Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Fenton 4 speed shifters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38 2 DR Sedan, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Hello I bought 2 Fenton 4 speed shifters with reverse loc outs one from here on the HAMB and the other from EBay, and my question is does any one out there have any information on how the loc outs work, maybe some rebuild diagrams or exploded view. I want to see if I am missing any parts or pieces. There has to be someone with the instructions on how to rebuild these shifter, if someone does have a copy of these instructions I just needed to see how the assembly is put together, I can fab the things I need. Any and all information will be very helpful. You can PM me if you want,that would be great Thank You

loudbang likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. Thanks for the bump!!!!!

4. Maybe inquire over on BangShift site...........

5. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

How about some pics?

6. I can't believe that with all the older traditional hot rodder's on here and all the different things that Fenton offered, that no one has any information about Fenton shifter's all I want to know is how the reverse loc out worked on these shifters. As far as picture's I bought the one here on HAMB, which the seller had for sale and the other was bought on EBay, so I think a lot of people already seen them. It's just weird that nobody has information about these shifters, I don't want original paper work just copies of how the loc out worked. I like older speed parts for a vintage build, sure I could put a Hurst shifter in my builds but everyone has Hurst I want to show that there were other companies out there, isn't that part of why the HAMB is here for the traditional builds. Well enough said I will make these shifter work one way or an other. Then when it's checked out it will have that wow factor that make it different. HEY BUDDY I DIDN'T KNOW FENTON MADE SHIFTERS,THAT'S WAY COOL!!!! So the search continues.

vtx1800 likes this.
  7. Hoosherdaddy

Hoosherdaddy

How about Fenton T-handel

8. So do you have one?

9. Hoosherdaddy

Hoosherdaddy

This is the shifter

Attached Files:

vtx1800, GlassThamesDoug and Deuces like this.
  10. Hoosherdaddy

Hoosherdaddy

Yes

11. So is it for sale???

12. Hoosherdaddy

Hoosherdaddy

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how old it is or how rare. I've had it for years.

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  13. I would guess as old and rare as the shifters, your the first person to post since I posted this tread, the other guys posted back when I posted the thread. I have not found any other information since than, so I'm guessing know one really know, has to be back in the 60's. I do know there were wheels, intakes, heads, valve covers, maybe some accessories, they were a old company.

14. Hoosherdaddy

Hoosherdaddy

Thanks for your help!

15. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a 3 speed Fenton shifter in a 55 Ford in the late 60's. Don't now anything about the 4 speed shifters, but if the quality was anywhere near the 3 speed shifter, its not worth talking about.

jaracer likes this.
  16. I had a Fenton 500, 3 speed shifter in my "57 Chevy, back during my high school days. The chrome Fenton handle has left very happy and nice memories in the brain. Yet I bought a 3 speed Hurst shifter to replace the Fenton. For some REASON I have and do own many 3 speed and 4 speed Hurst shifters since then.

jaracer and Deuces like this.
  17. Your welcome stay safe.

18. Well guys I'm back I'm still looking for a exploded view for the Fenton 4speed shifters I have they both have lock out reverse set ups with I don't understand I think they are missing a part or two, there a lot like a Hurst shifter inside but the reverse lock out is way different, they have a chrome everyday pivots off the back of the handle at the base, and itwill looks like you just move the lever over and it keeps you from going into reverse but nothing holds it there that what makes me think there missing a few parts at the pivot point, so if anyone has any picture or views of the please post in this thread or PM me. Thank you Tony/38 2 Dr Sedan

19. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a one of those rare Fenton 4spd with reverse loc out. These would be NHRA/AHRA approved, I would date them to when that rule was required. I bought it for the cool factor. Shift knobs, are really scarce.

20. jaracer

jaracer

Based on my memories, the easiest fix for any Fenton shifter was spelled Hurst. I don't think any of the aftermarket shifters and even some factory ones were the quality of the Hurst shifter.

Desoto291Hemi, bowie and seb fontana like this.
  21. Hello so does the reverse lock out work that is what this whole tread is about I am looking for information on how the lockout works so could you post some picture of that area of the shifter so I can see if I am missing anything I want to make these shifter work for my 61 Chevy Biscayne gasser, I will send you a PM so we can chat about it. TONY

22. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe it does. Pretty cool shifter when I saw that reverse lever. Will get you some pics tomorrow. It looks like new, mechanism is in good shape.

Always looked for shift knob, appears to be 3pc, missing 2x sides that thread into center.

Your welcome to any pics.

23. Thank You that would be great, I have one of the knob you are speaking of mine has black walnut wood one side is there and I have a piece of wood to make the other side but I'm not good at working with wood so am trying to find a wood worker who can copy another side and I will have a complete knob, the other shifter has a no name aluminum t-handle.

Sporty45 likes this.
  24. Sporty45

Sporty45

25. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fenton 4 speed. Has the pin to sync levers. When you look closely, it looks like it has not been used. Lever bushing bore show no wear.

Attached Files:

26. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few more.

Attached Files: