Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 324 block deck freeze plugs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by keith27T, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Not an olds guy but have 2 plugs one with a hole and one with just a plug. IMG_2021.JPG Also one hole with two spikes on the side of the hole. What do you do with these? IMG_2019.JPG IMG_2020.JPG
    A friend gave me a block heads and a crank. Block checked out okay and now piecing together this 324.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  2. Wrench97

Wrench97

That is a restrictor, I've seen them in other engines used to limit the flow so other areas are not deprived of water flow.
    The "2 spikes" would be to ensure the plug does not drop down into the block, the head or head gasket would prevent movement the other way.
    There may be a GM bulletin on them or info in the service manual as to why and where they should be.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Plugs in your photos are correct,
    no other plugs should be in block

PXL_20210131_001959476.jpg

4. The ones with the spikes didn’t have plugs.
    Should they?

loudbang likes this.

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

They do not
    See the photo from shop manual, all arrowed passages need to be open without plugs like in your photos

bchctybob, mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.
  6. Thanks Paul

loudbang and Paul like this.
  7. Keith while we are looking at pics it would be a good time to point out the oil galley plugs in the front of the block near the timing chain. One has a small hole for oiling the chain. Often overlooked, just thought I would mention it for clarity. Could save you a lot of aggravation later on:rolleyes:
    olds block pic.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  8. Thanks, yes I did take those out before I got it tanked.
    Got an extra motor to, but the block has a big chunk blown out of it, so I got all the parts of of it. Been checking out other posts on the hamb. Lots of info on these motors, but didn't see anything on the frost plugs. The cracked block had been rebuilt, but the plugs in the pictures where not in it. Someone must have takin them out and not replaced them. Are they necessary? Can you get the ones with the holes in them?

9. The cooling plugs referenced by Paul would be necessary in my opinion. Machine shops should have them or can source them.

10. Wrench97

Wrench97

I am not a expert on these motors but be careful that there were not any later updates not in the manual as to location, size or removal all together. Too many times do I see service data in the original manual contradicted by later bulletins.
    Does anyone know of a source for old GM service bulletins?