Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do you do for a living

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by 210superair, Jan 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TJratz

TJratz

I've been the environmental health and safety coordinator for a natural gas pipeline company for the past 9 years was a compressor mechanic for them before that. Started with them when I was 30 been with them 15 years total. Before that I did about 12 years doing body work for a few shops in town.

2. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12 years as a class A CDL/HAZMAT driver, machinery mover and rigger for Ballard Transfer Co.Teamsters local 174.
    prop shaft @ foss (2).JPG
    10 years as a delivery driver for Ballard Hardware Company, in conjunction with the Maritime and commercial fishing industry.
    Truck with pipe 001.jpg
    ballard hardware truck pipe load to alaska.JPG
    7 years as the lead Class A CDL /HAZMAT driver/assistant Foreman in charge of the Truck driving division at the FOSS Shipyard in Seattle. A lot of ( DOT ) desk work, but when needed, I would haul a heavy load such as this buoy that needed to be repaired.
    Kenworth buoy (2).JPG FOSS Kenworth.jpg
    Retired at age 66 back in April, 29th, 2019, and enjoying not having to work anymore. And to be very honest, its a joy, to just sit on my ass now, and take it easy.

IMG_0237 (3).JPG

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You advertise on TV? Just askin’

VANDENPLAS and 57JoeFoMoPar like this.
  4. Love reading these "what do(did)you do for a living" threads. Had many jobs over the years.Spent 4 years loading bombs and stuff on aircraft. Worked in body shops doing bull work mostly(they didn't like me screwing up their Lamborghinis);worked in a ball bearing factory doing a bit of everything(the heat treating department was the worst! Now I know what Hell is like);started working in a parts department and became the manager for awhile.Worked as a dispatcher babysitting mechanics for awhile.Medically retired at 50 after several operations on various body parts.Moved to Michigan and started painting cars again in 93.Twenty-seven years later I'm still painting them only not as much.Made 77 a couple days ago and am still more or less upright and taking in nourishment;can still tell the meat from the potatoes and remember my name most of the time.
    People used to ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up and I would usually say,"Either a part-time shepherd or a life guard in a car wash. My advice to all you young uns out there:"DON'T GROW UP!" It's over-rated.

5. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Like many, I pumped gas a bit in hs, cut grass, and helped my brother paint houses.

After hs, worked for a company that built paper machinery for 10 years. Started driving their small truck, and cleaning the toilets. Graduated to assmbly mechanic, eventually made it to group leader. Decided (with the support of mynew wife) to get an engineering degree. 4 years later, moved to Ohio and worked for a research firm busting things. They called me a research scientist. 5 1/2 years later moved to Ann Arbor MI (M, go Blue) and became a research engineer for the (please don't hate me for this...) US EPA NVFEL. It's the national lab for the EPA where emissions research is done. While there I got a graduate degree from U of M in mechanical engineering. Great school!

An aside, I tested the Hot Rod Magazine Crusher Camaro for emissions after the end of the first Power Tour. And had to ship Rob Kinaan's Power Tour jacket back to him on my nickle!

It was really clean, and management didn't want me to have my own data, and I guess you could say I shot myself in the foot with this one. I left in 98, going to work for NYS' version of EPA the Department of Environmental Conservation, doing, wait for it...

Emissions research in DEC's Automotive Emissions Lab. And I was a Research Scientist again!

22 years went by and I retired this past summer. If you have read my Whatever project intro, you'll know I also did a little racing along the way.

But my education would not have been complete without the first 10 years.

6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had several careers (see my profile) but the one I'm proudest of....is being one of Don's Bitches:eek:
    zzzzz.jpg

Jibs, williebill, mmerlinn and 11 others like this.
  7. What do you do for a living? That is the question. Well, for the last 20 years I’ve been working in a car wash for an O/T automobile dealership ( long story) . The first 7 years we did it by hand ( a-holes and elbows that is, elbow grease) since then it’s become automatic ( push a button and go that is).

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Depends on what "career" we want to talk about. Started as a Special Education teacher at a private school, five years. Armed Nuclear Security for 10 years. Warehouse Lead for a place that does mostly mail-order sales to schools, summer camps, etc. for 13 years. Corporate Security in an office building, for the last almost 11 years. All have been fun, all have had some challenges and interesting spots, but the current one is the best so far (also the highest pay so far, too.)

9. Deuces

Deuces

I was due for a raise 5 years ago...:rolleyes::(

mmerlinn, quick85, Lil32 and 5 others like this.
  10. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I started as a teacher too. 5 years, high school English. Easiest job I ever quit!

11. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

I’m not going to list all my miscellaneous younger years jobs, but by far the most fun job was for 3 years in high school I worked at Six Flags. What a meat market. I dated some girls that were WAY out of my league, and there were always new ones to be met daily. :)
    Anyway I went to vocational and tech school to be an auto mechanic,and worked as one for 3 years. My back was killing me constantly. I passed all my certification tests and was due a huge raise. The boss kept putting it off, and when the next round of raises came out, I got $.25! I was due over $5 an hour raise minimum , so I walked.
    My dad worked at a printing company. I knew nothing about it, and had no interest in that trade, but took a maintenance/janitor job there temporarily. Then I saw guys just out of high school earning way more than most journeyman auto mechanics. Unlimited overtime for the taking to boot. Back in the 80-90’s the commercial printing industry was HOT. I stuck around for the money, and went into the press room. Went from laborer, to assistant pressmen, to pressmen, to foreman.
    I did this for 32 years, and put my kids (7 of em!) through private school and college.
    2 years ago I got sick of living in the city, so I quit and moved out to a small town in the middle of nowhere. I consider myself “living my retirement “. I got a job, to have insurance,at a glass factory. I work in the tempering department. Mindless job, but life in the country is great! :)
    BTW, I turned 56 -today.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  12. superbowl01

superbowl01

after the military 23 years of it, I worked for EMD as well but in the field

13. Boatmark

Boatmark

Coming up on 40 years in the marine industry. Started boat racing at age twelve, got an after school job at a marina, and have been in some form of the boat biz ever since.

I guess I’m the textbook definition of generalist. Worked my way thru the ranks (with a detour thru college) and at this point can design / build / sell / service / manage the warranty / and handle your insurance claim. Spent most of the last twenty in management at manufacturers, but recently circled back to retail - managing service and parts for six dealership locations.

Working on a project that should allow me to ride out the rest of my working days as Owner on the manufacturing / distribution side.

14. Cool thread, always wondered myself what most of you do or did. I've asked a few in a PM. I'm a full time firefighter, 24 on 48 off. Until August of 2024, and then I'll be retiring. I'm the president of the IAFF local 4805, I'm a certified EVT technician, so i work on the equipment that i work on o_O I'm a member of the Ky fire commission board. And of course, a bodyman:D oh, and i play music about every weekend lol. In my spare time i uh.... mow grass:rolleyes:

15. Gnater

Gnater

I like this forum it makes me feel like a young’n at 44.

Worked through high school and college cleaning a repair shop, moved up to tires and exhaust, then running the quick lube operation. My dad professionally restored cars so we always had cool projects around. I inherited one of his favorites when he passed.

Completed my Chemical Engineering degree 21 years ago and have worked in tissue/towel manufacturing since. I’m planning on retiring in 10 more years, life’s too short to make money for other people.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. burbanite

burbanite

Track support engineer for Honda Performance Development, the US racing division of Honda. We design and manufacture Indycar and Sportscar engines and I look after them at the race track for our customers. I'm writing this from Daytona Speedway with 4 hours and 22 minutes to go in the Rolex 24 Hour Race. I have worked in racing all of my life; F3, F2, F1, Indycar, Sportscar to name a few. I was the winning crew chief at the Indy 500 in 2000 and have more than 20 championships under my belt.

17. Been sitting at a desk at the local county that I live in for 23 years (before that designer/draftsman in the private sector)...been also a part time retail worker since 1978 (Home Depot for 20 plus years)....always had 2 jobs well at least since 1981...
    At the end of 2022 I plan to do something different...
    MikeC

18. Started work at headlamp manufacture plant as a maintenance tech for 10 years , worked second shift on day shift I worked as a diesel mechanic at a local truck garage . Then I started at a Chevy dealer as a mechanic , then a body and paint tech and unto a service manager at same dealership . after 25 years started my own auto repair and state inspection station . Retired at 78 years old and enjoying my retirement ! I figure with my jobs in hi-school years I've worked over 60 years . Photo of my last day of work taking my inspection sign down .

Attached Files:

19. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Watching the Rolex 24 right now.

41 GMC K-18 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

21. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Retired now, but this is what I played with: 44525052_1908137362610174_8097850971897462784_o.jpg 11082341_804805182943403_2083143237267945976_o.jpg 14568075_1132660056824579_5051664909334426667_n.jpg

22. Lil32

Lil32

worked 30 years in Banking,took early retirement at 47y/o
    got bored after 6 months,found a job at airport as Senior Transport Exec
    for car rental business,covid hit travel industry,company business dropped 65%
    they had to reduce staff from 130 to 70.Put my hand up and after 25 years took a
    retirement payout at 72 Y/o. have been travelling to USA for years now but with
    the virus around may not be able to leave Aussie till 2023/24.sure miss USA and car scene
    have toured through 13 US States.Usually drive about 4000 miles each trip
    IMG_3994.JPG

23. Deuces

Deuces

Hemiman 426 likes this.
  24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve seen a friends ring from the early 60’s when he was the crew chief using a Offy. How about a photo of yours?

25. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

26. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Man, I must need new glasses. I thought you were in Bangkok for 30 years.

27. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

41598603_1860525064038071_1344738304574095360_o.jpg 44416538_1908142695942974_2631537719368482816_o.jpg IMG-20160616-01056.jpg 44328579_1908142019276375_1836563118537310208_o.jpg

28. My dad ate light bulbs. One night i was walking down the hallway and i overheard him tell mom, turn that light out and I'll eat it o_O

29. Motorcycle mechanic, then Dodge- Chrysler mechanic, a hitch in the Navy, cabinetry, yacht carpentry, marina management, yacht broker, and finally semi-retired USCG 100 ton Master Captain...
    Not to mention still playing guitar, baritone ukulele and harmonica in a band.

30. perk03

perk03
    from VA

I have worked for a beverage container manufacturing company ( beer & soda cans) for the last 45 years. I started at an entry level position in 1976 as a machine operator with a high school education and currently have a position as a process superintendent. I have worked at three different facilities in three different states (Ohio, Florida and now VA). I have always been around cars and car people and have great memories that I will always cherish. I'm not sure how many more years I will work before retiring all I know is every time I go on vacation I have a helluva time going back to work. I love reading The HAMB and everyone who posts pics and info on it. THANK YOU!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.