Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1956 Ford Victoria (New to me)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eric16, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Eric16

Eric16

Hello there H.A.M.B. members!

Here is my recently purchased 1956 Victoria. I'm a younger guy, and this is my first purchase into the 50's era for cars.
    It's 100% stock with:
    292 Y-block
    3 speed with overdrive
    Power steering
    Manual drum brakes

This thing loves to cruise, but it could use a couple of upgrades.
    At the top of the list would be power brakes, radial tires, replace the exhaust manifolds, and a new exhaust system.

Just curious for you Ford guys out there:
    Any recommendations for a power brake conversion?
    Do bias-ply look radials still drive well?
    Any suggestions for replacement manifolds, headers, or mufflers that sound good on a Y-block?
    Anyone run A/C in these?

I appreciate any direction you could point me in. Until then, here are a couple of shots of the car!

20210123_154706.jpg 20210207_164526.jpg 20210207_164533.jpg 20210207_164616.jpg 20210124_173615.jpg

2. BJR

BJR

40 years ago I saw a 56 Ford 4dr with factory air.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

Beautiful car! Diamondback Tires makes an Auburn Radial that looks like a traditional bias ply that rides really well.

Join the 1952-1959 Ford social group.If anyone knows what power brakes and exhaust would work it's that crew. They even have a sticky that contains a lot of info on upgrades.

4. Oldb

Oldb

That one is a beauty.
    B

5. ahshoe

ahshoe

IM002573 (Small).JPG
    Had this peacock blue and snowshoe white 1956 Victoria and in all my years it is the only car I regret selling. You have a very nice ride there, congrats

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  6. Beautiful! And I am not a Ford guy. For the AC, may I suggest an under the dash unit such as the Mark IV. Much quicker and way less invasive and completely removable. Mine is an original unit from the 50s and keeps my black Buick 4 door cool here in the Texas summer. Newer ones will be more efficient and quieter.

Ben

7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Seldom seen paint combo, nice ride.

8. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice car, great start. I'll second the Zax comment about the social group and it's information.
    You might add your location to your signature, sometimes there's someone close.
    I have the Coker bias look radials on my 32. I had no out of round or balance problems and they drive great.
    Most of what you need to know about y blocks, casting numbers, etc.

http://www.ford-y-block.com/

There's a write up about a/c that recent here. Read to the end about the radio problem if you go with a modern unit. It's a beautiful install.
    http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic153710-1.aspx

Hopefully jimmysix will see this, he's got a lot of information on his 56 Vic.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Bbdakota

Bbdakota

Beautiful car! I second the diamondback Auburn's. Under dash ac (I used vintage air) is not to difficult to add to about any car. Good luck with it!

firstinsteele and loudbang like this.
  10. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

Mine was painted '59 Ford off white. With a Y-block glass packs are absolutely a must. I used Walker tapered glass packs. The really sound good when you let off the gas and let it slow down on its own. Look at this link and see what you think. 1957 Ranchero with Glass Packs - YouTube Maybe this won't work.

loudbang likes this.
  11. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I have a set of dual exhaust manifolds that eliminate the front crossover pipe, scrounged them up for a project that got traded off. Seems like they are from a 57, would they fit?

Atwater Mike and loudbang like this.
  12. chargin03

chargin03

Very nice!

loudbang likes this.
  13. I saw one in the seventies had clear duct work in back window

loudbang likes this.
  14. scotts52

scotts52

Beautiful! Great colors

loudbang likes this.
  15. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

That is a real Gem....love it..
    Good for you..

loudbang likes this.
  16. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome! I’d drive it!

loudbang likes this.
  17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Great model, great year. Really sweet.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Very nice car! I have no information on aftermarket power brakes since mine are factory. But, I am running some of the bias look radials which are American Classics and I have been happy with them. My car had Coker radial wide whites before and these ride just as good as the Coker radials. If your bias tires aren’t old, I would just run them. They look good on it.

Also curious why you want to replace the exhaust manifolds? I need to do the same, but it is because they are both broken right behind the first bolt. I’m just replacing mine with another set of the same.

loudbang and arkiehotrods like this.
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

You did good getting this beautiful ride - the upgrades will be worth the time and cost

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  20. southcross2631

southcross2631

I did some work for a guy with the Coker bias looking radials and he had to run a higher tire pressure to keep the car from wallowing all over the road. After that he said they were fine.
    I had a 57 Fairlane with 27 inch glass packs and 2 1/4 inch pipes that sounded amazing.
    I installed vintage air with an under dash unit to keep the nostalgic look. It was real good after I added an electric fan to keep the airflow up when stopped at red lights. Added a GM alternator at the same time.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Pretty sure those sound like the ones that are factory on my 56 that also has no crossover. Looks like the OP has the same as well from what I can see in the pic of the engine.

22. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy shit! An A roadster AND a 56 Vicky! Does it get any better?

23. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Beautiful car! Congratulations!

loudbang likes this.
  24. Obviously being that you are a "younger guy" you obviously have no idea as to how to drive a standard shift vehicle especially a three on the tree.:( So you may as well just give me the car now and quit being chauffeured around by your Dad.;) Really, nice car and great that you scored it.:D Have fun and enjoy the looks that you will get.:cool:

03GMCSonoma and loudbang like this.
  25. jaracer

jaracer

I've been driving a 57 T-Bird for the last 24 years. The biggest improvement probably came with radial tires. I put on gas shocks and they may have helped, but not as much as the radials. The next biggest improvement with handling came from a new front sway bar and the addition of a rear sway bar. I think the front bar is about 1 in diameter. The sway bars really made it corner much flatter.

I still have the factory brakes, but they are power. I've got the stock exhaust without the resonator and it sounds very good. However, a set of Porters would sound real good on a Y block.

I had a 54 Mercury with a 3 speed OD, loved it. Also, Ford did offer dealer installed AC in 56.

stillrunners likes this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Power brakes we're an option in '56 but they were not disc. I'm pretty sure AC had the clear ductwork for the rear of the cabin like the Mercs. The white in '56 was Wimbledon White I believe.

loudbang likes this.
  28. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Great looking car, enjoy it!!

loudbang likes this.
  29. Nice car and like what JimmieSix did with his brakes

Atwater Mike and loudbang like this.
  30. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

I had a 56 that had an ARA dealer installed under dash AC that would freeze you out in Texas summers. Keep your exhaust manifolds and just install whatever sound mufflers you like. I envy you having that beautiful car!

loudbang likes this.