Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody else a lone wolf out there??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikec4193, Feb 4, 2021.

1. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh my...I never professed to be perfect OR humble...just extremely delightful:p

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been pretty much been a loner all my life. What few friends I had were left behind when I moved 2 years ago. By the time I built my new shop and got my equipment all set up and the house settled, Covid hit, so no venue to meet any new local gear heads.
    No biggie, I just keep plodding along working on my project.

3. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Sorry but dogs are way too clingy, I like cats, miserable, arrogant little shits

4. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree;)
    aaa.jpg

Wanderlust likes this.
  5. gene-koning

gene-koning

I did my time in car clubs, I'm not very interested in trying another one.

I like most people, but I'm not very outgoing until I really get to know people better. I'm not much of a conversation starter.

I usually work on my car by myself, distractions drive me crazy. I have a one track mind, I can do a lot of stuff, but multi tasking is not something I do well. I've learned to tell people up front that my mind is like those old telephone switchboards we used to see in the movies, I work on one line, if you change the subject, I have to unplug and switch to a different line, if you switch back to the last subject, I have to unplug and plug into the other line again. If I'm helping someone on their car, we are either working on the car, or we are talking, I'm willing to do either, but not both at the same time. I tend to have little tolerance for people that insist that I should learn to multi task, at 64, that isn't going to happen, even if it could.

I do enjoy cruising with other cars, I do a few car shows (if I won a trophy, there were not enough cars there), and I have done some swap meets, all with other car people.
    I don't picture myself as a lone wolf. Gene

LAROKE, osage orange, 56don and 2 others like this.
  6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes.
    Would like to avoid being expected to show up someplace at a particular time on a regular basis.

My garage is my world away from the world.
    Except for you guys.

7. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

No club. My friends are not into old cars. Into this hobby because of my Dad. We worked together on them since I was young and through the years until he passed. Had a good friend that together we worked on his and my stuff for several years until he retired and moved away. Most times only me alone in the shop. Luckily, my 6 year old grandson hangs out with me and helps quite often. He actually is a good little helper. Not afraid to get his hands greasy. And, already can use most tools proficiently. We also have a trapline together that is quite the adventure in its self. Love the time we get to do anything together. Really like to go to swap meets and some car shows, usually by myself. Wife might go with me on occasion but really doesn't enjoy them much. In my profession I see people all day. So, that makes the time that I spend alone in the shop very relaxing/enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, would love to have someone like I used to have to cut up with and hang out in either their shop or mine. If not for the grandson, I guess I'd be considered a lone wolf.

loudbang and williebill like this.
  8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I don't see a contradiction.
    What I see and use is a forum. This is a forum, not a club.
    I sit at my desk by myself reading this forum. I'll eat a sandwich by myself while reading this forum.
    I laugh by myself reading this forum. I get good information while reading this forum by myself.
    I go to car shows and auctions by myself because other people will only slow me down. I like to talk to myself because I understand me. I know what I like and what I want.
    I wish I could provide a funny quip for a contradiction but I'm by myself and don't feel like cracking myself up.
    I like, Me. Myself and I...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    210superair, WB69, papadaddio and 7 others like this.
  9. Rah Rah Records

Rah Rah Records

Lone cat. I'm friendly enough, but not a joiner. Unless you need a theremin in your band, then I'm all aboard. Most of my friends are musicians or artists or both, but none of them are into old cars except one friend's kid who just got an old Dart. I give him advice where I can.

10. trollst

trollst

Thanks man, its been a bit of a shock.

Packrat, osage orange and loudbang like this.
  11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I grew up hating school. The people, I couldn`t stand. I mowed lawns and loved the time by myself. Picked a profession in the automotive field. Now I work alone. And love it. No one on their phone texting while I`m working. No time clock. Work until the job is done, onto the next. Love talking cars and do belong to a club. Have since I was 12. Attend many car shows and car events. Usually by myself, everybody is always busy. Do have a few friends that I do car events with, Always a good time. I tell them, before we go, there is no schedule and no time restraints. Have a good friend, his wife has come to expect us at home when we get there. Usually way later than most. Leave at 6 am and home by 1:00 am.

loudbang likes this.
  12. grumpy65

grumpy65

I know "they" do, and I can vouch that it works. Like I said, I told him to F#*K OFF. Without the helpful little pills he would have been leaving via the second story window................:mad:

loudbang and Budget36 like this.
  13. brando1956

brando1956

"The better I get to know people the more I like dogs." Mark Twain

Retired last year. My 50 plus years of work always involved working with the public. Last was service writer in a large powersports dealer. UTV's, bikes, sleds, boats, all major brands. Always way behind, and short of qualified help. Spent half of my time on the phone getting abused because customers had to wait a month or more to get their expensive toys fixed.

Always been kind of a loner but the last few years finished me with the genital public. I live on 40 acres 5 miles from a village pop. 500. No neighbors within a half mile and that's the way I like it. People have become such rude selfish assholes that I just don't want to deal with them anymore. My first job was in the local grocery store in the above village. When I compare the behavior of the people I served 50 years ago with those of today I just shake my head.

My two car buddies passed away recently so it's just me and Charlie (my avatar) working on my OT junk and old tractors. We talk a lot and he never gives me shit. Don't have an on-topic ride at the present but enjoy seeing and reading about the fantastic builds going on here and the exchange of ideas and BS.

You don't see many posts from me since I don't have much to say on-topic, but I lurk here most every night. This is about at social as I get. Besides, Twain also said, "better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak up and remove all doubt."

14. grumpy65

grumpy65

Hey @brando1956 , I get where you are coming from. I own and operate a small business dealing with people every day in the construction industry. It seems to get harder each year to interact with the public because, as you say, attitudes are getting worse and worse. As @Peter Nowak stated early on, too many people see themselves as the "self appointed keeper of the jewel" these days, and it can grind you down.

I will also say that there is still good in the world, including a hell of a lot of good, respectful, worthwhile people. Seek them out. It is just a little harder to find them, but they are definately out there. It's good for the soul to sometimes be able to share time with others. I think all of us here just have high expectations of others, and no filter.....;)

PS: Give Charlie a big scratch behind the ear from me.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  15. ...........WOW, I just had an epiphany. I never realized just how lucky I am!:D:):D:)..;)

16. Ziggster

Ziggster

Belonged to a newly formed Mopar club when my grandmother inherited her brother’s 64 Chrysler Saratoga. I think I was around 17 and I think it lasted about a year or two. They took off with about $5K that had been raised and that was that for car clubs, but my cousin (big car nut like myself), and my grandmother attended lots of shows. It was fun. She won some prizes, but she really did it for my cousin and I. Have some really fond memories of those times, especially when I would go cruising alone in that beast. Been a loner most of my life, and do most of my work alone, but do appreciate a hand or two from my kids when I need it. Do belong to a truck “club”, but it is a loosely knit band of brothers who are much the same - loners. I do go to some car shows and cruise nights when I can, but it is just me - in and out, with an occasional chat if something catches my eye. I have said this before, and will say it again, since my build began, I have travelled thousands of kms in search of parts, and have met the nicest folks, so you all can’t be as bad as you think. Lol!

osage orange and loudbang like this.
  17. This " lone wolf " discussion is darn near depressing. I never drink alone and now I wanna go for a drive........

18. Well this is cathartic.
    I feel the same, i haven't made a new friend in 23 years.
    I can go for days without speaking to another soul other than my wife, i like it that way.
    And i like to work alone, in silence.
    Joined a car club when i was young but there were too many roosters so i left.
    Anyhow i like old British cars that most people have never heard of.
    Everybody seems to want a Chev/Ford/Holden, because they're individuals, like everyone else.
    I was a little apprehensive about joining the H.A.M.B cause it seemed like a restrictive, one lane car club. With roosters.
    But there's good and bad in everything, most people i find are good, i just don't need them.
    So i'll do my thing, if people don't like it they can go and get fucked.

19. You only like that mut because he pissed on my wheels!

loudbang likes this.
  20. .....C'mon man, tell us how you really feel.:D;)

Joe Blow, loudbang and i.rant like this.
  21. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

Interesting question.

No one in my professional life, social circle, or civic activities has any particular interest in cars, especially old hot rods. None of them can discuss dropped axles or 97's.

And I thought I had beaten the old-Ford disease when I sold my '39 coupe many years ago. But I suffered a relapse and bought a basket-case A roadster pickup. I enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to build it as an AV8, from Z-ing the frame to installing a Pertronix distributor. My occasional questions are answered on the HAMB or Ford Barn, so I don't really need any help enjoying the hobby.

In fact, I feel a bit sorry for those who don't have such tangible evidence of being able to create something beautiful from a pile of old parts.

22. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gee Don, I'm just surprised it took you so long to realize how wonderfully delightful I am.

Budget36 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. .....I'm slow like that.:D;)

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  24. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, of course you are!!! Bless your heart;)

25. I try to keep 6-8 friends, depending on my weight. I don't want my wife to have to hire pallbearers.

TerrytheK, alanp561, LAROKE and 17 others like this.
  26. jimvette59

jimvette59

I had plenty in the 50s to 90s now I have my little shop and stay home and play with my toy

Attached Files:

27. ElSolo

ElSolo

Love old cars and being around them building and searching for them,retired now doing it all by myself lived in Washington for long time tried to join car club there but I wasn’t cool enough in my work in progress 29 pickup so got discouraged with Clubs ,sometimes it be nice to have extra hand or someone to wander the junkyards with or just BS . But I am pretty lucky my wife super supportive of my car addiction and live 10 min from drag strip ! Just waiting for all car shows and swapmeets to start up again and do more cross country drives in my roadster . Most of all I don’t post much but H.A.M.B. has been the Club I needed whenever Iam need for motivation or inspiration or figuring out how to do something this is the place . Thanks to all

Elsolo

28. 34Larry

34Larry

In self exile, but have to say I have always been a loaner, and my oldest daughter followed in my steps also. I'm like that cause I can go where I want, when I want, how I want, do what I want not answering to anyone. That's probably why I did not understand the HAMB meaning of traditional when first posting my '34 with the IFS/IRS when first "trying" to do so.
    Fished a loaner, hunted a loaner, worked on my ' coupe a loaner, loved it and still do. Never worked on a crew always worked alone. Nothing like fishing alone either.
    Edit to add this.
    I like being different also, guess that's part of being a loaner, not going along with the crowd like the millions of Face Book junkies are.
    You could say that having and building a '34 3 window Highboy is "going along", feeding at the trough with hundred of other pigs, being one with them, but mine is different from those what with the chromed jag IRS and IFS and running a 331 HEMI. I mean not to many of that running around so I consider it different anyway.
    Now I must admit to be President of two clubs in my time, one of them 5 times. One a Trout Unlimited Steelhead/Salmon fishing club and also a 250 member Bocce club and that is far from being a loaner. But that was only a small percentage of my time. In those roles I still maintained my desires to be alone and did accomplish being both social and a loaner.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    loudbang and tom42flattv like this.
  29. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd be shootin' for 10 there, slim...:p:D:D:D

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Use an engine hoist , they only have to move you from the table to the furnace ...LOL