Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Not all Hambers are nice people.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratfink56, Feb 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratfink56

ratfink56

I don't know what just happened to me. Hamber has car for sale. 1934 Dodge. We talk, agree on price and payment method. I spend a bunch of time looking for transport from PA to AR. Find a guy living 50 miles from the car. Recommended by Bob as Bob is busy. We agree to a deal. Wants to load the car this weekend and head out Monday as he has a car to pick up in Joplin and haul back east. He had been in contact with the seller explaining his situation. Then out of nowhere I get a text saying the car is no longer for sale. His wife wants him to keep it. This comes after I was told he was selling the car to make room for another car he bought. Not sure what the motivation was to string me along until the last minute. I do know I am not very happy at this moment.

2. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say he got a better offer.

3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I guess I'm most surprised that you view your experience as some sort of Revelation . There's very little positive character left in this dollar driven greedy society .

4. Yep, dirt bag.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

5. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I realize this sounds trite, but probably best to consider things happen for a reason and there are other deals to be had out there.

Best wishes.

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

had you paid a deposit on it?

5window, 49ratfink, fauj and 7 others like this.
  7. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny thing is that the car is still listed as for sale in the HAMB classifieds.

Beanscoot, Stogy and 31hotrodguy like this.
  8. Sounds like he should've asked permission before he decided to sell his, or maybe her, car. I understand your feelings, plus i kinda understand his. If she started raising hell with him, the easiest way to dissolve the situation is to call off the deal. After all, he has to live with her lmao. But then again, he probably told his buddy that he sold the car, and the buddy said "hell I wanted that car!", and you got shafted.

9. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Good question.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Moriarity like this.
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I never consider a deal done until there is money on it

11. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

When this happens to me I tell myself its not suppose to happen and that powers bigger then me are running this. Who knows next week you might run into the deal of your life and if this one had happened you would of had to pass.. Don't let this stuff bother you. I'm 63 and have been running my own business in one form or another since I was 16.. Never burn bridges. Politely let the guy off the hook and go on your merry way with a little more dignity and self respect... You don't know what's up with this guy, he might be in the middle of some serous drama..

JJGA, hudsonmand, Xtrom and 21 others like this.
  12. osage orange, Xtrom, quick85 and 19 others like this.
  13. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

A mans word used to mean a whole lot.

Now it seems us who still value word, have to be more hard nosed to not get bent over all the time.

Best advice, karma is a bitch and she serves that shit cold.

I always put money down even if they don't want any... A mere hundred bucks keeps people honest for some reason, and hassle of returning it makes them think twice about backing out of selling.

clem, 40two, warhorseracing and 9 others like this.
  14. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I had something similar a year ago with an off topic car. Absolutely no character from the seller. I was pissed.

Something better did come along and I could not be happier with what I have now.

These days, this is the new normal it seems. Not like the good ol days.

You are not alone!!!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Third time listed, twice in 2019 and recently 2021:confused:
    PS. Things happen for a reason, it could be a blessing in disguise or a legitimate explanation?

Smiffy, JJGA, Xtrom and 5 others like this.
  16. You can't shine shit!
    People are pricks in every section of society.
    Sorry for your misfortune, had it happen to me a couple of times.
    Since his ad is still on here, people can out him if they so choose and make a private judgement. Yes, some folks think this is normal behavior. Their WORD is shit.
    He could have refunded your deposit also, so that's moot unless you wanted to go all the way to PA to press the issue.
    Walk away and count your blessings.
    You didn't miss much, and something else will come along.

17. ratfink56

ratfink56

18. ratfink56

ratfink56

Thanks to all for the kind responses. My word is my honor. Too old school for my own good.

19. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, the ad is still up...everyone should PM him and tell what a fine upstanding individual we think he is:(

20. No money changing hands is important, but so is one's word.
    Sounds like you can tell you're being bullshitted.

21. That's a good thing.

I'm from the old school where my word is my bond, sadly in this day & time there are some that don't subscribe to that thought process.

Things like this happen, I know it's frustrating but for what ever reason he might have done you a favor, there will be something better to come along and you will be much happier with the outcome. HRP

22. trollst

trollst

Sorry man, I'm in the " he got a better offer" camp. My biggest gripe these days is the lack of decency these days, people who feel no need to live up to an agreement, pay off a bet, treat their neighbour with respect, these are not good times. When was the last time you shook on something? A really good firm "we got a deal" handshake? That is the signature of my life, my credo, my reputation, your hand should hurt after it leaves mine, we got a deal, for better or worse. Good luck.....

Saxman, chopped, quick85 and 12 others like this.
  23. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

learned a long time ago, 20% of people cause 80% of problems. Seems to hold true across the board, no matter the race, religion or other demographic division. There are good and bad in every group, buyer beware.

clem, Baumi, stillrunners and 6 others like this.
  24. That happened to us several years ago. We got a lead from my friends buddy on 1932 ford 3-window coupe, called the seller, agreed to the price, hooked up the trailer, called him before we left to get it, about45 minutes away. when we got there he wasn't home. his wife said that he had to go out suddenly. We were pissed. we found out later that he got a better offer from Fred Page in New Hampshire. Old timers in new England will remember Fred Page and his over priced cars. We lost what my buddy considered to be his friend because of this shitty deal. I have never forgiven either of the 2 guys involved in this situation

25. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

^The 80/20 rule applies. In business, 20% of your customers bring in 80% of the money. Another 20% of waste 80% of your time.

40two, 5window, mountainman2 and 7 others like this.
  26. prpmmp

prpmmp

Tie him to your car and drag Him!!! Pete

27. Same school..haven't graduated from it either.
    Sure is a daily test in todays world though.
    Good luck in your pursuit.

28. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This happened to me a year back. Guy set a price , and after back and forth I accepted his price. On the morning I was to drive to go get it he contacts me and he backed out. Said that his wife reminded him that he had $15k more in the car than the price he set. Then it pops up again for sale for $1200 more :-D
    A rat is one thing but a cut rate rat?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

That handshake his hard to do while practicing "social distancing!"

chryslerfan55 and trollst like this.
  30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Man , ain't it the truth !!

chryslerfan55, 40two and getow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.