Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody else a lone wolf out there??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikec4193, Feb 4, 2021.

1. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Death Row Dave : Does not play well with others ! ☠️

loudbang likes this.
  2. 1952henry

1952henry

I dont dislike people, i chitchat with people at shift change, enjoy holiday gatherings, and the occasional visit to the tavern; I also like my alone time. At work, draglines have their own radio channel, which is nice. I dont care to listen to endless radio chatter about NFL games, fishing, or camping trips. In my shop, I like to hear the radio and focus on my projects. Being a lone wolf and NOT disliking people can co-exist in one's own mind.

Plus, having been a Van Halen fan since their first album (I was 10) I like to crank the radio any time a VH song is played. With the passing of Eddie Van Halen, there will be no more new magic created on a guitar, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  3. Hang in there !
    Remember, there’s always sheep.

210superair likes this.
  4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

5. loudbang

loudbang

LOL I'm used to hanging alone Troopers ride alone here so There was just me, myself and I driving around for 9-10 hours. Sure we used to argue quietly among ourselves but never came to blows. :rolleyes:

6. Well if it wasn't for that No Club Lone Wolf I got from the late Buddy George (RIP) in 1977
    I wouldn't have made the 175.000 plaques I've made since then. Funny how everything has a beginning somewhere....

Packrat, The37Kid, Joe Blow and 6 others like this.
  7. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have never related to the car club type of guy that only builds one high-end nice car and only takes it to car shows while he sits around with his buddies in folding chairs with dusters in hand.
    I love the build and the shop time. I love driving it as hard as a teenager would and taking it to the drag strip on occasion. I don't make time for car clubs or shows but I ain't knocking it if that's your thing.

8. hepme

hepme

I have been my entire life, until i met a guy many years ago who shared my interests and also was a vet. We did it all, car shows, drags, trips, whatever. On memorial day we drove our cars to Denny's and had a 2-3 hr. breakfast, every year. He passed over a year ago and on the last memorial day i drove my car to Denny's, but couldn't go in. Yeah, i'm back to a "lone wolf", but i'd give the car and a lot more to have him back.

9. Bbdakota

Bbdakota

Friends like this are hard to come by. Consider your blessings for the time and experience of having such a great friend. I've never had such a friend.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For years I thought I was a lone wolf. In my old age I've learned people just don't like meo_O

11. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

59BuickWagon : So sorry to hear Buddy George passed on. I may be a bit of a loner , but Buddy was a friend of mine for many years. I would assume you are a friend of Roy Idman as well? If so, do you know if he’s ok? As has been said...” who the hell, is Buddy George?”, RIP my friend!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  12. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Yes. No get off my lawn you kids

Flathead Dave and loudbang like this.
  13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not very out going nor really a joiner. I do however meet up with a bunch of really knowledgeable car guys on Saturday morning for coffee and donuts. Luckily I'm able to get their ideas/assistance when I need it even though I'm really on the fringe. And I haven't been there in a while due to Covid and my wife's recent lung surgery but should be able to get back into things in early March.

loudbang likes this.
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain

This quarantine can't last forever, can it?

loudbang likes this.
  15. trollst

trollst

Yes, my friend Tom Carlson was that guy, I'll miss him a long time.

loudbang likes this.
  16. We seem to have three things in common...

old cars
    Eddie Van Halen - saw VH at the Bismarck Civic Center in '77? '78? who inspired me to pursue the electric guitar hard (my other passtime)
    I'm originally from Mandan, ND

Gotta56forme/Scott

loudbang likes this.
  17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the other hand, I sometimes I think it'd be really cool if the HAMB could have a common shop where any of us could pop in anytime.
    It would have to be a BIG shop.
    About 20 hoists.
    Every tool you can think of.
    Walk-in beer cooler.
    Teleportation machine.

18. LOL quarantine? I have actually been quarantined twice once for scarlet fever and once for typhoid. This is not a quarantine. trust me. :rolleyes: :D

I work alone for a lot of reasons. Mostly because because I live about 40 miles past Pig Snarf. That said my door is always open if you want to travel to the end of nowhere then go a little farther. :D :D :D

19. Retrorod

Retrorod

I’m not anti social but just don’t do much socializing. Clubs and groups are ok but I don’t seem to have the patience for it. It’s not for me. We always have too many projects going on and before my retirement I always had schedules, events and lots of socializing for work. Done with that now.

loudbang likes this.
  20. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Well my better half tells me there is a reason I have been divorced twice. Might be the reason I don't play well with others.

loudbang, hotrodjack33 and williebill like this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

At one time I was very active in the Car Club deal, and I'm thankful others are and keep things rolling, but I got burned out, and enjoy the Loner status now. Bob

22. 1952henry

1952henry

loudbang and gotta56forme like this.
  23. r2c1

r2c1

Since moving to the mountains I am really am a loner up here. No car people here.
    I have some I consider a friend , a couple are on the HAMB here, but they live elsewhere. I have a few car guy "acquaintances" that tolerate me for awhile. Have very little contact with most that I know.
    When I would make a new friend , it seems it doesn't take long for me to apparently piss them off.
    At least it gives me more time to finish my car....Ron

loudbang, Peter Nowak and The37Kid like this.
  24. I hear ya.
    Getting along is an acquired skill.
    Just because someone asks a question doesn’t mean they want to know the answer.

LAROKE, loudbang and r2c1 like this.
  25. You're referring to Roy Idman I assume - best known for his dozen different louver press dies? :) He looked fine the last time I saw him but that was over a year ago at Hershey.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    bowie and loudbang like this.
  26. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Glad to see I'm not alone. Since I was a kid building models, railroading or whatever I enjoyed working alone. Still played sports and had friends but its the building and problem solving that I enjoy, still is.

loudbang likes this.
  27. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the response! Dang auto correct. Been a few years , since I have hung out with Roy. He’s one of my favorite friends, glad he is well!

loudbang likes this.
  28. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I am definitely a loner in the garage. The only one I will work with is my dad and my best girl. She is very tenacious and her small hands come in handy.
    Dad has so much knowledge that I know whatever he's working on will be done right. I cant say that about any of my friends.

SAM3 Customs and loudbang like this.
  29. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Been there. And it's not just car clubs. Have had the same experience in other totally different clubs/organizations. Therefore, I no longer belong to any clubs/organizations.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    LAROKE and loudbang like this.
  30. Not so much a lone wolf. I don't belong to an official car club. But have some friends. We call ourselves the { Knuckdragers }. We do all the fun stuff like clubs do. We have picnics, attend shows, do garage crawls. But there's no monthly meetings, dues, or working at a car show. Yeah, we just do the FUN stuff. We are very close to each other. Even though we don't live near one another. So I'm more like this Wolf. lol Ron.... 155.jpeg 139.jpeg 143.jpeg .[​IMG]

hotrodjack33 and loudbang like this.