Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Dale Walksler RIP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson48, Feb 4, 2021.

1. hudson48

hudson48

Mainly known for his motorcycle collection and Museum in Maggie Valley but also had some very interesting cars in his collection. I met him in Maggie Valley a few years ago when attending the KKOA run there. His Museum was very popular with the KKOA people and was a kind of base for the run. He was only 68.
    https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/ama-hall-of-famer-dale-walksler-r-i-p/

32SEDAN, loudbang, Joe Blow and 5 others like this.
  2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Oh wow! He was instrumental in the classic motorcycle world!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  3. A fun guy, great museum.

I first visited the Wheels Through Time Museum in Mt. Vernon, Illinois the last summer before it moved, while I was cruising from Americruise in Lincoln, Nebraska to NSRA, Louisville.

I never met Dale until visiting his museum a couple years ago, while I was attending the Vintage Street Rods of America event in Maggie Valley. Once we realized we had grown up near each other, we seemed to immediately hit it off.

Sorry to his family for their loss.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

5. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I only saw him on TV, but he looked healthy, happy, and impressed me as a good guy. When we lose such people, we lose a little part of ourselves.

6. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

My condolences to his family and friends. Sure seemed like a good guy who presented as knowledgeable on his show.

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the Walksler family and friends on the passing of Dale...much to early...may he Rest in Peace...

@hudson48 thanks for sharing this loss to the Community...

Regards,
    Stogy

8. Horrible news.... truly sad. I've always enjoyed watching him on TV. Smart man gone too soon

9. hudson48

hudson48

Phil that is where we met the first time.

10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

While my wife and I were visiting his museum a few years back we were surprised when Dale fired up one of his ancient fire snorting beasts and rode it down an aisleway! Later on he took the time to expound on many of the items in his collection - trophies, helmets, etc. and he knew the details of the history of each.
    He took us outside and showed us a few recent arrival acquisitions still in the car trailer. Understand, he didn't know us from Adam - we just showed an interest and he answered all my questions.

A great guy.
    R.I.P. Dale

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20210204_182909.jpg sincere sympathy goes out to his Family, Friends and fans

keywestjack, loudbang, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  12. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I Visited the museum a few years ago, Dale there, he was busy firing up the vintage midget that is just inside the entrance. He was an icon in the motorcycle world and will be missed, I am sure his son will continue his legacy.

13. cjsavage

cjsavage
    from eastern nc

Great guy. Will be missed. Always took time to answer questions. He delighted in firing up most any bike you showed interest in. Sometimes he even did burnouts right in the museum. Plenty of tire marks to prove it. His son Mat is from the same mold. Sorry for your loss Mat.

Sent from my moto z3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Oh no!
    Last time I went, he fired up the maroon, Riley B sprint car for me like I was somebody important!
    I will always remember that courtesy.
    What an upbeat guy. He loved his job.
    A loss to our part of the world.
    Rest In Peace, Sir.
    IMG_1811.JPG

IMG_1804.JPG

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  15. Yes it is. I remember it was raining during the cookout.

I met @jim snow that day also.

16. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

Wow, I enjoyed the TV show. RIP Dale.

loudbang, Stogy and Lil32 like this.
  17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Wow , sad news! What happened?

loudbang, Stogy and Lil32 like this.
  18. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Sad to hear. The museum has a YouTube channel where they post regular videos of various bikes in the collection; it's hosted by his son, and I've wondered why Dale wasn't in them.

19. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

The news article only says he died after a long illness, his family may not want details made public.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. Lil32

Lil32

Prayers to Family

21. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I am on their mailing list, I received this today:

It is with heavy hearts that we at Wheels Through Time let you know that our beloved founder, curator, and friend Dale Walksler passed away peacefully, with his wife by his side, at home on February 3, 2021, after a courageous four year battle with cancer.

In 1967 at the age of 15, Dale built his first motorcycle, sparking a life-long love affair with American Motorcycles and their history. At 22, Dale established a Harley/Davidson Franchise in Mt. Vernon, Ill: Dale’s Harley-Davidson. His signal success as a dealer grew to include the decades-long work that would define his life: the creation of the museum we now know as Wheels Through Time.
    As the museum collection grew, so too did Dale’s vision for the museum, his reputation, his mechanical and curatorial skills, and a goal of always exceeding expectations of customers and guests.
    In 2002 Dale opened the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, NC. From humble beginnings in a small Illinois town, one of the world’s premier collections of rare and vintage American motorcycles, automobiles, and memorabilia emerged. Wheels Through Time became an Iconic American Institution and known internationally.
    Those who have visited Wheels Through Time know that Dale’s passion was not just something to be observed but rather experienced. Whether it was listening to his vast knowledge and stories of transportation history or watching him start a motorcycle, his was a passion that was infectious. It inspired in many, that same desire to preserve and celebrate American motorcycle history. His genius rested on the latter portion of the Wheels Through Time logo, “The Museum That Runs.”

Dale was a man of vision, zeal, intensity, imagination, and generosity. He will be deeply missed by his family, friends, and the staff at Wheels Through Time, and as well as by the countless tens of thousands who have visited the museum.
    Dale’s vision was not just one of preserving the past but was also focused on the future. In that regard, he made great strides to ensure that the museum and his legacy would carry on for generations to come.
    A celebration of Dale’s life will be announced at a later date. At this time, we ask for privacy for the family as they mourn his passing.
    At Dale’s request, in lieu of flowers, please send any donations and condolences to Wheels Through Time, PO Box 790, Maggie Valley, NC 28751.
    All donations will be dedicated to ensuring the continuance of the legacy that Dale created far into the future and to giving museum visitors historical insight into the vital role that transportation has played in American history. The thrill of hearing the cycles run coupled with thoughts of riding into the wind will continue to evoke thoughts of Dale’s vibrant spirit --- and his dream.

Wheels Through Time
    62 Vintage Lane
    Maggie Valley, NC 28751

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

22. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Truly a great loss to the motorcycle and automotive world, he was a one of a kind person and a class act, condolences to his family!

23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

He was a great bike ambassador and sure created a fantastic museum.

24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I have limited knowledge in the motorcycle world. But by watching Dale and learning of his passion in what he does and teach, Makes you want to learn more. His museum is on one of my to do lists. His legacy will carry on.

loudbang, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I'm so sad to hear of Dales passing. I first met him several years before the Museum moved to North Carolina. He was a friend to all. Always a joy to watch on television, no matter the venue. R.I.P.

loudbang, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

R.I.P. Loved watching the show.

27. karl share

karl share

Being the owner of a 1921 Harley Davidson F model in original running condition i have always looked at Dale's collection in awe. He has collected and maintained a virtual who's who of the American motorcycle industry,
    without his foresight and enthusiasm a lot of his collection would be scrap metal in China.
    I hope the museum will have a long and prosperous life.
    Condolences to his family. :(

28. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enjoyed watching the show. Dale's vast knowledge and enthusiasm was amazing. Condolences to his family.
    Jim

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.