn't realize how cold it was (at least to a SoCal boy) until I came over a sight rise on the freeway just outside of Redlands and for as far as I could see smudge pots were lit to keep the orange groves warm. After I transferred to my permanent duty station north of Reno I had a beater '63 Chevy 4x4 carryall. The heater could barely keep up in normal winter weather but during a week long minus 20 degree cold spell it was worthless. Ended up taping clear plastic behind the seat to cut down the area to be heated but it didn't help much. Only good thing is that it always started no matter how cold it was.

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  25. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Took this picture at -5 F just before going for a drive. The car has a good heater and would stay warm, especially in the sun, so no big deal there. The nice thing is salt doesn't melt ice at those temps, so it is a good time to get the old car out as everything is frozen and dry. Less than 2 hours south of Winnipeg, so I definitely understand those temps.

I drove a '67 IH Scout 800 to school back in the days. 45 miles each way in East Central Minnesnowta. That was a cold ride, good heater that would blow a bunch of warm air, but no insulation, and a very drafty top. I often drove in a pair of Carhart insulated overalls. On the plus side, it started every time, even in -30 to -40 temps, but the 4 speed gear lube would thicken up so bad, you couldn't shift for a couple of miles. Always had to park it in 1st gear and facing out the drive the night before.

[​IMG]

R A Wrench, whoodooman and Tim like this.
  26. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Better a Prince, than a Frog I suppose....lol
    Well I actually don't live in Winnipeg, nearby but not in it.
    On the used compressor, a PA brand. As you and I both know Princess Auto being the HF of Canada.
    I purchased it from him as he had to downsize and move because of the covid crisis, job loss and cash crunched.

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

been there! The first time I couldn’t get it out of first I was really confused lol

Stogy and Flat Six Fix like this.
  28. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

The magnetic oil pan heater would be ideal for a cast iron trans too.
    I even had a plug in dipstick heater, didnt work that great.

Stogy likes this.
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’ve had more than one cold car parked on the curb that I considered throwing some hot fireplace coals under lol

Stogy and Flat Six Fix like this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

35°F...burrrrr...glad the Ole Hotrod's a Coupe...late October Rust Belt Ontariario...:eek: