Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Some thoughts about the previous year.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chryslerfan55, Dec 9, 2020.

1. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'm going to continue to rid myself of stuff I don't need. Ya see, after my kids are outta school and on their own, the missus and I plan on moving north...way north. Poof....gone.

2. Budget36

Budget36

I think I was lucky this past year due to certain circumstances. I worked a lot of OT from April till just recently. I spent a lot of money and have a pile of parts for some upcoming free time. I know many have had to struggle the past 6-8 months, and maybe will also be going forward for awhile as well.

Helping my kids out (when I couldn’t for a long time) I know I’ll be back to paycheck to paycheck in the near future, I’m good with that. But then I’ll have time to get busy on things I’ve had to put off. I know Thanksgiving has past, but I sure am thankful for the past 6 months, even tho my life was spent in a 600k warehouse most of the time.
    Last week, I had to give a buddy a bit of a talking to. His work hours were cut. He’s been bitching about money etc. in his driveway are two dead cars. Both of which he has the stuff to fix them. Both OT, but both straight forward fixes. I laid into him when he wanted me to come over now that my OT is dropping, and do the replacement of a transmission on one. I said” No, you’ve sat on your ass for days at a time every week and the shit isn’t even cleaned up to work on”.
    He’s obviously not a HAMBr;).
    Going forward to 2021, I hope all of you will see lemonade from the lemons we’ll be in.

3. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Very timely and uplifting for all of us still hanging around. My wife and I have always been together since we met in college back in 1966. When I saw her walking towards a classroom, it was instantly a forever image. To my surprise, we were in the same class and she sat in the back row. I sat with a friend in the front row to get points from the professor. Plus, I was sitting with this girl who was dating my friend from Lakewood. My future wife thought that since we always sat together, that other girl and I were dating. At least I was getting noticed. A semester later, we met for the first time and the trek started…

Since our courting days and then getting married, we have been on the same page on just about everything, including hot rods and drag racing. She liked hot rods and hated drag racing. So, we did not go to the drags, anymore. One out of two is not bad. We traveled all over during this time and have been together through thick and thin.

The year 2020 did disrupt our lives to no end, but in looking back to those bleak society’s ills in 1968 when we got married, we stood together and just mellowed out to get past the craziness. 1968 was one of the most hectic years of our lives. Almost the same stuff was going on for everyone. Protests, social upheaval, civil rights, an undeclared war, and of all things, a world-wide epidemic.

We thought our lives were being impacted, but for 20 somethings, life moved on and we were trying to do the best as we could with what we had going for us. We have been together through a lot of “stuff.” Extended family and otherwise… But, being together in the current pandemic just helps the situation and the feeling of being together is what is important. Sure, we miss our son and granddaughter and the big hugs received on those times. But, we all know by following the rules and staying healthy, we will all get through this year and its troubles.

Jnaki

Somehow, we are not spending much money, so it is piling up. But, on the other hand, we do drive past the place where this 1940 sedan is being sold. Either that tells us something or we are dreaming during this pandemic. We saw this 1940 Ford sedan for sale back in the beginning of the current crisis. So, perhaps, it is time.
    upload_2021-1-18_4-30-11.png
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...re-going-forward.1191837/page-3#post-13556107

Stay safe, stay healthy and social distance for all activities with a mask. We are all in this together…
    1968-69 came and went with some trepidation. (Now, that bad virus from 1968 is just an ordinary flu bug that pops up now and again, but on a small scale.) But, we made it this far following the rules of health and safety.

P.S. It was time to buy, as the last time we drove by, the green 1940 sedan was gone. On to the next idea for these cuckoo days.
    upload_2021-1-18_4-31-19.png
    A Candy Apple Red version of a classic 1940 Ford 2 door sedan… ?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

2020 sucked for a bunch of personal reasons and due to covid, but it wasn’t all bad. Thankfully neither I nor my wife were out of work at any point and she even landed a great new opportunity towards the end of the year.

On the car front, I’m honestly blessed to have this hobby and my shop at home. While I’m sure people have been going stir crazy being stuck inside, I’ve been in the shop and having fun, so the lockdown hasn’t been as bad as it could have been.

My main project has been a complete mechanical overhaul of my 61 Olds. Formerly a 394/Rotohydramatic, it’s now a SBC/700r4. I’m hoping to finish the mechanicals of this one up soon. I haven’t posted many pics on the H.A.M.B. due to it not being strictly period correct. [​IMG]

I also bought my 56 Holiday 98 this year and have been driving it more than I think I’ve ever driven one of my classics. Without any shows to go to, it’s just a car I take out whenever. Run some errands, go to Walmart, dinner, whatever.
    [​IMG]

Hoping for a better 2021 though. Stay safe

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. The year 2020 was nuts for me outside of the virus mess even. Several family trials seemed to come to a head in 2020 which kept me from making the needed progress on a couple father/son projects for my boys who both turned 16 last year. Looks like I will be continuing on with those projects in 2021 as well as finishing up building a motor for my C10 and swapping it as well as trying to limp along my Fairlane and Thunderbird another year or so.

6. 2020 was a good year regardless of the virus and the current domestic turmoil. Our missing/runaway granddaughter came home after almost 2 years. It was such a relief to our family. Everything had sort of been on hold.
    I retired in December, sold the off topic, plastic, Chevrolet and started the 32 project I've always wanted. Plans are to finish it and tour a bit. We'll see how that goes.
    Good wishes to everyone for '21.

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The only thing I can say, as we lurch from crisis to crisis here in our family over the past two years, is that I'm glad I have a couple of projects to occupy my time. I anticipate LOTS of shop time in 2021 as well.

8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Last year was no different than any other year other than very few swapmeets. My wife and I are not social, don’t go out to restaurants or meet people somewhere to do something.
    I spent my time in junkyards where most of the time I was the only one there and all the yards I hang out at are Off the beaten path and not well known . This year will be no different other than I plan on buying more cars and truck to redistribute Than parts although one yard has agreed to sell me over 1,000 old steel wheels from the 1920’s through the 1970’s. I might be nuts on that one but what the heck.

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spent some time in Northeast Tennessee in the middle '70's. Fell in love with the area, and a girl who became my wife. East Tennessee is still beautiful, the wife got ugly.

Some of her old habits which I was unaware of returned after we were married a couple years, and I sent her packing.

I'm going to try to finish up the Model A this year, and maybe live a little healthier lifestyle, but that bacon is hard to give up.

warhorseracing and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I can say is FUCK 2020! From any angle you want, O/T or not, it sucked. Ok, I did work more on mine but the shop bills keep coming in and what's the 1st thing to go when the shit hits the fan? Yeah, OUR stuff. 2021, you been warned...:mad::mad::mad:

11. I'll probably start a shitstorm with this, but...
    As bad as 2020 seemed to us, think about the eras that our favorite cars came from:

the late 20's through '39 or '40 were far worse in many ways. No jobs, no crops if you were a farmer, little government help. Foreclosures, no healthcare, poverty caused migration. Those people had FAR worse years than 2020!

'41 though mid '45 (WW II) caused more sacrifices than we can imagine. You can't go to car shows or swap meets? During those times, people couldn't get tires or gas, let alone butter, all the meat they wanted.....most stuff was rationed.

every decade since that our troops were sent all over the world to preserve peace, which made for some shitbag years for them (and many shitbag years since for a lot of them).

Yes, 2020 sucked, but IF you stayed healthy...and I hope you did...and didn't lose any loved ones to the virus... and I hope you didn't..., just take a step back and look at what past generations have gone though, then thank your lucky stars that you can still bitch about not having car shows to attend.

End of rant, take your shots!

12. Well, about the only thing I can say good about 2020 is with the near-total shutdown of public life for myself and my GF (we're both retired and in the Covid high-risk category), our social engagements dropped to near zero and the resulting drop in expenses meant I had more money for car stuff....

We do feel fortunate in that ourselves and family have escaped the pandemic (so far) and our hearts go out to those who haven't.

13. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

sorry my thoughts on 2020 are pretty rough , only sailors and deck hands or bikers ears wouldnt be offended by my thoughts on 2020

das858 and Crazy Steve like this.
  14. How's the old saying go? If life gives you lemons, make lemonade? What else ya gonna do with lemons? Any who, that's kinda the way 2020 went for me this year. I did try, and make everyday count. But I couldn't go to swap meets, or car events. I did visit friends garages, and they visited mine too. We would just open the garage doors, and social distance. I played more with grandkids, and toys. {Both the big and small ones} We stayed away from pubic places. Also had things delivered to our house or car. We have been blessed that no one in our family has got the virus yet. I do plan on getting our shots soon. I pray for those that had a tough 2020. Also If you losted someone that you loved. So sorry. I hope that 2021 will be much better for everyone. Here's few photos from our 2020 garage crawl. Have fun, but please stay safe. Ron......... 348.jpg 346.jpg 360.jpg 383.jpg 003.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  15. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That garage crawl is a really cool idea

16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Last summer was the best summer we’ve had since we were kids.
    We both finally retired. Bought a boat and lived on the lake (practically) for four months
    Fished, swam, cooked and fished some more. What fun. My grandkids all stayed in isolation so we could all be together on the lake with no worries.
    Cruised in the old cars all over the state and picnicked when we got hungry.
    Absolutely no responsibilities.
    We had more spending money then ever. We haven’t been in a restaurant since last March.
    Had a few COVID scares but no friends or relatives were in serious condition.
    Thank God.
    Hope to never go through these worries again.

17. 2020 is over.
    I'll take 2021 as it comes, doing my best to make the most of it, and deal with what I have control over, as I have no idea what's in store.
    Hope we all can enjoy our hobbies as each of us sees fit.

Budget36 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

No shots from here. People forget what their parents and grandparents had to suffer through, as they complain about not being able to set in a bar or restaurant.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

2020 will be looked at as the good old days by the time 2021 ends.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I certainly hope not!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

2020 was a complete disaster. The only saving grace for me is the health of my family and myself.
    My lady is in the hospitality industry so she hasn't been working until recently. Multiple issues with appliance's in the kitchen witch required replacing.
    The free time I have had hasn't been productive either. It crazy what happens to your attitude during unending high stress levels.
    I'm not one to give up on anything, so we are getting through it and life is getting better for us. We just keep digging.
    I'm just glad my parents are retired and don't have to deal with all this shit.
    I think it's going to be awhile before anything gets better for us. I will keep hoping for that day.
    I have to say the HAMB has been a much needed distraction for me.
    THANKS GUYS AND GALS

Petejoe, Stogy, Tickety Boo and 4 others like this.
  22. Wow. Loving the responses fellas, keep them coming. When I started this thread I figured it’d get two maybe three responses but I gotta say I’m very happy with the results so far. Thanks again guys and gals.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy, 61SuperMonza and guthriesmith like this.
  23. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At first glance 2020 sucked. My wife had lung cancer surgery and my dad died. But as it turned out her surgery was a success and my dad was 100. He lived a good life, died peacefully and wasn't in any pain at the end. He was a scientist so he donated his body to the local teaching hospital, His passing will assist doctors in the years to come. One of my car buddies did have to be hospitalized with Covid but he has recovered. Hopefully that means he'll be able to help me on my Ranch wagon project which is stalled at the moment. First order of business is to turn the front springs over as per the orientation marks placed by Eaton Spring. When all else fails read the instructions! Looking forward to a better 2012 with more swap meets and shows.

Budget36 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. I suspect there aren't many shots to be fired. We have no doubt become a bunch of spoiled brats to an extent in this county with very little need overall. Our struggles are minimal as compared to previous generations or even some other parts of the world that don't have the prosperity or freedoms we have. We have alot to be thankful for even when it comes to how we can get through a year like last year where it appeared the sky was falling to many. Thanks for helping with perspective as we look back on what seemed like a tough year.

chryslerfan55, charleyw and Budget36 like this.
  25. 34Larry

34Larry

"So with that said feel free to post your planned projects, ongoing projects, etc...."

One planned thing is to meet you since we only live blocks apart, after this shit has died off to a reasonable level, CF55.
    I'm still reassembling my '34 after the trans. fiasco, taking it slow. I haven't had my guru car buddy help me at all, been doing it on my own. The HEMI and Torqueflite are nested back in their living quarters and the intake and carbs are also in their place, and the new MSD distributor is nestled in its place with the plugs and wires also in waiting. . Jim wants to use bolts on the headers when and if I call him over so I'm in the process of pulling the studs, (waiting now on a stud puller that is on order), to accomplish installing the bolts.
    Health issues are also on the agenda to deal with. I have to limit my time away in the garage/shop as my wife's dementia has brought on a fear of being alone for longer than an hour, so that has limited my timeout there.
    I also have issues that prevent me from being out there as much as I'd like to.
    So my plans are to get it on the road, assess what I want to do with it, keep it or sell and follow through with those plans.
    I'm 82, April 19th and feeling it more and more all the time.

26. No big car projects last year. Did a ton of honey-dos and went small on the car front and finished the 1/8 scale scratch built Mysterion I had started in 2001.
    IMG_1035.JPG IMG_1036.JPG IMG_1037.JPG IMG_1038.JPG IMG_1039.JPG IMG_1040.JPG IMG_1041.JPG IMG_1042.JPG IMG_1045.JPG IMG_1046.JPG

27. ...I'm optimistic but just because the date now reads 2021, I 'm not so sure this year will be much different than 2020...be safe out there.

49ratfink and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

In the immortal words of the Grinch ; " STINK , STANK , STUNK !"

49ratfink and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. Had a great year. Capped it off by getting married in October. Was only bummed BTT50s was cancelled but on the home front things stayed pretty much normal. I am tired however of my ongoing house remodel. I am just now starting to move in and can see lots of shop time down the road!

chryslerfan55 and Budget36 like this.
  30. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I'm going to be 72 this year. I feel like I was robbed of a precious year that no one that old can afford to lose. Shit now I'm really depressed....lol

49ratfink, Budget36 and chryslerfan55 like this.