Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Buick heater box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeltaBravo(DB), Feb 4, 2021.

1. Anyone ever seen a replacement one of these or know someone who can fabricate a new one? IMG_3457.JPG IMG_3458.JPG IMG_3459.JPG

2. Looks about as good as most of the 80+ year old parts I've worked with. This may help: Prior to WW2, nearly all accessories such as heaters were dealer-installed. Harrison division of GM made radiators and heaters for all GM vehicles. There is not going to be a huge difference in the heaters that carry the Buick name and the ones that carry the Chevy or Pontiac name, so you may find another heater or two for parts from something else in the GM line. Harrison also sold universal aftermarket accessory heaters with the Harrison name on them. You're probably going to 12V. Don't even try to put a resistor in to run the 6V motor. A NAPA store that still has the Old Guy With White Hair and Thick Glasses Who Can Look Stuff Up in Those Old Books in the Back should be able to get you a 12V motor with the same dimensions, shaft size, and shaft length.

3. Did not know that, Thanks.

4. kind of firms up my thoughts of sealing the hole in the floor and not having a heater. Heat is not in large demand on the gulf coast.

5. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The tin that I see there appears to just need a little time in a sand blast cabinet and some paint, the biggest problem I've had with old GM heaters is that some are circular cores and all that I have found have the cores ruined when they froze up. Replacement cores aren't cheap. Earlier suggestions to just find another GM unit are spot on.

Hnstray and DeltaBravo(DB) like this.
  6. choptop40

choptop40

I was thinking some of the under dash hot water after market units should be easy to tweak under the seat.. they are compact.. you’d have to run the wiring , that’s just power supply and ground..

DeltaBravo(DB) and Hnstray like this.
  7. brading

brading

If you can find someone that has got a copy of Rodders Digest April 1996 there is a long list in there of Part numbers and the dimension of Napa heater motors. I dare say that some on the list are no longer available.

DeltaBravo(DB) likes this.
  8. Sporty45

Sporty45

9. goldmountain

goldmountain

I just dug out that issue and can't find a long list of part numbers but there is a nice article on updating a heater.

10. brading

brading

11. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I have this heater core for sale, may take some digging to find it if you need it

Attached Files:

12. Sporty45

Sporty45

Well, the ones I posted above have sold. Did you grab em DB? :cool:

13. DB,
    What is wrong with yours? Coil busted or motor froze? I might have a motor.

14. Sporty45 likes this.
  15. No sure didnt

16. Thanks, still have it?

17. I may have to take back the no heater needed comment. Forecasted to be 19 degrees Monday night. I know many of you laugh off 19 but we are sure not prepared for that here.

18. Hudson31

Hudson31

G

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. Sporty45

Sporty45

I would say yes, but I personally don't care for it, even though I'm a Dennis too! :p

20. Bangingoldtin to be honest I havent got into it. It looked so far gone I cast it aside. Starting to think I might make that a project of its own.

21. Sporty45 Somehow I imagine you can be a menace too sometimes haha. Guiness is an aquired taste for sure. Havent had any in many years. Got my taste back when they had the wooden pumps from the cellar kegs and you needed to order 10-15 minutes before you actually wanted one.

Sporty45 likes this.
  22. Sporty45

Sporty45

Well, my wife would certainly agree!

23. 38Fordpickup, Decided to dig into it and it is a Harrison. The core actually pressure tested good at teh radiator shop which surprised me. I could even see the fins when I first pulled it out. I think this is salvagable. Even if not functional it will be anatomically correct.

24. VTX1800, You were spot on. It is actaully cleaning up very nicely and the core pressure tested good. Glad I didn't blow it off and thanks.