Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

J.Ukrop - jeez, that reminds me of when I was trying to reinstall the parking brakes on my '65 Chevy C10. Everytime I thought I had all of the parts, cables and guides, I'd find out another piece of the puzzle was missing, took several go arounds and lots of question asking online to get all of the information and parts I needed inside and outside of the drum.

Finally got it done tho', it helps when you have all of the information. :D

But look at it this way, if you have to do it again, you'll know how now.

-Woog

winduptoy, chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  2. modelacrazy

modelacrazy

On the brake issue I noticed a lot of touring A guys are using an aftermarket cast iron brake drum on the mechanical brake systems with much improved performance. It seems the OEM drums can grow as they heat up because they are stamped steel and most likely thin after a few brake jobs and 90 years of service. I think I’m going to put a pair on the front of my project, eventually a rear set too. Worst part of the swap (expense wise) would be swedging new studs. Figured I might mention that, I heard there were like 3 hills in your neck of the woods, lol

chryslerfan55, Six Ball and winduptoy like this.
  3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

model A had the windowed drums,
    '32 did but memory says they were larger than the As and didn't have the re-enforcement ribs that '35's had... i don't know about '33-'34...
    if the A windowed drums are too hard to find, try the later brakes...

chryslerfan55 and Six Ball like this.
  4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That's exactly! I'm gathering as much info as I possibly can to go out there and do it right—even if it takes a few tries.

I gave that a great deal of consideration, but I ended up not taking that route. Instead, I found front drums that were in almost new condition and had reinforcement bands welded on and the drums turned. The bands will help with both strength and cooling.

Yep, we got hills. All kinds of hills. Tall ones. Short ones. Wide ones. Narrow ones. Ones that make you feel like you're on a rollercoaster and others that are so steep that they need to have stairs cut into the side for pedestrian traffic. I love this city, but it's tough on cars. I'm hoping to build mine to be tough enough!

I still sometimes dream of those Rocky Mountains...

5. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_2687.jpg
    My swivel slide links showed up today—plus some great literature. I'm looking forward to setting up the linkage once I get the brakes figured out.

6. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Right before lunch, the doorbell rang. I rushed over, signed and, just like that, I had the next piece of the roadster puzzle.

Even though my build has been following the traditional hot rod formula, I've been working pretty hard to find ways to make it uniquely mine. Just like on choppers, I feel like so much personality lies in the taillight(s). Very early in the build, I bolted a set of old bullet marker lights at the bottom of the rear wheelwells. I didn't plan to keep them on there long. Well, they grew on me, so they're staying. (Except for in the photos below, where I've taken the driver's side light off to install a new bulb).

Initially, I was going to put my Duolamp taillight in the middle and call it a day. I like that look. But the more I thought about it, the more I wanted something to match the era of my bullet markers. I'm excited to say that I found exactly what I was looking for. IMG_2693.jpg Here it is mocked up with magnets.
    IMG_2694.jpg
    From the ribs and the tapered lenses to the old repair and the pitted chrome, I feel like it's the perfect mix of Art Deco and mid-century style.

It's no secret that you guys know a lot more about this type of thing than I do, but I figured it would be fun to set up a little contest. I have a prize for the first person who can tell me what make and model of car this taillight/license plate light came from. Bonus points if you can guess the year. Let's hear it!

7. Just a wild guess. 1938 Desoto.

J.Ukrop and jim snow like this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

^ that’s a solid guess!

J.Ukrop and pprather like this.
  9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

You are going to start a trend or even a new tradition. :cool:

J.Ukrop, winduptoy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. adam401

adam401

The roadster is looking great. I like the new rear light. This is what its all about. Carefully curating a selection of parts and small details. This is what gives a car texture and soul.

11. 345 coupe

345 coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Joey, The chopped and laid back windshield with the canvass top looks really cool. However, inmy opinion, the new rear light and license plate location truly make the roadster yours. Also very cool.

Ron

12. I'm really digging that top

J.Ukrop and winduptoy like this.
  13. Can I take a second wild guess on the taillight?
    How about 1941 Hudson?

Is someone trying to find a photo match on the interwebs?

Lots of questions, no answer yet.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  14. vinny harms

vinny harms

That taillight looks like tiny 59 chevy taillights

Sent from my SM-S111DL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. I spent a half hour already!
    Can't find it yet!
    Went through the usual suspects from Chrysler products and nothing!

16. Chrysler corp used a lot of similar light setups in the late '40's. My money is on Mopar. vintage-1950s-dodge-trunk-opener_1_c2058253dae83c254d3a169d21217f73.jpg

17. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ask @squirrel

J.Ukrop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. JB401

JB401

I dig the plate light! Nothing saying you can’t start new trends. Hod rodding is about using what you have in many cases. My wild guess on the light is going to be 40s or 50s Plymouth

J.Ukrop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! I work pretty hard to carry those same principles across the board, whether I'm setting up the shelves my sunroom or finding the perfect waterslide decal for the oil tank of my chopper. It's all about cohesion.

Thank you! My goal is to save up enough money for top irons by the end of 2021.

Good guess, but not quite...

Doesn't it?! Kinda crazy.

It looks verryyyyy Chrysler, but it's not.

Shades of Mopar for sure. However, it is not.

I have a feeling he will :D

Thank you! This light definitely fit the budget. It would be crazy to see another early Ford with one. I wouldn't be mad!

chryslerfan55 and Six Ball like this.
  20. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Lots of good guesses—I'll give the night shift a shot and then I'll post the answer during lunch tomorrow. No real progress to report, other than getting ready to shop for more parts. There are so many little things that I need to buy, but I'm chalking them up as start-up costs.

When it comes to tools, I try to buy used whenever possible. Garage sales, estate sales, eBay, Facebook Marketplace—you name it. But after seeing David's Eastwood flaring tool, I decided to splurge. With any luck, I have 50 more years of hot rodding ahead of me, so I figure this will be a sound investment to do quality work. Best of all, I got the Alliance discount!
    IMG_2704.jpg
    Additionally, I sketched out my plan for the taillight. I'm a very visual person, and seeing the drawing helps me familiarize myself with the assembly while also creating a parts list.
    IMG_2703.jpg As an aside, I'm working on an interesting Jalopy Journal feature that I'll share on here next week. One of the guys I'm writing about sent me this picture and I figured I'd share it here. Not for my build obviously, but I love the louvered doors.

IMG_2751-1.jpg

Dannerr, Outback, The 39 guy and 6 others like this.
  21. Time is running out. My final wild guess is 1946 Buick?
    Looking forward to the real answer. But, some will want photographic confirmation.

22. Joey,
    You beat me too!
    I'm done looking!!!!

J.Ukrop and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bet we’ll all feel dumb when he tells us.

24. BirchRidge

BirchRidge
    from sweden

I vote for a late 50’s Gaz m21

Outback, pwschuh, HEMI32 and 4 others like this.
  25. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

BirchRidge nailed it! It’s a mid-to-late '50s Gaz M21 Volga decklid light. These cars were built in Russia, and I got this particular piece from Belarus. Although it doesn’t exactly fit the timeframe of the build, it works from a style standpoint—and I can’t wait to wire it up and get it bolted into place.
    [​IMG]
    (Not my photo)

From the factory, the light assembly had an illuminated placard on top. At some point in the past 60 years, a previous owner shaved the placard and riveted a piece of metal in its place. It’s a little bit rough and has plenty of character, which makes it a perfect fit for my car.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dannerr, Outback, The 39 guy and 10 others like this.
  26. Well done BirchRidge.
    I thought your answer was a Russian military truck!

J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  27. Very neat story. Love the piece. I could have guessed forever and would never got it.

28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

"It's all about cohesion." Einstein could not have said it any better! Relativity, it's not just a young guy putting and old car together. It's about the parts and their stories, the place and it's history, the guy and his friends, and the onlookers and their memories.......... cohesion.

I never noticed how few rear views of old cars there are on the internet. :rolleyes:

29. BirchRidge

BirchRidge
    from sweden

They actually were called “tank in an evening dress” up here in Sweden and Finland. And Joey, love the roadster and the way you’re going with it

30. guitarguy

guitarguy

The stories and journeys are so great. And it just goes to show there are some really cool people out there who want to help and be supportive. My build is no different, although I tend to leave alot of the story telling out....maybe I shouldn't.

Joey, you are killing it. I love the build, I'm a banger guy so I will be sad when it goes to a V8---But none the less, the car and the story are captivating, I'll be watching until the end.