Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical exhaust wrap thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nunattax, Jan 14, 2021.

1. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

lets see how you wrapped your headers.time to show off your skills.what s it take to do a top job

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    loudbang and cktasto like this.
  2. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Really..!?
    Just wrap-em. Overlap by about 1/2 the width, what else is there to do ?
    I use safety wire to secure it.
    Near electronics, water or oil lines (motorcycles) I use two layers.

Mike

Stogy likes this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do them with the wrap material wet. I use DEI clamps and bailing wire to hold it on. 2998AD38-6394-4F46-9493-C857E9F329AD.jpeg

4. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

[​IMG]some headers are more difficult than others.they are all straightforward until you give it a go.!

mad mikey, Stogy, Lil32 and 2 others like this.

5. Budget36

Budget36

Badge of honor there;). May want to think about jetting it up some tho:)

Stogy, loudbang and badshifter like this.
  6. phat rat

phat rat

Good way to have rusty leaky headers. BTDT

7. Yep, I've seen this done on motorcycles and the wrap attracts/retains moisture, rotting a set of headers in pretty short order.

Stogy, indyjps, hemihotrod66 and 5 others like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

I let my headers dissipate heat....no wrap for me.

Why do you want to wrap them?

9. badshifter

badshifter

Put some timing advance in that poor engine!
    The headers are too far gone but you can unwrap the exhaust pipe.

mad mikey, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  10. greybeard360

greybeard360

Wrap also holds oil. Enough and it will catch fire.

hemihotrod66, Stogy and Lil32 like this.
  11. trollst

trollst

I have had wrap on the headers-pipes of my 327 powered 36 ford pickup for twenty years, no rust through yet. It sits all winter in a cold shop, gets run hard all summer, and takes a ton of heat out of the engine room. Works for me....

12. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Okay for a race car. Want your headers to last? Have them ceramic-coated. Only a dyno will confirm if they add hp. Both will help to cool engine compartment, but not an issue for cars without hoods or fenders.

Stogy and Lil32 like this.
  13. On my Mysterion clone I decided to hollow out the passenger side engine and put an alternator inside, run by a stub shaft driven by a belt from the running engine. Nowhere else to put the charger! Since I also routed the right side exhaust from the running engine thru the dummy block to exit thru the passenger side header making it seem that engine is running, that might fry the alternator. I wrapped the tube inside the block with header wrap to keep things cool. Anchored both ends of the fabric with common hose clamps since nothing shows.
    P1010381.JPG

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  14. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

We won’t even put that stuff on a race car,you can’t check the headers for cracks and as greybeard posted you don’t want any oil getting soaked in.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have never yet figured why guys think that ugly crap looks cool.

16. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Wrapping your exhaust does have some benefits depending on the configuration of your powerplant. As mentioned it does rust pipes so for a naturally aspirated motor not really something I would do.
    I will say that I run a wrapped exhaust on my turbocharged Corvair Monza. I am willing to deal with the rust issue to gain 15 HP. Raising the EGT really helps bring up the boost. The other plus is additional cooling with an air cooled engine.
    I don't like the look but you don't see it unless your under the car.
    The performance gains on a turbo engine are worth it. That's my 2 cents

17. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I should also mention that when wrapping the exhaust on a turbo motor you will want to set it up a tad rich. Your exhaust valve will thank you.
    Okay, I'm done

Stogy and 31hotrodguy like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I call it Cold Blue Steel with that ZZ tune on my mind till I start it up...:D...they've been blue since 2010...I don't profess to be a Chevy guru by any means but I have paid a number of those that should...could it be running lean or rich by chance? Doesn't seem to run to bad but I do get funny starts sometimes after driving for a while, it seems to kick back and the starter can't turn past...so I let it sit for a bit...the wrap is covering up non show worthy pipes...garage built... guess I should unwrap and check but I think it would be obvious if there were an issue...;)

What-Ferrari.jpg

:rolleyes:...I thought these fellas were looking at all the carbs but maybe it was the pipes...:eek:

Maybe they were used when Jerry got them...the down pipes and mufflers weren't even on yet...

PA150124.JPG

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  19. chargin03

chargin03

Butt ugly!

Lil32 likes this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_20210115_073305.jpg

20210115_072808.jpg

@nunattax here's another angle...it was on it when I got it...I had the pipes reworked several times and the webbings a little shorter...even has some Traditional baling wire...it looks driven and even goes with the dirty white walls...perfect...;)

21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

not my headers .pic is from the hamb. looks like its not very popular stuff.i wrapped my stainless exhaust to reduce the heat from under the cab.and to quieten it down a little.also insulated the cab .every little bit helps .havnt wrapped the headers yet.have a roll of one inch on standby.[​IMG]

loudbang, mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  22. There was an article in Stockcar Racing or Oval Track magazine about headers. They said only the benefit of header wrap was to the headers manufacturers, header wrap traps moisture & dirt, this causes headers to be junk at the end of the season"

Lil32 likes this.
  23. 5window

5window

Seems to be varying opinions. Great! I had my headers ceramic coated since I run an A with no hood. I use ceramic stove cleaner and they have seemed to hold up well.

Lil32, mad mikey, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'd never wrap my headers, but I did wrap my tailpipes where they ran parallel to my fuel cell in the back, just to ensure the heat didn't transfer to the cell. Not visible unless you look under my coupe, so I'm OK with it where it doesn't show much.

25. George

George

Have read that wrap can cook the metal so that it could fail....

Stogy likes this.
  26. grdra1

grdra1

Love it or hate it I suppose it comes down to personal choice. I do like the look on certain cars, I plan to wrap my lakester headers and will post pics of the process. If it looks crap or I change my mind, I can always take it of. All the experts say no need to wet the titanium warp only the fiberglass type. Glen

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@nunattax that's my Sport Coupe...;)
    Again this wrap and pipes are either 10 or nearing 10 years old, still performing fine bluing, wrap, unpainted downpipes aside...one thing I don't do is drive in rain...

I wouldn't be surprised if this wrap isn't an inspired replacement for a more vintage deadly alternative used back in the day...

I have no plans on taking my 20 footer wrap off...thanks for sharing it, that was a beautiful ride on an equally stunning day in late September last year...

28. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I'm going to wrap my side pipes under the door. I'd rather have rust than a mad wife when she burns her leg.

loudbang, nunattax and Stogy like this.
  29. indyjps

indyjps

Ive been grabbing the rigid waffle looking heat shields off late models when I see them. Also sold by dimension. Wouldnt work well on open hood cars.

If you use the exhaust wrap, stainless steel "zip ties" are the way to go, clamp tools arent too pricey.

loudbang, nunattax and Stogy like this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I suspect those zip ties you mention may come with the wrap as a kit or are offered alongside it...I believe that is what's also anchoring my short runs of wrap along with my baling wire clamps...

loudbang and indyjps like this.