Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Daily Driver - Squarebird

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, Oct 9, 2020.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Good story. I had a '64 that was my daily commuter, back in the '80s. It was totally original, reliable as a brick mechanically. But oh, the electrics.. Can't really blame 20 year old wiring and motors. Loved that thing, but it finally started burning oil at a good rate so we parted ways.

Tbird1.jpg

loudbang, Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had the same problem in a much newer off topic Ford van. Rather than pay big money for new switches, I pulled the switches from the driver's side door and shot them full of electrical contact cleaner then blew them dry with an air hose. Did that 4 or 5 times, plugged them back in and they all worked. After a year or so, same problem again and I repeated the contact cleaner treatment. They worked for me until I sold the van.

loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  3. Very cool! I have always liked the 64's and 65's too. I was actually filling up the 60 with gas the other day and a couple guys took interest in it. It turned into one of those "Do you want another one?" conversations. Anyway, they knew a lady that had a 68 (if I remember what he said right) and was moving and needed to sell the car. He said she would take $200-$300 for it and just needed it moved before she had to move. It was one of those cheap enough to at least go see it since it was close to where my kids went to school deals. I went to check it out and was pleasantly surprised to see it was actually a 64. I knocked on the door and the lady came out to let me look at it. Didn't take but a few seconds to see it was a pretty nice car that had just been sitting a while and I was ready to buy it for the price until I asked to confirm what "2 or 3" was that she was asking...it was thousands. Still not bad, but I had to walk away at that price. I do still think of driving back by there to see if it is still sitting there.

IMG_0948[1].JPG

IMG_0952[1].JPG

Hmm...good to know. I started trying to see if it was the switch or the motor, but not sure I know yet. So far, it seems like the switch is working ok, but the motor won't reverse. I need to look at it again soon.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    40two, BORN 2L8, drdave and 2 others like this.
  4. I completely agree. He just sold a 32 Ford coupe that was a very cool hot rod with a hard chop and channel and a nailhead with 6 carburetors. He decided as much as he liked the coupe, he wanted a car he could more enjoy with his girlfriend and son. When I first started checking out the Merc, I was surprised how the entire car appears the same as my Ford from the beltline up including the complete doors. He is really enjoying it and I like it more as a sedan than if it was a hardtop because it is different.

IMG_0440[1].JPG

40two, BORN 2L8, drdave and 3 others like this.
  5. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

If that '64 is as good as it looks $2000-3000 would be a great deal for someone.

6. Yea, it did look pretty nice and solid. A good bath to get all the moss off and I think it would be a pretty nice car. I'm sure it needs all the normal stuff from sitting, but that is why I can't quit thinking about going back by... Someone does need to get it if it is still available. I just couldn't swing the money part with too much else going on...

loudbang, Thor1 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  7. On the window topic, I "inherited" an OT import car from my son's room-mate at college. Unfortunately, 8 hours from here. Wife and drove up to get it, and I'd drive it home. Ran window down, while we were getting it started and checked out. Out on the highway, couldn't run window back up. Forecast was cold and potential rain. Contacted a fellow I knew(online) from drag race group in town along the way. He was 2 hours along the way. Got to his place, met face to face, then pulled door panels, disconnected motor from harness, jumpered motor and got it to run up. Good to go. Found dirty contacts in door switch, once we got it home. But needed extra battery and some long jumper wires to do the job on the road.

8. Don't you have three 16 year olds?
    Surely you need another T bird!!

9. Yes...but need and want are two different things...at least according to my wife. :D On that note, pretty sure we already have too many projects even needing vehicles for the three 16 year olds. We have more than enough if we could just get them all going. :oops:

loudbang, 48fordnut, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  10. I can understand that. My girlfriend said we need to buy a pickup. I asked, why do we need to buy one? I have two that just need transmissions

loudbang, alanp561, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Man, those 'Hey you want another one conversations'.. Yes, way nicer than a '68, and looks like a decent deal depending on mileage, rebuilds... Still, even having owned one, not my favorite body style. I'd prefer a Squarebird like yours or 62-3.

12. Out of curiosity, which configuration is the Merc currently in? Blackwalls and skirts or skinny whites and no skirts? I'm guessing the whites are current and the skirts just haven't gone back on since the tire change. Cool car.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  13. Yep, whitewalls and no skirts is as of Saturday. Guessing he either hasn’t got the skirts back on or isn’t panning to. I actually hadn’t noticed the lack of skirts that used to be there until I posted the older pic today.

14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is parked next to the 64 'Bird? Looks like it might be a VW but I can't tell.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Yep, a pretty cool little bug. I think it was a 67, but can’t remember now.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and alanp561 like this.
  16. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I have a friend that has a 66 conv, all options. He went thru the top to get it working in sequence like it is supposed to. What a chore. Dark green with the rotating drivers seat. Really nice.

17. Got a call from a buddy from church the other day asking what year my car was. Then, he tells me he is standing talking to a guy about another 60 that is for sale. When he told me the basic location, I knew the car well. This car has been sitting under tarps, car covers, etc. that have all rotted away in the same spot for right at 30 years. I had often thought of stopping to ask about it and am sure many people have. Anyway, it is apparently now for sale although the price is about double what it ought to be. I decided to check it out closer yesterday since I was driving by on a day that I wished I would have just stayed home. We had some real light rain with temps in the upper 20's, so there were way too many crashes on the highway. After a few miles of 10 mph travel because of folks that tried 70 mph, I finally made the decision to just run a couple errands and head back to the house instead of continuing on to the kids school with all the idiots out on the road. :confused:

Anyway, it appears to be a pretty solid car, but the owner is going to have to find a sucker at the price he is currently asking. Must have watched too many auction shows on tv...
    IMG_1423[1].JPG

18. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

It is some sort of magic - For a couple of decades, the car deteriorates from sun, wind, rain and rodents - and the perceived value increases...

19. If it were only stored in a barn for all that time, the value would be even more... :rolleyes:

Blues4U, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Dang, can't spit in your town without hitting a T-bird! Must have had a heck of a Ford salesman there back in the '60s.

Looks good in white too.

21. I really like the square Birds!!
    Before I got my bullet Bird I almost purchased a square from a friend. I may still do it because it's in amazing original condition.

22. Well...left the bird in the shop a few days because I couldn’t get through the snow in the yard to get it out. Finally decided to get a run at it since several of the roads have been cleared. I figured if it could make it across the yard, I had some room to get some speed up to get up out of my driveway that we cleared before hitting the snow packed road. Hoping this snow all goes away by early next week.

FDD396F0-10D2-42EF-B0FB-60CEF721CB6B.jpeg DB5024BF-A122-4DCF-9BF9-2D49262A2972.jpeg

23. Snow is all gone and back to normal routine again this week. I just need to get to a car wash today or tomorrow and get all the road grime and salt cleaned off. I hate driving the car in this mess, but also don’t have much choice right now if I need to go anywhere.

On another note, I did drive back by where the 64 was for sale this morning and it is still there. Thinking of seeing if she will take a lower offer and maybe I will see if I can make a buck on it if me and the boys clean it up and get it running and driving. Or, maybe we could keep it and get rid of the Corvair that is frustrating me more than it should. o_O

24. I was told by my youngest son earlier that my parking skills are not good as was told him by his girlfriend when she sees how I park at the homeschool coop. I can't even stay inside the lines. ;) My son knows why I park that way, but funny how many people don't get it. Anyway, I had to laugh since I am guessing anyone on here knows how to park over the lines...in an end spot... Heck, I am mostly in the spot actually today. :D

IMG_1455[1].JPG

drdave, charleyw, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  25. Ok, so thinking toward beautiful weather ahead where driving with the windows down is a must...I think I am going to need to look into rebuilding the window motor on the passenger side. Doing some quick searching, these little window motors are NUTS in pricing. It is obviously a demand problem when a little electric motor can be more than way more capable electric motors for other things. Surely it isn’t that hard... I guess I will find out. Anyone have any experience rebuilding one?

Maybe I need to go check on those two “parts cars” near my house. It seems I might be able to get a complete parts car with a good motor for what these little dudes cost.

26. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Yes, those motors are expensive! They can be sent in to a rebuilder for about 270 -350. Not much better!
    I have (possibly) the same motors for the power seat in my bird. And one that need rebuilding.
    I've done some research on this and found a utube video on rebuilding a small motor like these. I know that it can be done but would be pretty tedious. Since they are forward and backward circuits. I'll see if I can find the vid.

27. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

This guy, rebuilds and rewinds them. He says he started with zero experience so there may be hope for me to try it. so it may have some promise.

28. Wow! Thanks! I will check out the video and see if I want to tackle it.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  29. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Also have an friend that has actually done some before but is not interested in doing more at this time. I may be able to connect with him and my hopes are to get some advise or lessons? fingers crossed.

30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

A lot of the time the same motor was used in several different applications, sometimes even in different manufacturers vehicles. There is probably a number on it somewhere that you could find an interchange for it. It would be cheaper for a Galaxie than a TBird if it was the same motor. See that all the time with GM stuff, say it’s for a Corvette and the price doubles or triples!