Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A little help? (DPPA Exemption?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dchaz, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Dchaz

Dchaz

Back in my junior year of high school my dad and I built a 26 T Sedan delivery. Right after his cancer started taking control and I sold the car to help pay bills. Dad passed in 93 and I’ve kinda been looking for the car off and on since. I recently found the vin# in a box of pictures. I’ve tracked the car to Florida. According to the Florida DMV website it was registered there in 06. The website says the title is still active but hasn’t been registered since 09. I’m at a dead end now. Anyone here have a DPPA exemption or know someone that I can use to get a name and address of the last person to register it so I can at least try to buy it back? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

You might try posting pictures of the car in case someone here has seen it and knows where it is, there are quite a few from Florida on here.

3. Dchaz

Dchaz

It’s not exactly H.A.M.B. friendly but here’s the last picture I have. IMAG0014.JPG

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

I can see why you would want it back. Good luck.

5. I am surprised that you were even able to get as much information about it as you have so far. I didn't think the government was allowed to give out any info of vehicle's past or present registration.

6. That’s a nice T. Hope your able to get it back.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  7. Dchaz

Dchaz

That’s why I need to find someone with a DPPA exemption. Towing companies with storage lots usually have them but here in Texas it is only good for Texas. I don’t think anyone would help if I cold called a tow lot in Florida.

56don likes this.
  8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Used to be, you could track a car here in Washington State, but not any longer. You can track someone's license plate to get a name/address, but the State gives that person your information also, and notifies them you're looking into them. Many years ago, I sold a car, and had immediate sellers remorse, big time. I used a cop, who was a patient at my hospital, to find the current owner via the plate number. That new owner never responded to my letter, so I had my answer. Now, they would probably consider that "an abuse of power" by the cop. Maybe Florida AAA, or you could take a trip to Florida, go to their their DMV, or private vehicle registration outlets; $$$ might even grease the wheels with the right person. Maybe the authority's would be interested in knowing just exactly where that UZI you had was hidden in the car when it was sold? I'm just kidding, but you never know. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. Budget36

Budget36

True for more than just cars. My buddy worked in law enforcement, when I used to go to Gun Shows I’d call him and have him run the serial numbers. Sometime in the early 90’s he told me he couldn’t do it anymore, for a variety of reasons.
    If you think about it, do you (third person) knocking on your door asking if a vehicle that can’t even be seen, is for sale? Not me.

ClayMart likes this.
  10. Dchaz

Dchaz

I don’t plan on just showing up. I’m in Texas the cars in Florida. I at least want to send a letter if nothing else to see if it’s still around.

11. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Florida Craigslist. Do multiple cities explaining your search.
    Long shot but then aren't they all.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

I get ya, but think a bit longer about possible issues. Heck, to be honest, I don’t want a letter asking about something that no one should know about.
    I understand you have good intentions, but there’s another section of people who do not.
    I/e say you came home from a long weekend, find your garage has been broken into. Your T was not there anymore. Local law enforcement says “well, all they needed was xxxx info to know where you lived and where the car was at”.
    That’s all I’m getting at.

13. I think this sounds like your best bet. Post up your photo and inquire if anyone who happens to own it will contact you.

Budget36 likes this.
  14. Dchaz

Dchaz

Tried that a couple times already also tried some Florida car FB pages.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The privacy act prohibits the info being given out without damned good reason for a damned good reason.
    I couldn't even get Arizona to confirm the vin on a car that I had the Arizona Title to in my hand and the car in my possession to make sure that was actually the title to that car. The title had been carried in someone's wallet for a quite a while and the fold was worn to the point a couple of letters were not readable.

I've said it before but the last think I want is some clown showing up on my doorstep unannounced looking for Daddy's old car because he tracked me down via info that he got by less than legit methods. Show up because you can clearly see the vehicle sitting in the yard in plain sight, not an issue.

I'd do as suggested and post an inquire on Florida Craigslist sites with photo. Then on FB if you are on it. I see that there is a Group called hotrods and classic cars of south Florida that is pretty generic old car wise that might be one to post on.

Budget36 likes this.