Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tamco Paint ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nitro crew chief, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Nitro crew chief

Nitro crew chief
    from Illinois

Has anyone here used Tamco paint ? Their web site has good reviews, and their prices are great. I'm just somewhat skeptical, sometimes if something sounds too good to be true, I want to hear from someone who has used it.

2. I have only used their primer/surfacer, but I am happy with it. Will buy again.
    That said I dislike buying paint supplies off the net during winter up here....good chance it could freeze in transit.

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's all I spray now. I have the owner in my contacts. I call her direct or send her a text with my order. They cost about a 1/3 of the big boys.

The only issue I have is that since they are not a main line brand, they have a hard time color matching things they don't have info on. Say I called and wanted paint for a 65 Chevy Impala, more than likely they wouldn't be able to help. I have send them color codes for newer stuff like Toyota Voodoo Blue, which is what we used on the Okie Apache and it was spot on.

Customer service rules. I had an issue I was troubleshooting and Tammy sent me primer to try, while I guessed at the problem.

Just Gary, clem, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  4. Nitro crew chief

Nitro crew chief
    from Illinois

Thanks for the input, I'll give them a try.

loudbang and Bill's Auto Works like this.

5. KenC

KenC

I'll be trying it out soon. Several mentions of Tamco on the 'net and none of them bad. If folks don't say something bad that's saying something. Most like to dis everything and not talk up the good.

clem, loudbang and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  6. Stooge

Stooge

I've been on their website the last few days putting an order together to start the body work on my Buick. I havent used Tamco previously, but from all of the work i have seen done with their products, and from the opinions of people more knowledgeable than myself, it seems like a safe bet that i will be happy with it. Customer service sounds great and following the owner on instagram, she seems pretty committed to a good product and company.

7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Its all I shoot now. Primer, color and clear. cant beat the 5300 series primer for build and sandability. Ive used their custom colors, ive even sent in paint chips to be matched. Cant beat the price.
    Clear has great solids content and UV protection and its crystal clear, not that yellow crap other brands sell.

Tammy is a great resource, i have her cell # and can call or text and have answers almost immediately, even questions about other brands she can usually handle.

Buy with confidence, its a great product and great customer service. If you do facebook join the tamco 411 group, a ton of experienced users and can help with most anything youd need

8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

100% tamco, 5310 primer. Dirtbag brown base, 4100 clear

Attached Files:

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Tamco. As sprayed. No cut and buff.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

The Shift Wizard and loudbang like this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not used their products... but my experience, even limited, is DO NOT mix brands. Stick with one brand especially if your starting in bare metal. After 5 years of a nice job by the previous owner my car bubbling was in places. Went to bare metal and after 5 no evidence of bubbles or anything else.

loudbang likes this.
  12. I have been a member of the "Tamco Family" since I read a recommendation from Gearhead Graphics a couple of years ago! A family run company since the 1970's, prices are very good, better yet the quality of the products is very high. For the last 20+ years before switching to Tamco I used Dupont & years before that PPG. They just don't compare to Tamco. If you ever shoot & sand their 5300 series primers or 2104 high solids clear...You will never buy anything else. Add to that when you call, most of the time you speak to Tammy or another family member (Dad Bob is tech support)

Here is a picture of the 1st car I ever shot with their base coat & high solids clear....I threw most of my other brand stuff away!

IMG_20190607_133253544_HDR (800x450) (2).jpg

God bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

loudbang, Tman, 5window and 6 others like this.
  13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

@Bill's Auto Works glad you came to the dark side, 5300 primers are like crack. just try it once and you wanna keep doing it over and over

14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I just started using their primers and clear. The 770 series primer is extremely thick, and will fill scratches and sand easily. But it takes days to fully cure.
    Euro clear I tried, so far I haven't gotten the stuff down to laying out properly, but all I've done is a few small pieces.

15. TCATTC

TCATTC

You can't go wrong with any Tamco products. I have been using them for a few yrs and get excellent results. I like their primers way better than the "name brand" stuff. Their clears can't be beat.

16. You are right Jeff! I can't get enough of the 5300 series. I greatly appreciate your honest review of their products that lead me to them a couple of years ago!!

Chopolds, A couple of things to consider... if you are not used to a high solids clear like 2104, it can be difficult to get a handle on, but once you do you will never use anything else. It likes a little more air than you are probably used to & a 1.3 tip seems to be the best. Tip sizes & caps can be deceiving though as different guns put out different amounts of product with the same tip & cap, which seems funny but true.

On the 771 high build Epoxy Primer, it definitely is great protection & builds great, but the cure times (like you said) are very long. I have had it plug sandpaper after a couple of weeks. It is actually rated for industrial & underwater applications. Tammy has removed it from the auto section of their company. I would suggest next time using the 661 epoxy which is just as good of an epoxy, but is NOT high build, then go right to the 5300 series primers for your build. It lays down great & sands like butter. a couple of other great things about 5300 series is they are all direct to metal if you should happen to block through your epoxy & you can use it as your lockdown sealer after all your sanding is done by mixing it 4:1:2 (4 primer 1 hardener 2 reducer )

Doing an OT 67 Toro right now. All blocking is done, ready for sealer & color when I get home from this transporting trip!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  17. Since I am getting closer to paint on the Jimmy I signed up for their emails and FB Group. If @Roothawg andothers swear by it I am sold.

18. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

@Tman you wont regret it. As said theres a learning curve on the clear. the FB group and tammy can help you on that. The color covers so well!

Bill's Auto Works and loudbang like this.
  19. Thanks. Before this I was planning on praying basic tractor paint with hardener. Since the price is not far apart I will go this route! Prob use their SS Urethane. This is a daily work truck that will see lots of gravel roads

20. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

@Tman the duraflint single stage is sweet! it goes on pretty rough looking, lots of texture, but flows itself out quite a bit. Ive done a motorcycle and a boat with it. Very happy both times. I never bothered to buff, they were to be used, not shown. had slight texture when i was done. Im shooting in a garage with poor ventilation

21. Looking at their site that product might be perfect for me

22. If used properly and TDS are followed there is no reason different brand products can't be used over one another. In 16 years of looking at failures I have never seen a single case of failure due to anything related to different brands of products being used that wasn't a result of a know product compatibility issue that was ignored by the user. There are products within paint lines that are not compatible as well which will net you the same results if ignored. The "use one brand" thing is pushed by paint companies so that they can insure you are buying all of their products and so they can deny any responsibility when something goes wrong.

23. The neat thing about their single stage is they use their 4100 clear as the binder. This gives the single stage a much deeper shine than other companies SS.
    A very close friend of mine is finishing off this highly customized 40's Caddy. He used Tamco SS black.
    A picture even before he finished buffing!

God Bless
    Bill
    120455159_736374420251496_5129401998114391701_n.jpg

24. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

KI3 said
    "If used properly and TDS are followed there is no reason different brand products can't be used over one another. In 16 years of looking at failures I have never seen a single case of failure due to anything related to different brands of products being used that wasn't a result of a know product compatibility issue that was ignored by the user. There are products within paint lines that are not compatible as well which will net you the same results if ignored. The "use one brand" thing is pushed by paint companies so that they can insure you are buying all of their products and so they can deny any responsibility when something goes wrong."

Can't argue any of your points but would like to add why it is recommended to adhere to a "paint system". It simply takes the guess work or lack of knowledge mistakes out of the equation. How many hobbyists or occasional painters take the time to research compatibility issues? Before I retired I knew all I needed to know but now 20 years later I will rely on the pro behind the counter to steer me right after being out of touch for so long with new trends. The counter man I deal with gets a lot of feedback from the guys doing the spraying. Kind of the same reason I like to hear about everyones experiences here with Tampco products. The piece of mind gained is worth going with their "paint system" for many of us. Not to say I don't mind experimenting with what I have on hand but not the car I just spent two years on that's now ready for paint.

25. Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  26. No it doesn't you still need to make sure products are compatible and used properly. 99% of the problems I see are user error that could have easily been avoided by reading the TDS. The other 1% are usually a problem with the actual product. Sorry but if people are too lazy to read a one or two page sheet on how to properly use the product then any problems are 100% on them.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Just tell Tammy I sent you. Dust Bowl Speed Shop.

Just Gary, Chavezk21 and Tman like this.
  28. I suppose I have to use your real name as well?

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yeah, she doesn't know my alter ego.

Just Gary likes this.
  30. Male gigolo?