Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Need advice, 1963 Chevy Impala 4 door, yes or no

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oldmopars89, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Carlmac 369

Carlmac 369

Plus there is always the sleeper aspect.

Asphalt Angel and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. Sounds like you have a plan and may end up with a cool cruiser.

All this 62 Impala talk just reminded me of one I asked about a few months back that a friend has owned for a long time. I saw the owner (of more than 40 years) just a couple weeks ago at the grocery store and he said he may be ready to sell it since he needs to replace the furnace in his house trailer. This 62 SS was his first car he got when he was 14 but it has been parked outside and not running for at least the last 30 years I know of. I may need to do a little research on what a non-running likely rusty SS is currently bringing to know if a deal is to be had or not. :rolleyes:

3. Depending on price it might be worth buying it for parts.

Long shot but it might have a P case third member. Every now thinks of them as hi-po parts, but a fair number of plane jane cars in area were ordered with posi rears.

4. egads

egads

Never saw anything wrong with a four door.[​IMG]

stanlow69 and richards69impala like this.
  5. Shoot, I’d buy that car in a heartbeat. I love 63 full size Chevies, I have an 11 year old Littletruckdoctor that is going to be a moose just like me. A more door would be easier for him to get in and out of when we go cruising. A two door would be nice, but I can’t afford one right now. A four door is obtainable. A nice, mostly stock Small Block Chevrolet and an automatic so Mamatruckdoctor will drive it, in like flinn. As my Kustom Buddy at work says, Four Doors for More Whores!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Oldmopars89

Oldmopars89

To me its funny you say get the one you want. I don't want a 2 door per say. I just want a cool old classic car to have fun with. The number of doors is not that important. I know I said I could not afford a 2 door, but that was to indicate my budget, not desires. I like 4 doors and would even be interested if it was the 63 post I thought it was. It could only be better if it was a Wagon, I love wagons, but they are also not in the budget.
    I spoke to him and the bookkeeper for the business and they are going to go get the title sorted out. He also knows the prior owner of the car and land and will contact him for the title. Once I hear that that issue is sorted, I will make plans to drive over and get it. It is also just over 500 miles, not the 600 I thought it was. Still a long way and a lot of gas.

7. 500-600 miles is not that far. Take a buddy, rent a U-haul, plan on a few good old fashion road meals, one night in a hotel, and about 20 hours of road time (share driving duties as necessary), conversation and/or sightseeing along the way. Sounds like an adventure to me.

8. Congrats! Sounds like you are getting it worked out. It will be a cool old classic to have fun with like you mention. :cool:

As far as when you start to convert it to the 2 door you really want...just kidding...I wouldn't butcher it up either. :D

egads and Unique Rustorations like this.
  9. Matt55folife

Matt55folife

Well they dont make em no more so go for it! Sounds like a bucket of fun!!! A 4 door just means its easier for your drunk buddies to get in and out the car! Id rock the s#^t outta that thing!

BigDogSS, egads and Baumi like this.
  10. I’d drive the wheels off it.
    Old is old.
    The grey beards hear may not like em, but kids today do.
    Make it go and stop.
    Cut some coils.
    Mexican blankets.
    Maybe paint some candy lace, scalloped.....whatever on the roof.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm late to the party again but would have to say that while we did buy them as parts cars years ago a lot of the only good for parts stigma has gone away from them.
    I'd say that the thing with a 4 door late 50's early 60's car like the 64 impala is to not go overboard spending money. I think the Patina BS is one of the biggest jokes played on car folk but That lets you spend the money and time on the engine, trans, brakes and steering and suspension to have a good running and safe car. Paint can come later and it doesn't have be a high end paint job. Interior = someone might have a same year and model 4 door parts car with a pretty decent interior or at least in a lot better shape to redo.

In the early 70's when I was building my T bucket I mentioned to a coworker that I was looking for a small block V8 Chevy engine for it and he says that he has a 61 Impala that he would sell for 100.00 I go look at it, buy it and when I picked it up and drove it home I stopped at the 7-11 where a friend of mine worked to check for new rod magazines and pick up a six pack. He looks the car over and says that it looks way better than the 59 Chevy 4 door his wife was driving. I pulled the engine out of the Impala the next weekend and over the weekend he shows up with his wife to take a look at the 61. I told her I would give it to her and he and I could put her engine and transmission in it. The next Saturday they show up at early 30 (planned) and two hours later we have the engine out of the 59, have it it pushed out of the way and are pushing the 61 in the garage to set the engine back in. We got it in, buttoned it up and fired it up and backed it out of the garage by about 8 pm and the drove it home and the last time I saw them before we moved back up here she was still driving it. That 59 was so rusted out that I had a hard time giving it away and finally another buddy helped me drag it over to a scrappers house.

lewk, Jim Bouchard, Dan Hay and 6 others like this.
  12. Oldmopars89

Oldmopars89

If I can talk him into it, when my son gets back from Virginia in February I will take him and has son time together.
    The guy I am getting it from has a B&B and will give me a deal. If not, its a small town and Hotels/Motels are really cheap.

13. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

14. I love to burn Diesel to bring another project home! Nothing like a good road trip with a trailer.

15. @Oldmopars89 - food for thought: if you end up keeping your eyes open for interior and/or door panels from another '62 4dr HT, also keep in mind the '61 doors from a 4dr hardtop are the same shape, as are '61/'62 Pontiac 4dr HT's. I don't believe the Pontiac & Chevrolet front seats may bolt up the same, though. I know they don't in the tri-five chev/pontiac years.

Example, while not your scenario, I know a guy who is running '56 Pontiac door panels in his 2dr HT '56 Chevrolet. You have to know chevs to know they aren't the stock door panels. They look like custom door panels in his chev, but they are stock Pontiac door panels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Did I miss something, I though it was a 63 4 door sedan he was fetching? :confused:

17. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

The picture he posted of it was a 62 not a 63

saltflats likes this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thanks, had to go back and catch up what I overlooked.

gotta56forme likes this.
  19. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Good luck with the project!
    ih speedometer.jpg
    You may want to evict that wasp nest in the door jamb while the residents are too cold to object.
    The speedometer hanging from the vent knob is from a '50-'56 International pickup/Travelall - there's an IH parts dealer online asking $341.11 for a used one right now :eek:.

20. squirrel

squirrel

and several on ebay for well under $100....and probably some at swap meets one of these days, for even less.

Chrisbcritter likes this.
  21. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For anyone that loves cars, parting a car out should be a decision weighed heavily. It may not be super cool or super valuable but if it has the potential to return to the road affordably, it is a way that a young dude can enter the hobby on a young dude’s budget, and it’s one more car that might still be around in 50 or 100 years when these cars are even harder to come by. I know that parts cars and parts from parts cars are an important part of the classic car ecosystem but it’s a shame when decent cars are retired forever just because they aren’t as cool as another member of their line.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  22. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

It looks to me like it has the very desirable 1-piece bumpers (aka "California" bumpers), both front and rear. I say go for it!

I'd probably get it running and driving, clean up the exterior. I'd also restore the interior and make nice, because that is what you and the wife will be enjoying most of the time.

And for God's sake, please don't shave the rear door handles --> IMO, no one is fooled and it looks stupid.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  23. Bluestone

Bluestone

Meanwhile in Sweden

Baumi likes this.
  24. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great plan. I think you have a totally cool project ahead of you. I did basically the same thing with a '62 Pontiac about 20 years ago and it was really one of the most fun vehicles I've had. I also agree with what others have said - please keep us updated on your progress both on the trip to get it and when you get it home. Post pics of what you're doing as you get it back on the road.
    Got a story for the moredoor-dissers: when I was in high school a guy I knew had a '62 Olds F-85 4-door. It was a cool little car, but he was so fixated on having a 2-door that he paid a body shop to weld the back doors shut and bondo over the openings before he had it painted. As I recall it might have been a matter of months and the door openings were bubbling and cracking. I think guys like that were the ones who gave the 4-doors a bad name! :D:rolleyes:

25. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

That is a 4 Door Hardtop !
    I would definitely fix this if the car is mostly complete and not all rusted out.
    Go for it.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

26. Generally time is to precious to spend on a four door...

27. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Only if you don't like them, my days of trying to look "cool" to impress other people are long gone.....mordoors are easier to get in and out of and are convenient for grandkids, an extra couple, or a few dogs. Less wear and tear on the front seat also.

28. Time is too precious for me to worry if someone builds something I don’t care for

F-ONE, Baumi and stanlow69 like this.
  29. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I am not biased against the 62 in question here but in my opinion with you willing to travel 600 miles I’m thinking in that travel radius you could probably find many cars that appeal to you. The quest is part of the fun.

Frankie47 likes this.