Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Thermostat and thermal switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Departed, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

Hi gang,
    Running a flathead in my 40 Ford and I'm going with an electric fan. Wondering what thermal switch to use and where to install it. (Radiator lower/top hose, head..etc) also I'm running 180° thermostats on the engine. So what temp switch should I use?
    Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

4. temp.jpg I have used a 12volt electronic heater controller, and soldered a small tube to the header tank to fit the sensor into, with heat transfer paste. A bypass switch or similar is also handy in case the controller dies.
    View attachment 4955297

5. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

What's the pros and cons of using the radiator over the engine for the thermal switch ?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. As long as you are sensing the return coolant temperature, it doesn't really matter. I checked the temps with a infra-red thermometer, and there was not much difference between the thermostat housing surface and the radiator tank surface. One less wire going to the engine.

Departed likes this.
  7. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

8. BJR

BJR

Why not use an engine driven fan, they have worked for almost 90 years on flatheads.

9. Budget36

Budget36

Space, parts availability, time, etc. I put a different style in my ‘42 PU , the 221 I used had a fan on a hub that was too high and would not have a chance of clearing the radiator hoses. I guess I could have done the search, buy, wait thing. But stuck a electric fan on it because I had one, and truck was drivable in a day.
    Kinda like using a modern rear under your car instead of looking for what was available 40 years ago

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's funny!

Departed and firstinsteele like this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, and I have a 180 thermo switch on my electric fan in my flathead powered roadster. I installed it in the bottom of the radiator and have driven it for a couple of years and never once overheated.

12. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

I had heating issues in town. Stopping at every red lights and idling along just didn't get the air flowing enough. Never had a heating issue since I put the electric fan on.

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  13. SPEC

SPEC

The fan switch has to be 15 degree higher than the thermostat to cycle property.

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are your pumps moving coolant at idle? That usually the problem when stuck in traffic…