Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55-56 Ford I6 to Y-Block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redzula, Feb 6, 2021.

1. redzula

redzula

Picking up a '55 Customline with a 6 cyl in a couple days. Naturally I've been "building" the car in my head since making the decision to get it. I'd like to gather parts to swap in a Y-Block at some point. I would want to gather everything needed before ever pulling anything apart and wondered what I need.

I can figure out the replaceable parts for the engine fairly easily but would like to know if there are any modifications to the frame that will need to be done while there is no engine in the way.

Screenshot_20210203-205331.jpeg

-Adam

Sent from my rotary phone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

1955 Ford came with Y Block V8 so the only thing you should need may be Y Block motor mounts.

3. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

While the engine is out, carefully inspect your tubing cross member for rust out damage. They were prone to fill with mud and eventually rust through.

4. IIRC you'll need a V8 radiator as the 6 outlets aren't in the right place or size.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’d keep watching ads and Craigslist anywhere near you where someone is swapping out a Y for a later model engine. Remember up to 64 Pickups used them. Birds and pickups had a different pan and oil pick up but that’s about it. Yblocksforeve has good info as does the Crown Victoria owners (you don’t need to have that model) which has a monthly magazine. There is also a Y-Block engine magazine out of Ottawa Illinois with a lot of info. It’s bi-monthly.
    There are quite a few Facebook pages too with guys selling parts and completes.
    Ted Eaton in Lorena, Tx. (Eatonbalancing) knows more than any of us will ever know and near you. Good luck.

6. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

Adam,

I am currently doing the same thing. My 55' has the 223/ford-o-matic, so I have to change radiator, get bellhousing/flexplate to bolt 312 to ford-o-matic, and motor mounts.
    I believe I can use my same starter.
    I made my own brackets for a GM alt conversion

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app