Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 Falcon Suspension Upgrade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MUNCIE, Feb 5, 2008.

1. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

upload_2020-12-4_22-5-38.png
    upload_2020-12-4_22-5-51.png

Well I had a little time today so I pulled the pan back off and turned the engine by hand to get a look at the first counter weight by the keyway. It's stamped 1M so it's a 260/289 crank and not the 2M for the 302 so I am really wondering how in the heck did they balance this engine if they removed material from the skirts on the pistons to clear the crank?

-Mark

2. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Question for everyone - Been doing some reading and it seems that the Boss 302 was rated at 290 hp. If that's the case a slightly modified (Power Performance top end package from Summit ) 289/302 naturally aspirated engine shouldn't need aftermarket rods and the such. I guess what I am asking is a set of H - Beam rods (Crower,Scat etc.) is considered overkill or money wasted on this type of engine? I would rather put the money towards additional parts if it will just be money wasted so to speak. I plan on driving it hard but not strip time. Opinions welcomed...

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Overkill.

Just use good bolts.

4. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Ok thanks. I kind of figured that but just wanted someone else's opinion.

5. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Got a quick question, an opportunity arose to pick up a 69" 302 block with the crank/caps and flex plate included ($100). My question is will most of the front parts to the block interchange from a 289? Like the water pump and pulleys etc. I've heard that this can open a can of worms with the SBF family and I don't want to be searching for pulleys etc. to fit my engine bay.
    Basically I would want to swap intake and carb over, and have everything else line up the way it was like with the alternator bracket. The block does not have heads but I might find some cast iron ones or I was kinda of leaning towards buying a set of aftermarket heads anyway with the accessory holes pre drilled for the 289 I was gonna put in there.
    Thanks,
    Mark

6. caper

caper
    from Cape Cod

Yes

MUNCIE likes this.
  7. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Yes, Boss 302 rated at 290 hp...@5200 rpm.
    On a motor that pulls strong to 7000 plus,

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

MUNCIE likes this.
  8. LOLOL... In '69 everyone was cracking down on performance cars, insurance rates were climbing and were based on 'advertised horsepower'. Ford seriously underrated both the Boss 302 and 428CJ to avoid this, the Boss with the factory RPM limiter removed could be tuned for nearly 400 HP. They also rated the CJ at only 335 HP, actual HP was over 400. It took the insurance companies only a year or two to figure this out....

MUNCIE and fauj like this.
  9. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Well I'm gonna go take a look at the block on this Tuesday and go from there. If all looks well, I will probably take it straight to the machine shop to check for cracks etc. If it's rebuildable then I will let them do the rest of the work to get it ready for assembly. Don't want to drag home another core and that way the wife will never know....:D

10. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

What's going on guys? Hope everyone is doing well. I haven't been doing much lately in the garage other than working around the house as usual. Anyway I decided to remove the oil galley plugs and the engine block plugs because I am off next week to spend time with my grandkids for Spring Break and get some things done for myself. So I made an effort to go out there this afternoon to do just that because I wanted to drop the block off at the machine shop.

So I started to inspect the block and I couldn't believe that I missed this the times I looked at it. While checking the lifter bores and such and I noticed this. Am I screwed? I think I am but would like to know what everyone thinks and what could have caused this? The distributor shaft took a dump and blew the hole? I didn't think they were strong enough to do this to the casting.

If so another 289 for scrap. At least I didn't pay a bundle for it but it is disappointing to say the least.

Attached Files:

11. finn

finn

Looks like casting flash, on my tablet, at least ."

LWEL9226 and MUNCIE like this.
  12. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Thanks, going to try cleaning it up a little with a carbide bit.

13. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Well I picked up another block casting number C90E-6015-C. From what I can gather it's a 302 - 1969 year. 1M stamped on the crank so it's a 289 crank, which is pretty common from what I've read. Also the piston skirts are supposed to be a bit longer on a 302 vs the 289 but this block does not seem to be. Anyway I need to find a 2M 302 crank now, and I have been calling around to machine shops and it seems that "hot tanking" has gone by the wayside.
    The block has been stripped down pretty much to nothing, still have the cam bearings and oil filter housing in place, should I remove them along with the freeze plugs prior to taking it for machining? The clean and mag is going to run $85 bucks. I asked them what they do to clean the blocks prior to machining and it's basically a power wash with a pressure washer. Would be nice to find someone who would hot tank it.

Thanks,
    Mark

14. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Well thought I would bring this back up since it's been almost 3 years now :eek: . Tell you guys what life and procrastinating sure have a way of eating up your time. Well I dropped my 289 donor block off at the machine about 3 weeks ago. They have finally gotten around to checking it out. In a nutshell it will have to go to .40 over. I have the 302 2M crank so it will be stroked to 308. They are going to line, deck and hone and turn my crank.
    What I am seeking is advice on rotating assembly kits minus the crank, I want to use I beam rods. I am wondering if I could piece together a decent set of pistons and rods without getting too fancy in cost but maybe a step up from stock?
    Summit and Northern Auto parts come to mind. Any suggestions as to whom I may contact and what brand to use?
    Thanks,
    Mark

15. RmK57

RmK57

That looks like casting flash on one of the oil drain back holes. Grind it out with a die grinder and burr and on the top of the block smooth out and blend the entry so the hot oil can drain back quicker.

MUNCIE likes this.
  16. RmK57

RmK57

2OLD2FAST, SS327 and MUNCIE like this.
  17. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

I have a 69" 302 block bare that I will eventually build a 331 out of it. I have definitely looked into the Scat stroker kits but for now the 302 crank in the 289 block is the direction I'm going. Probably will go with Eagle or Scat I beam rods. Not sure about the pistons. Waiting on the machine shop to tell me their suggestions (flat top, dome, dish). Not sure of the brand(s) yet as well. Then I will move on to the cam, lifter set and heads.

18. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

19. RmK57

RmK57

I’m going to be using a set of them as there the only piston manufacturer that makes a piston for my combo. Other than that I’ve good things about them.

There should be quite a few choices of piston kits available for a stock stroke 302. I’m using SRP pistons at this time. There quite reasonably priced.

lumpy 63, MUNCIE and SS327 like this.
  20. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

What combo are you running. I've found a box set of them with rings for about $500.

21. RmK57

RmK57

Stroker BBF.

MUNCIE likes this.
  22. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I've had zero issues with Mahle .

MUNCIE likes this.
  23. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I ran a 428 SCJ years ago , my buddy used 351W with 318 connecting rods and custom piston , what cube it ended up being I have no idea , but it sounded like it reved like an Evenrude

MUNCIE likes this.
  24. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Cool thanks.

25. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

I was wondering where have you gotten them in the past? Jegs and Summit do not seem to carry what I need.
    -Mark

26. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Chebby Turbo Pistons , 9.2 CR and 372 Cu In , from 351W with a 318 Mopar connecting rods

MUNCIE likes this.
  27. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Nice!!