Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Has the market gone crazy ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Jan 24, 2021.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Not to digress, or to discount your angst, but GM is aiming for all EV by then, and other manufacturers are looking likewise. The existing fleet of gasoline powered vehicles will be on the road far longer after there are none manufactured, so, I think we're going to be driving ICE vehicles for a long time. By 2040, I'll be 86, I'll be driving some from of EV, whether is's a new Chevy, or a motorized wheelchair... I converted an old mobility scooter to a "go-kart" for my grandson, his first words after a trip up an down the drive were, "How do you make it go super-fast?" There will be hot rodding in the future.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  2. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

No worries If the clowns Ban Gasoline we can just Get some copper, Plant some corn and get the Baldwin Sisters Recipe and run our Hot rods on Clean tasting 100 proof! :D:D

3. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

In the past year locally the prices for projects to finished has gone mental, finished cars are subject to personal taste, but projects ? Common 4 doors, rotten, with stuck or missing engine/ power train for 4-5000. Absofruitly nucken futz in my slightly humble opinion.

4. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Personally what I think it’s come too is non “ car people “regrettably in our age demographic, with more money than brains having a desire for the vehicle dear old dad had way back when they were starry eyed come laden teens. So price is no object when it comes to recapturing their misspent youth, they’re perfectly willing to purchase some rattle trap piece of shit and drag it to a body shop to recreate their fondest memories.

31hotrodguy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^ If they can afford it. I say why not. They can`t take the money with them. You would be happy to sell a part, a car, or offer a service to them. Wouldn`t you.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  6. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

There once was a young Airman station at Travis AFB, CA, back in the 50s. He along with several of his buddies build up a 32 Ford coupe using all of the standard speed equipment and custom trends of the time. You know, Chevy V8, 4 speed, lots of carbs, chopped top, the works. From the time it was completed he took the car to many shows and gather up a few trophy's. He got out of the service and went back home to PA, got married, working, and had a normal life. The car was stored in a one car garage and stay that way until his death, along with all of the extra parts and tools. Several years after his passing, the wife decided to sell the car and move to FL. On the advise of a friend she put everything up for auction. The winning bid buys it all. At the showing, I went to take a look, it was something like you would see out of Rod and Custom. Another guy was there, looking it all over and had come upon the knowledge that this car won some big time show in CA. The other guy asked me if I was interest in making a bid, told him that the car with all of the stuff going with it was out of my league. He said that he would pay me to come to the bidding with him and help him load the car, tools, and extra parts. He was pretty sure of himself. Well, with nothing to loose, I show up. Many of the locals were there with their pick ups and trailers looking for a sure thing at a low bid. The man from the auction house open up the bid and everyone just stood still. After a few minutes he said does anyone have a bid and went over everything that was going with the car. The guy that I was helping said that he would throw his hat into the ring and said, $35,000.00. Upon that all of the other people started to voice their complains but the bid went through. The guy was smart, he knew the value of the car, the history of the car, even had the money to cover his bid in the same bank as the seller. I help him load up everything and notice that his truck and enclosed car trailer had CA plates and at lunch he told me that he was from CA. So I guess that certain vehicles have a certain value to certain people.

7. There’s still deals to be had, if one realizes that it’s not 1985 anymore. Plus a person needs to get off the computer and track them down, that part hasn’t changed.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Young people are looking for an experience, rather than ownership. My son is upset by all the stuff his parents have- sell something and get me better internet. He grudgingly got his beginners permit- I got my license the week after my birthday. If my niece wants to drive fast she is likely to rent a fast car, get it out of her system and check out what countries she wants to visit next. I don’t understand them and they don’t understand me- like that has never happened before. Lots of older car people don’t want to list their cars on the internet, only to have a 100 idiots dig through their stuff and scope out their property. I put out a wanted listing and promise no drama, going to check out a couple cars when travel restrictions free up around here. When I vend at flea markets I can get more for a coke case that someone stole and kept in their basement, than the Royal dalton that they got for their wedding and has been in their display case. Adapt and change with the times.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

I don't do it for the money but do come out almost every time. As the Federal prints more it makes whats is your pocket less. $6000.00 car 4 years ago is $10,000.00. Same car, same parts, same labor just inflation.

31hotrodguy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Last summer, I was talking to a friend that has a really nice Merc. He told me a guy called him out of the blue and asked if his Merc was for sale. He said no. The guy had 90 grand to spend and wondered if he knew of any for sale. He didn`t know of any. A couple weeks later the guy lost everything but the cloths on his back in a west coast fire. Don`t fault the guy for not selling his Merc. It seems everybody is chasing the all mighty dollar. And the people with the money are chasing the cool car.

VANDENPLAS and jimmy six like this.
  11. cfmvw

cfmvw

Everything is insane right now. Cars are one thing, but the real estate market here in Maine is just out of control. I know a few people who tapped into the equity of their homes to buy stuff, can't help but wonder who will get caught holding the bag at the next economic downturn.

VANDENPLAS and 31hotrodguy like this.
  12. David Palacios

David Palacios

Sad story for sure

VANDENPLAS and stanlow69 like this.
  13. The days of just a affordable project has seemed to vanish, I was looking at a pretty decent project pickup 1952 model no engine or transmission, it had a title and fair paint, te interior was shot as were the tires.

there was no price but the truck had a for sale sign in the window and the grass had grown up around the truck, I looked it over and then ask how much he wanted 15 grand! :eek: for a project, dream on . HRP

14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

With the capability of the internet. People are able to look up what something is worth. Thus, the days of good deals are harder to find. Then you got the flippers who find the bargain before you and ask the going rate. Then there are those people who ask a high(more than what it`s worth) price because, -----. If you can figure that out, then good for you.

15. Gabby

Gabby

I went to a auction back in Nov. that had several car up for grabs. A 49 Ford conv. went for 18.5K, a 54 glass roof Sunliner went for 13.5 K and a 51 Vicky went for 10K. All these were in great condition and needed nothing. The auctioneer said the conv. was sold to a guy for 35K and his wife didn't like it so previous owner gave him his money back. Looking back I wish I had gotten the Vicky.

16. Yes sir, It's gotten to the point where you can buy a finished car cheaper than some projects. HRP

cfmvw, abe lugo, VANDENPLAS and 4 others like this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The last thing I would buy today is “ready for paint”

impala59, 31hotrodguy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. I see just the oppo, lots of affordable projects! Not enough shop!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kind of weird. High dollar cars coming way down in price. Yet plenty of absolute junk for ridiculous prices. At least around here. Still a few good candidates for projects out there. "Few" being the key word. Keep looking.

20. Rah Rah Records

Rah Rah Records

The usual suspects are always out of my league price wise, but if you venture off the beaten path there's lots of cheap iron with potential. Not enough for me to pull the trigger, but someone with more skill could make something cool.

21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Worked on a project out of town today. Stopped to see a guy whose car I need to work on. Todays temp was 45. So he says get in and we go for a drive to get gas. 15 miles down the road. Snow is on the ground but the roads are clear. He just got his car back after 7 years and over 200 grand in it. 180 miles on the rebuild since November. Did I mention no convertible top on the car as he is waiting on me. He was grinning from ear to ear, even got it up to 100. He lets go of the wheel and says it goes straight like an arrow. 67 GTO.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  22. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Why hate on Flippers so much? They are not twisting anyones arm to sell. I have bought and sold many cars and projects over the years and never once forced anyone to sell to me. Bottomline if I did not find a way for my car hobby to pay for itself then I would have to just keep drooling at the Hotrod magazines. Raising 6 kids does not allow much extra money for a hot rod hobby. Never had anything to do with Greed for me, Just figuring out how I could make it work.

23. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

How I long for the good old days when you could have it , just so long as you hauled it away. There are still some out there but getting bloody Hard to come by. Nowadays you have to contend with the flippers, and the people who inherit that are influenced by the internet and these dumb ass shows, who haven’t an fn clue what they have but are convinced they’re sitting on a gold mine. I guess as long as someone will pay I’d have to say they’re right but the real annoying part is they have absolutely no clue how much time, energy and MONEY it takes to get them back or the road, and could care even less . Ok rant over, I suppose it’s the “ Scots” in me or maybe the scotch in me that bothers me so much.

24. In my mind, there are two kinds of guys that buy and sell: hobbyists that fund their CAR addiction by picking up a car to upgrade and detail, then sell it at a MODEST profit and move on. I've got a friend that has been doing that since high school whom I would buy from in a heart beat. Solid, honest guy.
    Then there's.... the "flipper" that wants to beat down a seller until he bleeds, puts lipstick on the pig, then sells to some unsuspecting guy for enough profit to fund his kids college education. This includes "specialty" car dealers, etc.
    And I don't buy the "buyer beware' BS either... I believe in Karma, and I do a little dance every time it bites back!

SR100, grumpy65 and TrailerTrashToo like this.