Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical door mirrors

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by nunattax, Jan 22, 2021.

1. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

who makes the best,stainless and convex glass.something you can see out of .!

2. I haven't seen any 'traditional' mirrors with a convex lens, as to the rest it depends on what car you're working with...

kadillackid and bchctybob like this.
  3. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I like the Hagan mirrors....high quality.

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the So-Cals have the best swoopyness.

mirror1.jpg

NAPA has convex stick on mirrors so you can actually see out of them.

mirror2.jpg

-Abone.

5. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say pick a mirror style you like and add a Auto Zone "stick-on" 4" or 5" convex mirror. I used one on my pass. side 4" peep mirror and it pretty much solved the dreaded "Sedan Delivery blind spot" issue.
    100_1699.JPG

gsnort, Budget36, nunattax and 2 others like this.
  6. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It depends on what car it is going on.
    I use an entirely different style mirror on my 38 Chevy (I use a clamp on the door style there) and on the Stude I use a repro 55 Chevy mirror that I found out after I had purchased that I could have gotten one with the convex configuration.

nunattax likes this.
  7. TCATTC

TCATTC

^^ What he said ^^

nunattax likes this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^What they said. Not cheap but nothing good is. I bought them for my truck.
    upload_2021-1-25_12-5-16.png

9. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Yep, for my '54 3100 truck, that is exactly what I did, and on both sides. Makes a huge difference in the safety factor.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  10. 36stevens.jpg
    These are Bob Drakes Reproduction.. there OK.. can't see crap but it makes it legal

gsnort likes this.
  11. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Totally agree. pan9.jpg I used them on my Panel too...both sides:D

gsnort, Bob Lowry and nunattax like this.
  12. I bought a set of these about 6-7 years ago and they've held up very well.

49-54 Chevy Swan Neck Mirrors 80-373585-1 | eBay

The chrome die-cast arm still looks as good as new and my car does get rained on. I got mine from a 'generic' eBay seller (not Ecklers), Bob Drake wanted $100 a pair for virtually the identical item at the time, I paid under $30 for the pair including shipping. Those sellers apparently no longer exist, everyone wants $50 or more per pair these days.

These replaced the cowl-mount mirrors as shown in my avatar pic. Those were worthless; the driver's side was marginal at best for seeing behind you, you couldn't even see the passenger side from inside the car so it was purely decorative. I bought this particular type replacement for two reasons. One, because many pre-49 cars have considerable body taper front-to-rear with the rear wider, a minimum 5" stem can be needed to get the mirror out far enough to see past the rear body clearly. Not a big problem on pre-'41 coupes, can be on later ones and many sedans, both early and later. Two, the two-stud mount prevents the mirror from rotating if bumped. I had a pair of single-stud mirrors on another car, never again.

I also considered clip-ons, but my door fit precluded those, not enough door gap.

nunattax likes this.
  13. [​IMG]
    Nothing on the market worked for seeing out the passenger side for my Model A cabriolet, so I ended up making masters in wood and had them cast in brass.
    Probably the last resort solution for most situations, but feasible if nothing else works.
    [​IMG]

gsnort, Bandit Billy and nunattax like this.
  14. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put Avanti mirrors on my 36 with stick on convex,but not for everyone 20200930_162758.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

gsnort and nunattax like this.
  15. goldmountain

goldmountain

I saw these real ice looking mirrors on a Model A coupe and asked the owner what they were from. He told me they came from a Vega. Went and picked up mine at the wreckers. Sadly, now Vegas are hard to find anymore.

nunattax likes this.
  16. Canuck

Canuck

Wide Angle Mirror Heads, From Vintique: upload_2021-1-25_20-29-27.png
    When I asked about them to use on my Model A repro hinge mount mirrors, this is the reply I got: upload_2021-1-25_20-27-26.png

Attached Files:

nunattax likes this.
  17. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Hagan also makes a fine glue on convex replacement glass in a variety of sizes.I used one right over the existing glass on the passenger mirror. It’s barely noticeable and eliminates the blind spot. 100% satisfied.:)

fordflambe and nunattax like this.