Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

I believe thr light is off of a '48 Buick.
    Tom

2. A buddy of mine had a 39 Buick with a decklid light similar to yours...

chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  3. Too cool that the light is off a Russian car. On a related note, I have always been tempted to build something based off an old Russian car since I have a son from there. But, so far, I haven’t come across much cool either...other than maybe an old bike.

J.Ukrop, loudbang and pprather like this.
  4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Count me as another vote to keep the banger! Especially the gopher motor. Everyone and their dog has a flathead in their A.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@dumprat im really warming to the 4 bangers as well. By the time you hop one up it’s as much power as a flat 8 and there’s a huge variety of go fast parts that were produced for them.

I’d probably use an AA truck bellhousing and pedals and put a T5 in it to make best use of what powers there is but I’m sure a 39 Ford would work just fine as well.

Don’t think I’ll be trading my 394 for a banger any time soon though so I get wanting to do the 8 lol

chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  6. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! That has been my goal for just about every project I take on. When it's finished, I'm hoping it'll look like it's been together for at least 60 years—if not longer. I'm excited to check my mailbox in the coming weeks.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the book and I'm looking forward to following your roadster and shoebox projects!

Thank you! That means a lot. I know the 'banger is going to be a ton of fun, but the ultimate goal is to drive this machine across the country—but that's a long ways off. This setup is going to be a blast around town. I've been enjoying your T build and all the detail work that's gone into it. I'd love to see more of the story telling on it too!

Very similar indeed!

Thank you! I have never seen one of these on a hot rod, so I think it'll work out well. I feel like the Gaz would make a pretty neat mild custom. Maybe slammed with narrow whitewalls and Astros?

Don't worry, the 'banger is sticking around for the time being. I'm excited to get this thing to stage 1.5 with the speed equipment!

For how much I've driven them, I really like the fours. I love old speed equipment in any capacity, so souped up bangers, flatheads and overheads all sound good to me!

7. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I was out of town this weekend, but I did manage to do some hot rod homework. What did that entail? Making phone calls.

First, I reached out to the previous owner of the body to see where exactly the top came from. He said it was off an old Model A roadster (hot rod?) that he bought in Sacramento more than 30 years ago. No more details were given.

Next, I called the previous owner of the chassis to ask if he saved the phone number of the guy he bought it from. Why? I wanted to get a little bit more history on it—more specifically if anything was done to the bottom end of the engine. "No, no," he told me. "He's long gone." I thanked him for his time and that was that.

Finally, I chatted a little with E—the man with the Gopher Motor. He's looking to sell his Model A speedster chassis with a fully rebuilt 'banger, new tires and a bunch of other quality stuff for a really good deal. I don't have any photos of it, but I can get some if anyone is interested. Send me a PM if you're looking to build a 'banger-powered hot rod on the cheap.

I also talked to Yama and he says he'll have the next installment of our Mazi Moto adventures edited soon. Once it's finished, I'll add it to this thread.

Other than that, I think I'll have a few odds and ends waiting for me when I get back into town. Some of the brake parts were on backorder, so I'm going to try to check some other small things off the list as I wait for those to come in.

Since I don't really have any pertinent pictures, here's one that I recently added to the "inspiration" folder. I usually don't go for splash aprons, but I think this car is just about perfect. Does anyone know who built it? IMG_20170913_140008056.jpg

8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I had to clean snow from the satellite dish to get on the net and retrieve your address. I'm about to brave the blizzard and risk my life to mail you part, the lonely Model A piece amongst piles of two generations of Chevy banger parts. :rolleyes: I also had to check your thread while I was here.
    Maybe you should check the Russian light for bugs. Putin may be listening to everything being said in your shop stealing your intellectual property and hot rod secrets. :eek:

Outback, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  9. BirchRidge

BirchRidge
    from sweden

I think it’s built by a guy named Chuck Hockenberry.. abanger31 on Instagram, don’t know if he’s on here

10. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

That is right! I have met Chuck a couple of times. I believe this picture was taken in Colorado at The Hot Rod Hill Climb!

Stogy, J.Ukrop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Here is another picture of that roadster next to mine at the hill climb in 2016. Sorry it’s not a better picture.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Dannerr, Stogy, barrnone50 and 6 others like this.
  12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It's in the mail and you should get it Thursday. The storm wasn't as big in the valley as it was here. 1/2 mile down the mountain ant the road was mostly clear. In fact there was so little challenge coming home I stoped by the bar and became challenged. o_O
    You are not obligated to use it if doesn't fit the pan.

13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

You're too good to me. Don't worry, the light was gutted sometime in the past 60 years, so no proprietary information will be divulged. If he was listening to the noises in my garage, I wonder what he would think of my custom mixtapes?

I just got back from Truckee and, as I'm sure you know, it was getting pretty snowy out on 80 tonight. Regardless of fitment, I'm excited!

Nice! Wow, that car has been cool for a long time. It has progressed a ton!

Great shot! I'd love to take my roadster to the Hill Climb once the world becomes a little more normal.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm back in San Francisco! When I walked up my front stairs, I was greeted by a pile of packages (some of which I'll talk about tomorrow). That being said, I want to share with you the latest installment of the roadster project doc series, which was shot and edited by my friend Yama for his YouTube channel.

This latest video tells the full story of my "Gopher Motor," the mysterious E and a whole lot more. You can check it out below:

The video is a neat recap of a very memorable day. I can't wait to see where the rest of the project takes me.

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Great video update. I enjoyed seeing how respectful you were, how excited he was to have you
    Guys over and seeing the infamous “stare at the project and get my brain to talk the rest of me out of bringing this home” look haha.

looking good man

rpm56, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  16. RodStRace

RodStRace

That speedster would be a great start for your friend. I'm sure he's got the shop, home life and everything else blocking another project, but if he is seriously offing the Tacoma, that looks like a 'banger' of a build. Since he's got an early van too, I could see him doing a sedan delivery version.

[​IMG]

or just keep the cowl and floor, add a single driver seat and a bit of sheetmetal , then have the passenger side be able to load a bike. An old school mixed up version of the Roth megacycle

[​IMG]

Outback, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  17. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you. We had a ton of fun that day. I'm hoping to work with E on a future article about some of his photo collection from the '40s/'50s.

I love it. I'll try to convince Yama to make it happen! We have to finish his Shovelhead chopper first.

18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_2838.jpg
    Lots of great stuff coming through the door! This is a mix of thoughtful Christmas gifts, items for future articles and tools for the roadster. The Jardine Headers sedan logo has long been a favorite of mine, and the hat ties back to 1993—the year I was born. You may very well find those Kodachrome slides in a future issue of The Rodder's Journal.

As for the roadster, I'll be breaking out the tubing cutter for the fuel lines. And what about the tub of Lubriplate? That'll be for all the moving brake components. I'm still waiting for some of the backordered brake parts. They should be here soon!

19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Great video! Man, I thought I had a bunch of stuff! What an eclectic collection. Such a span of interests and the skills to handle each one. Thanks for sharing. Glad to see he has family that share his interests.

100_2007.JPG

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Dannerr, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  20. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

BBKr5KR.jpeg BBKdvg8.jpeg BBKrara.jpeg BBKri7F.jpeg
    Joey,
    Here's some more pics of this roadster at the 2012 Autorama.
    The last pic shows it sitting next to Troy Hastings roadster of Rooster's Rodz of Broomfield CO.
    He puts on Burnin Rubber Through History, associated with the Denver Timing Assoc.
    He could possibly have info on the owner/builder too.
    http://www.roostersrodz.com/intro

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Very cool group of cars and display! I was able to check out the build on Instagram as well. A great machine for sure. Believe it or not, it's now running a 4-71-blown Cad!

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Joe Blow like this.
  22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Right before lunch, the doorbell rang. It was the postman, and he had dropped off a large, padded envelope addressed to me. I thanked him, scooped it up and carried it back to the kitchen. "Ah," I said. "It's from @Six Ball!" I grabbed some scissors and cut the package open. It didn't take long to see that it was an old Model A valve cover. Then, I flipped it over and my jaw dropped. "Nooooo wayyyy!"
    IMG_2860.jpg
    I'm still processing this. I can't believe that I now have an early CRAGAR cover for my car. I can't even imagine the places this has been. This is one of the most generous gifts I've ever received, and I can't wait to bolt it on once I start hopping up the engine. (It's looking like that process will start in February).
    IMG_2863.jpg
    I never dreamed I would have anything like this to put on this car. With the intake, carb, header, custom linkages and now this cover, I'm thinking that I might keep the hood off for awhile. Vintage Hoss-Power! 12112409_10206990937803323_8823887417340482058_n.jpg

23. That is WAY cool!!!

Stogy, J.Ukrop and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It is where it belongs. I got it thinking I could adapt it to the Chevy 4 I'm building for my '26 Chevy but I would have to butcher it to clear the distributer. Couldn't do that. Your smile is priceless!

The first one of those I remember seeing was in a garage in Walnut Creek or Pleasant Hill. Mal Staley was selling A parts out of his garage. A good friend in high school had a '29 pickup and we bought, sold, and traded parts with Mal. He never asked where we got so many parts. Most of it came off of old ranches and orchards around Concord and Clayton. Most of what I sold him helped finance the 303 Olds in my '38 coupe. The side cover in his shop was on a green engine with a Cragar overhead valve head, 2 twos, headers, and a Magneto on the outside. I have no idea what was on the inside. Years later he opened a big place between Pacheco and Martinez. I was only there once just to look around.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  25. guitarguy

guitarguy

@J.Ukrop That is an amazing piece of history! The hot rod community has done you well. And like alot of builds, the pieces and generosity continue to fall into place. We all can't do it alone, the community is far reaching, the adventures are priceless.

@Six Ball People like you make this hobby amazing for alot of us. You are top notch. Thank You.

26. RodStRace

RodStRace

27. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! I'm considering polishing it up a tiny bit, but I'll make that call once it's on the engine.

So so cool. Like I said before, I don't think I've ever seen one of these in person. It's a real treasure that I plan to keep forever. As I was organizing the garage tonight, I realized that I already had a fresh valve cover gasket in stock. It was meant to be. Thank you again.

Every single day I am amazed by the generosity of everyone on the H.A.M.B. This truly is an incredible community we are in. Long live traditional hot rodding!

Oh wow. That is some high-level stuff. Last fall I drove a car with a Riley OHV conversion and it was extremely cool. I'm going to be happy just to safely hit the street with my mild hop ups!
    FCA154F8-CA88-44A7-ACDF-ED8E77828605.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

28. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

No major updates tonight. Brake parts are en route, as are the internal pieces of the taillight. I was finally able to carve out the aluminum trans cover before it go too late to use power tools. I'll be bending in Yama's sheetmetal brake tomorrow.

I also removed the windshield frame so I can start creating my template for the glass over the weekend. I have a discount at Eckler's and I found a local glass shop (recommended to me by an industry friend) that can trim it down for $35.

With the top and the windshield frame off, I figured I would try to address the oversized hole in the top connection point for the passenger side stanchion. In a perfect world, I would simply weld it shut, re-drill and tap. Well, since it's at least 15 miles to the nearest place I could weld it, I figured I would try the same thing with solder. That obviously didn't work! I'm just going to leave it be for now. Interesting to note that out of the whole car, this area is just about the roughest. Don't worry, I'll address it once I get everything mechanically sorted out.
    IMG_2886.jpg
    Little by little, things are taking shape.

Dannerr, Outback, tb33anda3rd and 9 others like this.
  29. missysdad1

missysdad1

HeliCoils are your friend.

helicoil.jpg

30. Your local glass guy should be able to cut flat sheet safety glass for that windshield.

I had my A windshield done by my local shop after I had an encounter with a Canada Goose.