Register now to get rid of these ads!

History This Budget Merc is a Novice Knock-Out

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

This Budget Merc is a Novice Knock-Out

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. June 54 was a damned good time to be in San Francisco. Makes perfect sense that someone would build a sweet backyard custom to commemorate that specific space in the time. :D

Slick old custom. Love it.

3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

June 1954, take a mostly brand new car and transform it into your own vision of what should have been.
    Nice work, lets see if that would work for today, a two year old anything,,, nope send to the crusher?

dana barlow and 51 mercules like this.
  4. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Thanks for posting! I never seen that one before! Pretty cool! Wonder if it's still around?

5. Back in the beginnings of the custom era there were a few built from brand new cars. I helped restore a Westergard (sp) custom that the *'39 merc went from the showroom to his shop. Got the lid removed and replaced with a carson top (it was originally a coupe), the windshield shortened. Full house flatty, rolls and pleats in white leather, buick grill, frenched everything, new paint.

FoMoCo was cheap and so ready to be customized. :D

*it could have been a '40 my brain is fuzzy now

6. Simple, clean, perfect.

dana barlow likes this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

tons of the new muscle cars and not very old vettes are Getting some pretty radical body work done these days. Pretty common in imports as well but I see a ton of lowered, hopped up “wide body” late models around the city.

back to on topic things great post for the day :)

8. Torchie

Torchie

One of what was probably hundreds of home built customs. Most of which never got any publicity.
    I worked with a guy in the mid 70's. It was a summer factory job. They guy never said too much to anybody. Just sat by himself at lunch.
    One day I had brought in a "little pages" book that I had picked up at a garage sale to read during my lunch break. He spotted it and came over to talk. He told me about the shoe box Ford custom he and his friends had built while in HS in the mid 50's. Chopped. Channeled. All done with gas welding by 3 kids in their driveway.
    Torchie

51 mercules likes this.
  9. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a budget Merc... '49 2 door that I've got 8k into and it still doesn't roll...

INVISIBLEKID likes this.