Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods If you were going to build a car to run in the South East Gasser Association, what would you build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 10, 2020.

1. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  2. old32

old32

my ford gasser 1 (9).JPG 2 (1).JPG DSCN3111.JPG

Rickybop, mad mikey, KiWinUS and 4 others like this.
  3. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

55-57 Chevy Sedan Delivery..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cktasto, mad mikey, KiWinUS and 3 others like this.
  4. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

A straight axle Tokyo Rose would be cool in my book!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Todd Oden runs a '57 Chevy Sedan Delivery, I believe he calls it "Double D", in the Southeast Gassers Association.

It is a beautiful car and it runs like Jake the Bear!

Elcohaulic, 31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  6. fortynut

fortynut

For those who didn't like my angle on building a Gasser; be informed I am now in the process of acquiring a big block Chebby for power and am looking for a '49 Studebaker Coupe. If you know of one dirt cheap (I am a dirt cheap kind of guy) shoot me a PM --- if it's anywhere near close to Alabama. I also dug up a F100 pickup front axle and springs to make it the 'real deal nose bleed in the front dump in the back' and a 9" Ford rear end to go under it. Also, since the 'steenken rules' were brought up, I also need to know where to get a 'steenkin rule boook' and am open to suggestions for a name to this creation. Har har. Pirates Rule!

31hotrodguy and Thor1 like this.
  7. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Do a search for south east gasser association rules and it should be the first thing that comes up. Everything down what wheel are approved. I might be sick in the head but I think it is a fun read. Lol

loudbang likes this.
  8. Thanks for the link. Interesting and comprehensive rules.

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Henry J would be my choice. I love the look of them. next would be a 55 chevy post car.

mad mikey, Roothawg, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  10. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I just read the super stock class rules again just for fun. Lol

11. Yeah, I was looking at them as well. Serious project to build the car AND follow the rules to a T, a whole lotta details

12. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I understand what you mean. One of my cars just got eliminated due to the 5spd. I could always put the Muncie in though. The other because I don’t have a scatter shield because the clutch linkage mounts to the factory bellhousing. It’s all do able but it quickly becomes a ripple effect.

I think the key would be to keep it more “stock” than not.

Roothawg, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  13. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

967DCC9A-99A4-41A6-8085-5A37D38152D2.jpeg How about a ‘53 Buick Special for a gasser project? I’m keeping the engine and transmission, possibly everything but the body.

chryslerfan55 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  14. IMO, the 2 most successful cars I’ve watched have been the silver ‘60 (?) Corvette and several ‘63 (?) Chevy II’s

Although SEGA penalizes SBC’s, they
    seem to dominate (as they always have!). Again, my opinion.

Seems on 1/8 mile tracks, lightweight cars powered by small CID engines are more successful.

Remember, if it wasn’t available in 1967, you can’t run it, with few exceptions.

Good luck !

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  15. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

You would be hard pressed to find many race tracks that would let you run a stock bell housing, even in 1967.

16. Been catching some of your stuff on Youtube. I commend you for putting together a cool show.

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have talked to Quain some and he takes a beating for drawing a line in the sand. Hats off to him for sticking to his guns.

I do wish the cutoff was a little earlier. (just my personal taste) Not a big fan of Chevy II's even though I owned one. Everyone can find something they don't like, that's why it's so freaking hard to manage.

18. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

You're exactly right, the small block chevy does seem to be the best combination in the Southeast Gassers Association even though it's the most restricted engine combination in the organization. If we didn't restrict it by now (10 years later) the only engine combination in the SEGA would be a SBC. It's doubtful that many fans would be interested in watching an all SBC race so over the years little changes have been made to give an incentive to use other style engines. As of November 20th the record in A/Gas is held by a big block chevy followed by a small block chevy, followed by a small block ford. Only 3 hundredths between the 3 totally different combinations so it's some pretty good racing no matter which style engine one likes. Working on new head rules for the Mopar and Oldsmobile for 2021 to help make them more competitive. It's a tough balancing act but one of the main reasons the SEGA is one of the few nostalgia organizations that has been successful at first to the finish line racing.

19. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Believe it or not if I had my time to start over the cut off would be 1965 or earlier (so i agree with you). I don't have any thing against the chevy 2 but someone must be giving them away somewhere because they are a bunch in the SEGA and a bunch more being built.

20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks so much for following us and I hope one day you can see the racing in person. the video's just don't do it justice.

21. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Preach it brother Quain!

22. You guys are a LONG way from Western South Dakota but there is a chance. We plan on hitting Nashville for our honeymoon and spending some time that direction.

23. catdad49

catdad49

T, be careful that may be the high point of your trip. Be prepared to be amazed!

Quain Stott, loudbang, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  24. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think you would have to go to 62 to dodge that bullet.

loudbang, Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I wasn't wanting to back the date up to 65 just for the chevy 2 problem, I just think that era was a little better than 67. But it would cut some chevy 2's out LOL. By 67 the cars got lower and a lot of the cool stuff in the gasser world had changed. By 68 gassers were pretty much dead and the reason we chose 67 and no later. Our super stock class would have been cooler at about 1969 (just before narrowed rear ends) but then they wouldn't fit in a 1967 SEGA show so we had to go with 67 on the S/S cars also.

Just Gary, loudbang, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  26. Roothawg

Roothawg

It's a juggling act, I am sure.

27. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

yes it is and I'm going crazy trying to keep all the balls in the air LOL.

28. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

You be sure to let me know your coming and we will take time to bench race at the Knoxville race. I'm wide open but after the race or on Friday night we just hang out around a camp fire so come and make yourself at home.

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

..... then we get this M-F'er who stole my avatar and made toys. :mad:

s-l300.jpg