Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rodders journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ROBERT JAM, Oct 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The nature of social media? Bullshit.

The nature of social media doesn’t have much to do with good business practice obviously in this instance.

With modern technology one would expect good open and clear communication with your customers instead of the silence, excuse laden explanations (only provided as a bandage when the bleeding gets too much to bear).

Poor business practice, running too lean and financial pressure or problems is more likely to be the truth.

I feel like we are being lied to and that this is the beginning of the end.

I don’t really want that to be true however the longer this goes on the less confidence I have to believe otherwise.

The $ I would be out for the lifetime subscription (at the premium I paid for it and shipping being in Canada) wouldn’t break me however I would miss sitting down to hold the latest issue and experience what a good magazine is like.

A lot of us grew up with the many car magazines that we would buy from the newsstand and eagerly waited for the next issue.

Now they’re all gone and all we have are these electronic devices that don’t have the same feel.

So here we sit still listening to the crickets and watching for the mailman.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    acme30, willysguy, X38 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Like it or not social media is here forever. It can be a powerful tool for a business if it is used correctly. This entire discussion is a perfect example of how it could be used to help in customer service. In today's business world you must have a dedicated social media manager or at least someone who monitors it daily. As we all like printed material like magazines and books they will become a collector's item and not intended to be thrown away or discarded. Major corporations who were responsible for the great magazine crash of 2019 only raided the magazines for customer information and able to file a loss for tax reasons to save the parent company.

I was in the auto business for 30+ years and 4 years ago began to see the change of my career going away entirely. I was not going to make it to retirement with my current career and had to retrain to keep up with the times. Went back to school and got my master's degree in Digital Audience Strategy so I could work in the digital world. The end goal is to use my prior career knowledge and my new degree and work for an auto-related company for exactly these reasons this thread was started.

Social media, the internet, etc are great resources and can be very entertaining if you used them in the right way. Some of the best builders we all love to follow have amazing social media presence and the companies who have embraced the social media world will survive and prosper. The companies that do not embrace this technology will be done in less than 5 years.

PoTaToTrUcK and 5window like this.
  3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn I have a headache. Maybe they’re just a really small company (looks like about 8 folks total?) busting their asses to put out a superior product, doing the best they can.

If some of y’all are this knotted up about it, you should probably just bail. Personally I think each issue could be satisfactorily read a year after publication (for the first time). Not any different from getting back issues.

seadog, 5window, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  4. phat rat

phat rat

BrerHair, how do you expect a lifetime subscriber to bail? The subscription is figured quarterly, so if they don't come out on a quarterly basis subscribers are taking a hit, it doesn't matter how great the mag is if the company doesn't uphold their end of the deal and get the mag out on time. You think they are doing the best they can. Why after all these years are they suddenly unable to meet their obligations? The handwriting was on the wall when they suddenly offered lifetime subscriptions as a one time deal then a short time later offered it again. When that happened I let my subscription lapse as I gone down that road in the past

Deucedreamer, Blue One, X38 and 2 others like this.
  5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m not knotted up about it and I’m not going to bail.

I bought the lifetime subscription with the hopes of easy worry free enjoyment of very enjoyable issues showing up when they were supposed to without having to look for them.

I also really like some of the shirts and other stuff that is in the Christmas catalog that showed up almost a month after Christmas but I’m not confident about getting my order if I did place it.

I guess I just have higher expectations for service than the TRJ staff are able or willing to deliver.
    I see that @J.Ukrop agrees with you and likes your comment.
    I can’t say I do.

acme30, PoTaToTrUcK and Fordors like this.
  6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s all I have to say about this. Being a fellow lifetime subscriber, I understand your frustration and respect y’all’s point of view, but for me, a month late TRJ is infinitely better than none at all.

7. I think it's only 6 – Steve, Geoff, Curt, Joey, Sarah and Jarel.
    I know these guys – they're good honest people and they're trying to make it right – please hang in there.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I managed to swing a lifetime subscription and just enjoy the magazine when it gets here and gets here is usually about a week before I see that someone else's came in the mail on here.
    Small staff, who turns out an extremely high quality product and is at the mercy of everyone outside of their direct control.
    What they don't have absolute control over are:
    The printer
    The post office.
    Those damned "shipping partners" of the post office who don't even seem to have a drum to march to half of the time.

My "holiday" catalog showed up this week and my wife went though it page by page. Sure would have been nice to have it show up the first week of December so she could order out of it but who knows what happened there. Workers at the print shop didn't show up to work? Print shop closed because of virus scare? bundles of catalogs shoved off in the corner of some USPS distribution center because there was too much other mail going though to get them on the next truck?

D-Russ, BrerHair, Lil32 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I've gotta say that all things considered, most everyone is fed up with... well, fill in your own blanks there... (Virus fallout, election hype/B.S., cabin fever, future un-certainty, etc.) and when something... anything comes up as an inconvenience these days it's automatically out of proportion.
    We're all a little more cranky than usual. We need to keep on dealing with "it" as best we can.

seadog, D-Russ and jim snow like this.
  10. Mr48Chev , my wife came in my home office yesterday, and also saw the catalog sitting there. She picked it up, and asked when HER catalog came in, meaning presents for me. Told her it just came this week, then filled her in on the delay, or non-delivery of international magazines and product. She's optimistic that my magazines will eventually get here, but, didn't order any merchandise.

Denns1989 likes this.
  11. Helge71

Helge71
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holiday catalog arrived on 23rd January here with a sticker form the Netherlands post and glued above it another "postage paid" sticker from a logistic company in Lithuania - far traveled catalog, it seems......no sign of issue 84 so far... :(

Speedtwin, acme30 and PoTaToTrUcK like this.
  12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Any Canadian members get their issue yet?

13. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

I haven't gotten mine yet. Canada Post is really slow right now. Not sure why (labour shortage due to Covid maybe). I ordered something on Ebay from Ontario and it took almost a month to get to Alberta.

14. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Ordered parts from Willys Replacement in Ca. and the arrived within two weeks. We as Canadian and Foreign subscribers have already paid extra up front for the additional shipping costs, there B.S. about secure shipping is just excuses, there's Fedex, Purolator, UPS and the plain old U.S.mail.

PoTaToTrUcK and K13 like this.
  15. Surely you jest.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

willysguy and Blue One like this.
  16. The Surfer's Journal arrives on time every time. I believe The Rodder's Journal is based off The Surfer's Journal....I think it said that in the first issue, anyway, maybe they can reach out and find out where they're are lacking.....

17. ....First time I ever heard that.

18. I think there are some terminology misinterpretations at play here. I have read that the Rodder Journal was influenced by The Surfers Journal which when comparing the two seems pretty obvious. So the first issue probably did mention the influential relationship between the two so in essence it was "based" of the Surfers Journal. Doesn't pertain to the business side of the two magazine and dealing with the issues at hand but not completely untrue.

X38 and Blue One like this.
  19. 52lomofo

52lomofo

ordered my front suspension Oct 30 not here yet one bullshit excuse after another

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looks like that may be the case based on the quality and format.
    As you mentioned they are unrelated separate entities not run by the same people and as such there would be little value in what was suggested.

Irish Mike likes this.
  21. Well they actually seem to get their customer their product so maybe not.:rolleyes:

Blue One likes this.
  22. I haven't received mine yet either (I think 81 was the last I got). I have received the Christmas catalog though. I've sent emails with no reply whatsoever. My patience is beginning to turn to frustration. I wonder if a credit card dispute will help?

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The Rodder’s Journal is the best hot rod magazine EVER published. Period. Point blank. There are no valid arguments against that statement. I strongly believe that...

No idea what’s up... But don’t forget the above.

I’m pals with just about everyone at TRJ. Steve is a really close friend and they are all salt of the earth people. I’d back them in a street fight any day of the week.

Anyway, my life has been exceptionally crazy the last six months. Covid, kid’s school, a crazy family decision we recently made, etc... as a result, I haven’t had time to check in with those folks. I need too... I don’t think I’ve talked to Steve since November or so...

The last year has made it really, really hard to be in small business for yourself. I hustle every day... and I’m sure Steve and the gang are doing the same.

I get it if some of you feel left out to dry, but I can tell you this - there is no way in hell any of the folks at TRJ would do it to you on purpose.

24. No one is disputing its a great magazine, but it is unfortunately accompanied by some of the worst customer service.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, I can’t speak to that. I have no experience with their CS.

My point was this - I understand some folks are frustrated. I’m sure it’s valid. But maybe going online and suggesting they are “bullshit”, etc... isn’t the best way to handle it? Given the times we live in and the times we’ve lived through the past year, it seems more appropriate to me to show some grace.

Of course, I’m biased... Not only are they all pals and people I respect a great deal, I also run a small business in the same industry. Shit has been rough man. Add to that the fact that TRJ was right in the middle of moving across the country when Covid started...

This just all feels like a perfect storm... And I’m pulling for TRJ to pull through.

Again, I haven’t talked to anyone at TRJ in some months (other than Joey obviously) and have no inside scoop at all... It just feels like a time we should be rallying behind them.

I would hope anyway, that you guys would rally behind me if I was going through a spell. The passion industry is a tough place to be in times like this.

I get where you guys are coming from though... Truly. I do.

26. I would trust you to actually communicate with us. To this day they haven't sent out a general email to international subscribers letting them know what is going on. That's not on covid, that's not moving that is not respecting your customers period. If they showed us some respect I would show it back. It's a two way street. All anyone is asking for is some simple communication. We shouldn't have to come on here once a month and bitch for them to tell us what is going on.

acme30 likes this.
  27. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

There's two camps in this thread: Americans and Everyone else in the world. Almost every post by an American is "I got mine late, but hey it's no big deal, it came, so it was a month late, I still got it, everyone needs to calm down, they're good guys, they don't have control etc". And everyone else in the world is saying "I haven't gotten it, where is it, be nice to know where it is, is it coming at all? I paid for my magazine, now I'm not getting #83 at all?, " and getting really frustrated and upset. And well, dammit, they have every right to feel that way!. I remember when the lifetime subscriptions came out. I really wanted one but held back cause it just felt weird to me. I did the math and after 5 years, I would be getting issues for free.....FREE! Why would a viable business put forth a plan like that? So I just wait and buy mine on the newsstand. I still contribute to their business, I just do it at the newsstand. And I have a few shirts and calenders too. My point is, it's easy for those who are getting the magazines, late or not, to be satisfied. Try being one of the ones who isn't getting their products. And it seems it's not just limited to magazines either, one guy on here is waiting for a shirt order!

28. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I completely agree with you on the lifetime subscriptions as I thought the same thing. With print publishing slowly going away, I wondered how they would survive in the long run if they’re giving it away free. It’s a great magazine hopefully it’ll be around for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Speedtwin and Irish Mike like this.
  29. Thanks for getting my point. I never stated they are run by the same people. Coonan’s editor notes in the first issue stated his mag is based off Pezman’s Surfers Journal....Doesn’t seem like nonsense to me....

X38 likes this.
  30. What was suggested is Rodders Journal reach out to Surfers Journal for some guidance in their mailing/customer service.....

X38 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.