Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dubious description?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Jan 26, 2021.

1. This just listed in the classifieds as a '37 Ford Coupe by a Newbie (9 days here). Obviously it's a Sedan. Maybe I'm being too suspicious, but this just reminds me of the consignment dealers who advertise cars and have no clue as to what they are. Hope it's all legitimate and I'm just being paranoid. 6983FD3D-82BB-4C37-B595-83FEDF153C1D.jpeg

2. Well it is a two door.
    At least he didn’t call it a hard top convertable or some silliness.

either an estate sale car
    Consignment Weiner
    Or truly a newbie

Joe Blow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. 58prostreet

58prostreet

I'm a little suspicious of of some of the for sale adds that give you pictures of everything but a profile of the car. Especially if the car is outside or in an open space.

4. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Again, there is so much scamming going on that everything from a newbie should be suspect. Just to be on the safe side. Err on the side of caution?

5. I'm with you Don, something don't smell right.

No information, no intro and the guy post trying to sell two cars. be very careful. HRP

6. Many of the unwashed masses call anything with 2 doors a coupe and sedans have 4 doors...
    Chappy

dan c, Hnstray, 210superair and 8 others like this.
  7. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

How many times did I go look at a 55 to 57 wagon after being advertise or told that it is a Nomad.

8. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll bet that they all had Corvette engines too.;)

9. oldolds

oldolds

I dislike the fact he really says nothing about the cars he is selling. His location is odd also. Cool California

VANDENPLAS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

This.

VANDENPLAS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. He posted it at 1 am, which is suspicious, but what is not suspicious is his profile information, says he's a Model T guy, and 66 years old. Might just be a non-tech savvy model T guy who is trying to get rid of some late models. Who knows, I'd talk to him on the phone if really interested, then have someone close to him go look at them.

One more thing, just googled it... Cool, California is a real place. We have a Cool, Texas not too far from me.

12. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Watermarks on the pics of the 33 Chevy in his other ad. I'd say both ads are sketchy, to say the least, Don.

13. The car in my avatar was listed as a coupe rather than a tudor when I was looking to buy. It was listed by the family of the man that had owned it and passed away. They really didn't know that much about cars and it was an honest mistake.

Caution is always important when buying these days. There are so many scammers out there and it can be tough to weed them all out. I don't really see the time of day it was posted as suspicious, but I'm a bit of a night owl and could be guilty of late night posting myself. :)

14. 80% of the 'coupes' I see advertised online are sedans. People not into old cars are just ignorant.

lippy, 210superair, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  15. TCATTC

TCATTC

They refer to my Coupe and Sedan as a "Roadster"

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

17. ........Yeah, I'm not really interested, just thought it a bit strange. Most car guys wouldn't likely make that same mistake.

hotrodjack33 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't usually check the classifieds...but a few adds below the '37, is a 40K '37 Sedan delivery project :eek: Somebody is a "dreamer"
    (..compared to a few adds farther down, the beautiful '36 Coupe for a very reasonable 40K)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    lothiandon1940 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  19. ...Sadly, you'll find quite a few of those "dreamers" there.

20. oldolds

oldolds

lothiandon1940 and Moriarity like this.
  21. Ice man

Ice man

I love the ones that have a 5 window Model A coupe for sale. Daaa.

22. I wonder if someone from Intercourse Pa. ever screwed a car buyer over with a scam ad. ;)

BJR, loudbang, Budget36 and 7 others like this.
  23. Probably, I know a guy that got hosed by a man from Pee Pee, Ohio. (Look it up, it's a real place) HRP

24. Cool, Ca is not far from where I live. It doesn't necessarily live up to its name.

25. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

It's a car. A yellow car. A yellow car with a radio....

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

A member here, Joe Cool(HAMB name) was from Pacific Junction Iowa but was flooded out. The Missouri River went over it`s banks. 80 miles long and 4 - 10 miles wide for about 6 months. P J is 3 miles from the river and he had water up to his rain gutters.

27. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a couple miles east of the South Dakota/Minnesota border, south of Grand Forks, ND lies the small town of Climax, MN. 32 miles east of Climax, via Highway 75 and County Road #1 is the town of Fertile, MN. Years ago a train passing through Climax struck and killed a woman from Fertile.

The headline in the newspaper?
    Fertile woman dies in Climax.
    Look it up, it really happened.

28. What have I started?!:rolleyes:

Desoto291Hemi, warbird1, BJR and 13 others like this.
  29. I heard that the Engineer did prison time for that event but is now living in Parole Md.