Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Box Art

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Did anyone ever do this? My mom threw this one in the trash. When I came home from school. I dug it back out and kept it. The 50 Ford conv. is still in the box. I plan on building it. Ron...... [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Okie Pete, Deuces, Elcohaulic and 3 others like this.
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I still build one now and then, plus large scale model trains. The 1/32nd Highway Pioneer Deuces were first hot rod kits I got, and they made a big impression on me. But once the larger AMT 3n1 Deuces came out, 1/24 - 1/25th kits became my favorites. At some point I moved up to 1/12 stuff (mostly sports and formula cars) and eventually 1/8th stuff from Monogram and Lindberg, going back to hot rods and race cars.

3. rudestude

rudestude

My brother is drpping off some more models that he got for me...some funky but cool ones...
    He sent pics. 9652~2.jpeg 9653~2.jpeg 9655~2.jpeg 9647.jpeg 9660~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    enloe, Okie Pete, edcodesign and 5 others like this.
  5. I agree! So I flattened and hang. IMG_3842.JPG

enloe, Okie Pete, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  6. Funny how a Model Car can influence a build later in life. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    enloe, Okie Pete, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  7. Dennis D

Dennis D

Ron, where did you get the Texaco station? D

Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  8. When I was a kid I had a friend that got one for Christmas, I think the one he had it was made by Buddy L, his dad had a Texaco service station. HRP

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  9. Dennis D

Dennis D

10. It was a toy sold at Texaco stations in 1961. Yeah Buddy L made them for Texaco. My dad got me one for Christmas. Mine is in very played with condition. I can't remember where I found the one that's in the photo. I've been to way too many swap meets over the years. Ron...
    1920.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    enloe, i.rant, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  11. Dennis D

Dennis D

Would really like to have one. Looks like the station in the town I grew up (kinda) in. It was a three bay station I believe. One I worked at the first four years out of the service had the bay entrance on the side.

12. Dennis, It came in a flat box, and you had to assemble it. I had lost most of the small parts, and garage doors. So I was glad to find one MIB. I've never bought anything off E bay, or on line. But that should be an easier way to find it. Good Luck. Ron....

enloe likes this.
  13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing this is THE kit that really started it all (and the roadster version, too).

14. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

^Yes, in the AMT 32, 34, 36, and 40 Ford kits, all the engines mount the same way, so swapping was a breeze. They were easy for young guys to build, and accurate enough to satisfy the older builders.

15. Dennis D

Dennis D

Don't remember seeing them for sale at the station. Not sure what year the last Texaco was built in my home town either. A little back story: The one that looks like your model was the last one of three locations that were built over the years in the small town of Bismarck, Mo. First one was next to the railroad tracks across from the Chevy dealer. Second was south of the four way stop a few blocks and when the new (last) one was built the second was used for storage. I use to hire out to Bob Eggers and unload tractor trailer loads of oil (24 quarts to a case) at that location. It was a two story building like so many stations were back when it was built. A few years ago a couple bought the old station and turned it into a small store/restaurant. When they were cleaning out the upper storage area they came across some things that belonged to Bob and they contacted his son Steve to come and get them. Among the items were a bunch of the old original glass globes for the pumps. Needless to say they were all gone before I got wind of them. No telling what other treasures were up there. Oh well, D

16. Dennis here's the original add. They were $3.50[​IMG]

enloe, Okie Pete, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  17. Osoty

Osoty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At an antique store, a booth had a picture of this label and I bought it. Few years later I stumbled across the actual kit 20210209_145757.jpg

enloe, Okie Pete, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

The Texaco toy reminds me of the fellow, I think it's the Walker Radiators owner, that purchased an entire Texaco station stored in a trailer. Apparently th station was built and then the freeway was built a few miles off th sold road so Texaco closed down the station and it was disassembled and stored in the trailer. He hears about it, finds it, and has it built again on his acreage. Super cool.

I was searching and found a book entitled Gas Stations subtitled How to Build a Gas Station diorama. I'll think I buy a copy and then build one. Won't need a permit from the city for it! I have a lot of the 1/25 scale tools. I always wanted to built a period showroom for all the Packard, Cadillacs, etc. kits I have.

enloe and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  19. goldmountain

goldmountain

20. This was also out in another form - I'll dig mine out - my should be from about 1968/69 - we can compare prices.

Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  21. Dennis D

Dennis D

Where did you find the book? D

22. Dennis D

Dennis D

Don't know how I missed out on these. Had one of the Sears brand one, along with Fort Apache, and several other sets of that sort. Also had a lot of iron on patches on the knees of my jeans from crawling around on the floor. Now I wonder why I didn't put it on a table to play with.....D PS, what scale is this?

23. rudestude

rudestude

Ron ...once again you come to the party packing....
    Cool stuff...you must of been very good with your toys growing up ...it shows....hell you haven't grown up yet , still playing with your toys and there still looking good.
    Well my Road Agent isn't doing as well...actually I got it this way, seems to be all there.?...maybe some day I will restore it.
    A little history on Ed "Big Daddy" Roth...
    He worked with Revell and they paid him 1 cent per kit sold and in his first year ,1963 , he made $32k in royalties piad. 20210210_001357(0)~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

I bought this empty box for $2, the other day. Not sure why. I just can’t stand to see stuff thrown away.
    098D5C27-6F6D-42AB-9841-5993C7876B8B.jpeg

25. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Here is a couple from my collection:
    25364.jpeg 25365.jpeg 25367.jpeg

Speed Gems, enloe, Okie Pete and 3 others like this.