Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Titling a modified 1929 Ford Roadster in PA

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by zooming46, Nov 13, 2020.

1. zooming46

zooming46

I recently purchased a 1929 Ford Roadster with a clean Ohio Title. The roadster is modified (no fenders) with an Ohio Title that identifies it as a 1929 Ford Model A. Prior to purchasing this 29 I owned a modified (no fenders) 1946 Ford Pickup with an out of state Title. When I went to title the 46 I was told I could only title it as a Street Rod, I want to avoid titling the 29 as a Street Rod. Has anyone titled a modified 1929 roadster or similar vehicle in PA as an antique?

Thank you for your help.

2. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

just went thru a similar thing. took my signed Ohio title, (28RPU), said I wanted it titled as Antique. friend pulled forms, said I also have to get antique plate at same time. must have proof of insurance on said vehicle. i had the stamped VIN plate with me too so it could be verified. no one asked about fenders or wanted pictures. i ended up just getting title transferred as it will not be on the road anytime soon

3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

$200 fine for registering a streetrod as an antique here in Maine…
    they fined a local for selling a rod to a guy in Minnesota as an antique...
    they threatened him with another fine as he had a glass roadster in the shop with antique plates...
    he removed the plates and they let him off on that one...

4. dwollam

dwollam

I feel so sorry for you guys in the NE. Way too many people and way too many rules!

Dave

5. zooming46

zooming46

Update: My 29 Roadster is officially Titled in PA as Antique with a Vintage 29 PA plate. I would like to thank Mr. Chevrolet for his assistance. 20210113_203021.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet looking butt! Now give us a shot of the rest of the car!

7. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I like it too!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. zooming46

zooming46

Here you go. 20201228_123211.jpg 20201228_123334.jpg

9. 5window

5window

10. 5window

5window

Oh, and you also can't legally run a vehicle with antique plates after dark. And, while you can legally run without a hood, you can get a lovely ticket for not having a fan shroud. Dare I mention open exhausts are illegal as well:
    Mufflers

• Mufflers are required on all vehicles and must prevent unusual or excessive noise.

• Headers and side exhausts are permitted if the remainder of the exhaust system limits the noise emitted by the engine and they do not increase the sound beyond the maximum decibel levels described below.

• Muffler cutouts and bypasses are not permitted.

• Motor vehicles traveling at 35 MPH or less must not exceed 88 decibels.

• Motor vehicles traveling over 35 MPH must not exceed 92 decibels.
    Tip: Always check with local county laws in Pennsylvania to make sure you are following any municipal noise ordinances that may be more stringent than state-level laws.
    You're practically daring the cops to stop you . Welcome to Pennsylvania. Nice car.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  11. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now thats what we want to see! Nice ride!

12. Koz

Koz

Most of what is discussed above is absolutely correct. You can be cited for running antique plates on anything except a totally stock vehicle in Pa. In my experience, most Pa. law enforcement is pretty cool and let you go if your not acting like an idiot on the street. However, just let the wrong one have a bad day and you will be dead meat. They can and will nail you to the cross including impounding the vehicle. Pa. is actually not the worst state for vehicle regulations and by no means the best either.

Now that the car is registered in your name getting the proper SR title is easy but you will have to run Pa. SR tags, (no year of manufacture). It all boils down to how much risk you are willing to take. I paid an enormous fine for putting a "Moon Eyes" sticker over the stupid T bucket on my SR plates. They called it defacing and had my roadster towed. Big pain in the ass and expensive. I drove it about two years this way before I got pulled over for it. The trooper would not let me peel it off at the scene. I was very respectful and polite. He just admitted he didn't like hot rods. This is very rare in Pa.

Take your chances. Getting caught is going to be expensive though.

lothiandon1940 and 5window like this.
  13. 5window

5window

Deer Lake is a really nice place. Any chance you are the Mayor?

Koz and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. the consequences for titling the roadster as an antique seem substantial, why didn't you want to title the roadster as a street rod?
    Curt R

15. Seems like asking for trouble. Most of my experiences with law enforcement officers in Pa. have been ok, but as has been said, getting the wrong cop, on a bad day, could cost you dearly. Nice car to be taking a big chance with dancing with the devil over a registration.

16. Koz

Koz

I am indeed Mayor. If you get into town stop by the shop or Borough Hall. I'm usually at one or the other. My number is on the Borough page and my Hamb-O -Dex page here. Being the Mayor means I need to keep my nose clean and contrary to common belief it doesn't do me a bit of good as far as enforcement is concerned. I can comment on this thread as I do have access to Pa. code and can ask law enforcement, ( on and off the record), about just about anything. Sgt. Lynagh and I have discussed this very matter on more than one occasion.

Also contrary to common belief, most all officers and especially Pa. State Troopers are very well versed in Pa. vehicle code. Don't even try to bullshit them.

17. Here where I live the rules for plates are less strict BUT I felt I needed to make a comment on what you said about mufflers. You CAN get a ticket here for no mufflers on your street rod but it seems to be a requirement to remove the mufflers on your Harley/ or something that resembles a Harley. If you go to our local metal recycler there was literally a 4 foot high 6 feet around pile of new Harley mufflers. I don't mind laws if they are applied equally but it really pisses me off when I have to drive next to an un-muffled bike for miles and then I get bitched at for my glass packs!

bchctybob likes this.
  18. bchctybob

bchctybob

They can resister my car as an Oscar Meyer Weinermobile for all I care, just as long as it's in my name and all the applicable numbers jive to the man's satisfaction. Call it an antique, a street rod or a special construction just make it mine and make it legal to drive on our hallowed streets.

Koz likes this.
  19. Minnesota is supposedly "getting better" with titling issues. But, twenty years ago when it was time to title a 1929 ford body, that had been in a field since the early sixties, they did not want to have anything to do with me. When they said i would have to get "street rod" plates, wit the title, I took them & ran

bchctybob and Koz like this.
  20. Wrench97

Wrench97

There is a local Pa cop out of Westtown/East Goshen that likes to hang out on the100' of East Goshen on Rt 3 on Saturday mornings when even there is car show up the road in West Chester and just pick them off and one at a time.

lothiandon1940, 5window and bchctybob like this.
  21. zooming46

zooming46

I wasn't trying to cheat the system, I just wanted to install an original 1929 vintage license plate and the only way I could do that was to register it as an Antique. In addition to this I had an Ohio Title that identified it as a 1929 Ford Roadster so why wouldn't I do them same here in PA.

High test 63 likes this.
  22. Koz

Koz

Pa. had an extremely restrictive vehicle code until the Rendell administration some years back. As the story goes, Ed, the Governor at the time, wanted to remove the fenders on his '34 which was not allowed. For some strange reason, the Commonwealth quietly adopted the SEMA rod regulations for modified vehicles and everybody has been happy ever since.

Pa. did not adopt the YOM plate regs. as they are not part of the SEMA guidelines. There has been some talk of doing this and I have discussed it with our representatives in Harrisburg. However, until there is enough support to warrant the expense to provide the structure to clear and register palates, ( quoted in the 10 to 12 million dollar range), it ain't happnin' ! My advice would be for us all to contact our state Representatives in the House and our state Senators asking for the legislation to be reintroduced.

Things like this can move slowly and right now this would not be a priority in the House. Back when the SEMA regs were adopted nobody gave a shit about YOM plates. Everything was billit and Easter eggs. The modified vehicle regs are largely unchanged since. Every once in a while some well meaning politician tries to tighten them back up but it usually goes nowhere, just not a priority.

Hope this helps to make this a bit more understandable.

23. 5window

5window

License plate topper 2 front.JPG Since PA only requires a rear plate, I run a Street Rod plate on the rear and a YOM plate on the front. No issues yet. I do the same with my OT '65 Mustang.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  24. woodscaper

woodscaper

Koz, I thought this changed in 2012 with act 25 according to the pa DMV website. It says to use form MV-11V to register plates from 1906 to 1976 for antique or classic car registrations only, not for regular or street rods. Or is that what you meant, just modified cars? Around here nobody seems to care, modified or stock.

Sent from my SM-J727V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

High test 63 likes this.
  25. Koz

Koz

The code you are referring to covers YOM plates for antiques and classics. Modified vehicles are not included in this statute. According to my discussions with PennDot, they do not allow YOM on any SR titled vehicles. The SR title allows you to legally run in Pa. without fenders, hood, bumpers etc. on US manufactured vehicles 1948 or older or vehicles specially constructed to closely resemble the same, (rods with 'glass bodies, reproduction frames etc.). There are no provisions in Pa. code for YOM on modified vehicles.

You can only run YOM plates on totally stock vehicles and then the regulations and restrictions of antique and classic registration apply. Technically you can only drive such vehicles to parades, shows and the like and not for a run to the local hamburger joint to meet your buddies. Obviously, this is thinly enforced at best. I spoke with my favorite Desk Sgt., who is a '69 Camaro guy, but he knows his regs, and this is his take. The Act you reference only applies to tags, not titling. SR titled cars in Pa. have no driving restrictions I am aware of except as may be imposed by your insurer.

I'm most certainly no lawyer, however I hope I'm passing along the info I've come across to maybe keep some of us out of trouble, including me. Zooming46's roadster is really cool and I'm sure a ton of fun on the open road. It's even more fun when the local law gives you a thumbs up instead of a load of shit. I hope this didn't stray too far from the OP's intent. Just my 2 cents.

woodscaper and 5window like this.
  26. woodscaper

woodscaper

That's what I figured, I think it's best to get as much clarification as we can.

Koz likes this.