Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest HAMBers you would enjoy meeting in person.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Nov 29, 2020.

1. I've met many HAMBers over the 20 years on here. Best way to meet is at the big gatherings. Also some of the smaller localized events that are for traditional rods. Probably around 200 or more that I have met.

So many of the old HAMB members don't post much anymore.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Yep, Ryan and Jeff Norwell. I've had the pleasure of meeting 3 or 4 Oklahoma guys from the Hamb and a few locals from Amarillo. I often wonder how many times I've walked past people at shows I would have liked to talk to if I knew who they were.
    One time, I knew Joe/Okiedokie was going to be at a Goodguys show I was at with his 40 black coupe. We hadn't met yet. As I walked around, I saw a black coupe with OK plates. I went up and asked the guy if that was his car. Yep. I then asked if he was Okiedokie. I got the strangest look that only got worse when I followed up with "on the Hamb?" He had no clue what the hell I was talking about. It wasn't Joe.

41 GMC K-18, Lil32, Roothawg and 4 others like this.
  3. Oldb

Oldb

Squirrel and Mr48Chevy. I think I could learn a lot hanging around a garage with them.

B

4. Geez, How could I forget @JeffNorwell ! ...His artistic talents and car building skills are outstanding. If you've never visited his website, check it out, and buy some art work. Your walls will appreciate it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    hrm2k, lothianwilly71, Lil32 and 5 others like this.
  5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Moose!!
    That guy spends his whole life giving of himself.
    Quite a positive force in this group of misfits.

Lil32, Tony Martino, raymay and 12 others like this.
  6. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Generally 99% of the folks on this board get along like pancakes and waffles. I've met some of my best friends on here and some of the folks on this site have had a profound impact on my life. I encourage you guys to seek each other out and meet the person behind the curtain, you never know it may change your life too :)

7. Was Frostbike where we met or the HAMB drags? Just the fact two of us were at a bicycle trade show talking cars is a hoot.

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Oh my god... I'm pretty sure it was Frostbike? I remember meeting you and getting a bloody nose from the freekin cold... :p

9. Yeh, we were debuting Strider Bikes to the dealers that weekend. I took Steve Flagg out hard in a game of broomball behind his house. Prob not the best thing to do to the CEO that invited you there

10. Scrubline

Scrubline

Porknbeaner is the character I would like to meet, he could have his own show!

11. Crafty B

Littleman

Plowboy

bobbleed

12. By that , you mean, his wifes sewing room! hahaha

chryslerfan55 and Special Ed like this.
  13. Every year at the GNRS, we would put together a HAMB gathering in front of the Suede Palace. I would do a roll call, and write down who was there and have all of them sign the HAMB banner. Even got Ryan to sign one year. At least 50-60 members...

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'd just like to thank all you wonderful guys for posting on and belonging to, the HAMB.
    This is a hangout (HAMBOUT?) for me, always something going on, it's true.
    Love the builds, and happy to lend some advice or recognize some part for someone, really makes my day.
    Took my F100 out last month, went to Denny's restaurant to join some other gearheads...
    A 'nerd' walked up, said the '55 could use "a fresh coat of primer". Might have been right...

41 GMC K-18, bowie, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It’s only got one episode a year but for legal reasons is seldom aired publicly. It’s filmed in front of a live parking lot audience in Missouri in August.

41 GMC K-18, das858, Tman and 8 others like this.
  16. Tim, ya forgot the part about not leaving @porkandbeaner alone for any extended period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. .............So true.:)

18. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Any of you HAMBers. But especially Marty Strode, squirrel, and Pete Eastwood. I am amazed at the creativity and skill all of you people have. And I bet the stories with a beer or 2 would be riotous.

Probably should keep a lawyers number handy tho, just in case...

19. I know that I've said that I would like to meet all of you, but for some strange reason I'd REALLY like to meet Beaner. Maybe because he's SORTA down to earth, a seasoned saddle jockey, and a REAL REAL smart ass. Kinda guy I can relate to......Mitch.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  20. If you do meet him just remember, never leave him alone for any length of time. He’s shifty that way.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. I would like to meet my younger self and tell me to buy stock in Facebook.............then I can buy more cars/parts/tools today.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

As the crazy, confused year has come and gone, we are thankful for the safety and health of our immediate and extended family. But, for the rest of the folks out there, talking via a forum thread with memories gone past over the years is a highlight one cannot forget. There is so much “listen to” and understand, from all walks of life.

Thinking back to those early times brings back good memories, like meeting a little kid whose dad is/was famous in the hot rod world in Santa Barbara. Now, he is grown up, has a family and is world famous in his own right. But on the HAMB side, meeting another kid (back in the late 50s early 60s)racing the daylights out of his competition was something back in those days.

Dean Lowe was a terror in the quarter midget races locally in So Cal. Our dad took us to see him compete against my dad’s friend’s son. It was like watching two adults going neck and neck in the Indianapolis 500, except that it was ¼ the size. My brother and I wanted to race, but were too late in getting involved. We continued going to several championship events with envy.

Now, meeting the adult version of Dean Lowe would be pretty great, coming around in a full circle from those nights at the ¼ midget tracks, many years ago.

There are several guys that would be a great introduction and conversation as knowledge can be picked up from anyone. But as knowledgeable friends, it is a better version, this time around. Growing up in So Cal cruising circles, hot rod runs/shows, drag racing weekly for approximately 200 Saturdays, gives one a wide variety of experiences to ponder. @296ardun grew up in So Cal as did @Jimmysix. They grew up and experienced many of the things from So Cal being just a few miles away. So, as adults, the memories are still there and would be fun to hear in person. As far as Jimmysix is concerned, when we used to go to the donut events on Saturday morning way back then, we probably wandered by each other without even knowing it.

Finally, a guy the I met on the HAMB exchanges and via email will be missed. Even though we missed each other at Lion’s Dragstrip almost in the same Gas Coupe and Sedan Class, it would have been something. Our experiences with drag racing, building stuff for hot rods and motorcycles, racing desert style motorcycles in the exact same spot near El Mirage comes to mind.

We probably were in the same time period race event gatherings in the desert Hare and Hound Race Pits, but never knew it. He even had the same “Blooie Pipe” motorcycle. Don Nowell was a designer, meticulous builder and had some great ideas in general. Sorry to have him gone, now, but it would have been something.

The final person that would have been something to meet and talk in person was Don Montgomery. We had some contact and the discussions were good. He is a wealth of knowledge. Not only was his hot rod knowledge base outstanding, but the 32 Ford coupe he raced, then the Willys Coupe that we all came to know were two pretty outstanding builds. So, hanging around him for a while would have increased a wealth of history and knowledge. He will be/is missed.

Jnaki

Meeting anyone in this time of the dangerous pandemic is not going to happen. We see our granddaughter on special occasions with masks and 20 ft social distance. We can’t wait for this pandemic to get over so we can both give her a huge lifetime hug, like we used to do during her pre teenage years. So that is the first thing in order. So, other things will take their place on the waiting list this year. It took a while for the 1968 world wide virus to settle down and make everything back to some normalcy. It is still around these days as the common flu strain that hits some people.

But, perhaps, when this is over, a chance meeting will occur with some people here on the HAMB, despite the distances. We still have relatives in OKC and other parts of the Midwest that we haven’t seen since 2012. So, an actual cross county road trip and cross country meetings in the future might be the next thing that might happen. MIGHT…

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  23. 296ardun

296ardun

Thank you! I would love to meet you too, the stories we could tell!...I did know Don Montgomery in my early years at Blair's, and we kept in touch until his health failed...it was a real loss for me, as was Don Blair's death. I did not know that Don Nowell had passed. We were in touch on a regular basis, after my watching him compete at San Fernando....I am looking forward to the day when we can safely travel again.

24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Don Nowell was a very talented, nice guy !

25. 296ardun

296ardun

hot rods, gliders, airplanes...and an all-around nice person.

26. jnaki

jnaki

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/friday-art-show-12-4-20.1213538/#post-13844023

upload_2021-1-23_4-29-40.png

Hello,
    Here is one of the design pages Don Nowell drew and allowed me access to the file. It was an impressive, pure detailed, industrial drawing. It was the basis for a chance Friday Art Design experience, a month ago.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks, Don

[​IMG] Perhaps a 671 Potvin style set up for the unusual hot rod scene in So Cal ?

Jnaki
    upload_2021-1-23_4-28-26.png
    So Cal Gas Coupe and Sedan Class 1960s... No "up in the air" gas coupe, just a pure power street legal gas coupe.

27. trollst

trollst

I'd like to meet as many of you next year on the salt as can make it, we're a pretty cool bunch. I'd like to sit on the bend and shoot the shit all night.

28. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I have my list whittled down to about 50. I can't believe the experience on this site. I have a file of Jeff Norwell's mechanical ideas, Jnaki and his historical memory, 296ardun and his knowledge (I was a huge fan of Blair's in Pasadena), and Texas57, Dean Lowe, and on and on.

29. I am bringing out one of my new teamates to let him see what speedweek is about. Not racing but may bring the car for a prelim tech. We will plan a HAMBbq either at the Bend or the Museum site

Boneyard51, loudbang, trollst and 3 others like this.
  30. I guess nobody wants to meet me! That’s ok. I know too many people already.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.