Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Converting an early Impala to an El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61cad, Nov 18, 2020.

1. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Oh, Jesus! I was OK with it until I saw the picture of the front. They really "Frankenstein-ed" it by installing a 1962 front clip on the car. This really F'd up the car, IMO.

2. It's funny...if you forget about all the stuff they "did" to it and just accept what it is, it's actually pretty cool.

Hnstray, dwollam and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Personally I like it, design cues are there but it’s different. As a former jewellery designer I know that what 95 percent of the people consider unique is really a minor variation on the mainstream, truly different scares them shitless.

31hotrodguy, 61cad, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  4. fortynut

fortynut

Wanderlust has nailed it. We like what we like, because it's like what we like. This is known as the Golden Rule of Marketing. People want variations on what they have already passed judgement on; and if something lacks that, it bombs. Ever wonder why they make so many sequels and remakes?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Wanderlust, 31hotrodguy and 61cad like this.
  5. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't like it. The red one is right. I thought photoshop too because what you can see of the shadow looks like a wagon to me. The fact it's around, well I'll stick with the "If you can't say..."

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Absolutely NO!!! Want a truck, buy a truck. JMO. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Not the ugliest thing i have ever laid eyes on...............

9. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Funny you mentioned that because I like the look and I have a 61 Corvair. I think if someone were to take it to the next level in fit and finish and put a 61 front clip back on it would be bad ass
    The B pillar is fine, what it needs is some Honduras Maroon paint chrome reversed wheels and a Califonia rake with a hard cover for the bed. Throw in some bad as pin stripping and you got a sweet ride.
    You need a W motor with 3 deuces as well. I like that ride

31hotrodguy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  10. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

You could be right about the photo shop. I’m no expert in that area but if so the designer added a lot of fine details including the correct paint color especially on the bottom one. The under side of the Pontiac tail light reflection on the tail gate is pretty impressive too. The access panels in the bed and filler neck in the tail gate both up and down is pretty spot on.
    Like I said could be but they used a lot of correct lines from a wagon and what looks to be the 4dr hard top. Interesting nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. THAT is a pic that Classic Truck Magazine used in their article on that red '62...It is real and I have a second one ['62]now that is under construction that has a 409 4 speed

12. I am back at work after a session with Cancer,having experienced chemotherapy and several surgerys I am doing well and my shop is open full time.........
    I also want to state that the old hamb discounts I used to offer are no longer available.Thanks

Max Gearhead likes this.
  13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

wasn't referring to the red car, was talking about the 61

14. 31hotrodguy likes this.