Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC CARB POLL

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jenkins Competition, Jan 11, 2021.

?

What Is/Are Your SBC Carb(s) ?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Single Holley/QF 4bbl VS 670

10.1%
  2. Single Holley/QF 4bbl DP 650

6.5%
  3. Multiple 2 bbls any brand

13.1%
  4. Multiple Holley/QF DP

0.6%
  5. Multiple Holley/QF VA

1.2%
  6. Edelbrock/Carter

39.3%
  7. Rochester

18.5%
  8. Single Holley/QF DP 750

1.8%
  9. Single Holley/QF VS 770

2.4%
  10. Holley Dominator or 3 Bbl

1.8%
  11. 2 x 4’s, not Holleys

4.8%
  1. I did before I sold it, it was an Edelbrock TR1X , 383 sbc, edelbrock rpm heads, 538 solid lift flat tappet.
    It worked great in my Henry J, tons of stoplights in the city, wide open roads on 45 minute rides to work and wide open passes at the track.
    Here's foot braking at 2200 rpm

Badmoondeadon_zpslyegcxey.jpg

Gathering the parts, it came with 600 cfm 1850 vacuum secondaries that I never tried

102_6061.jpg

Side view

100_6802.jpg

2. This Henry J
    deserves its’
    own thread !

“Lots of stoplights”, M21 or 22 ?
    What rear gear,
    Where you shifting at ?
    .........?

Lucky man !

edit: Is that MSD box distributor or
    self contained 8360 ?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Deuces likes this.
  3. sdluck

sdluck

My engine in my 29 is similar to DDD ,aluminum 427 SBC ,super victor manifold ,solid roller,3310 holley on it right now,Hilborn's on it later.

4. Do a search, he posted lots about the HenryJ

swade41 and Jenkins Competition like this.
  5. LUTHER99

LUTHER99

Q JET always , you can flow them up too 750 cfm's , unless your going big racing 600+hp then stick a holley on it

Deuces likes this.
  6. My 283 has a Holley, 650. I prefer the Edlebrock 650, so i will change it sometime in the near future. Every Holley i've ever owned has leaked. Not a fan.

Montana1 likes this.
  7. I normally run a single 4 the proper size for the engine in question. 2x4 is more impressive looking but I have had good luck making the zot required with a single 4.

Most of the time I can get by with 600-700 cfm and I prefer Holleys.

Just Gary, Deuces and mad mikey like this.
  8. So many Holleys have been altered, mismatched and generally abused,

I buy only new Holleys and use blue Holley gaskets, snug up only. No leaks, and they been apart many times !

Jibs, Deuces and mad mikey like this.
  9. IMO, the overwhelming majority of multi-carb set ups would run better (therefore impress me more) with one Holley.

Deuces likes this.
  10. Thanks for the tip. This carb was on the car when I got it, so i don't know how long it's been on there.

11. LOL way too many guys trying to run multi carbs that are just not tuners. Not a bad reflection on anyone, tuning is an art. Some guys are tuners and some guys are not.

INVISIBLEKID, swade41, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  12. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2 GC times three

Deuces likes this.
  13. Your welcome !

Put a small pan under corner of front bowl, remove the bottom screw just above pan. Almost all gas will drain in cup.

After removing bowl, take a look at gasket, bet it’s cut in two by tongue and groove seal. Some prior jackleg used a 3/8 ratchet to tighten !

You can find real Holley brand blue gaskets on eBay reasonable. There are also plastic seals that seal screw to bowl surfaces.

Deuces and Tickety Boo like this.
  14. sdluck

sdluck

30 inch pds is the spec on bowl torque for a holley.

Deuces likes this.
  15. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

My race buddy Jay R.I.P. stripped his main body bowl threads out and we fixed them using Time Zerts, it worked really well and never happend again.
    Jay used his impact wrench way to much IMHO, so when this happend, I just had to ask :D:D:D
    I got a blank stare from him, no sence of humor on that one. :p

Deuces and Jenkins Competition like this.
  16. I like to tighten screws with a nut driver, that is when my impact wrench is down !

Hahaha

Holly gotta be the most abused carb ever, remember when folks “re-jetted” w/a drill bit ?

Tickety Boo likes this.
  17. 4.11 for a couple years then 4.57 gears, th350 and shifted at 6200 rpm

I have a rather lengthy build thread here

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/finally-got-a-henry-j.517931/

I quit updating it, didn't seem like much interest in it so why bother, the car now has a completely different chassis, straight axle and have switched to a 489 big block Chevy with tunnel ram, still pump gas street/strip deal. Thanks for asking

20200113_143503.jpg
    20191212_162328.jpg

18. I skimmed the build. Very nice.
    You have a great skill set and
    way too much disposable income !

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've run multiple tunnel ram equipped engines on the street, and had only one that gave me fits getting it to run well at "normal" driving. I've used Weiand, Holley, and Edelbrock tunnel rams on the street, with no issus. The only one that gave me trouble is still here and working fine. But it wasn't the tunnel ram causing issues, it was the stupid Holley designed 450 carbs! Holley sells these 450 cfm carbs listed as designed for dual carb setups. They don't work well on any setup, unless your car is running on the primaries only, or full throttle. Transitioning from primaries to secondaries gradually causes the engine to fall on it's face, and lose all power.
    The issue is these carbs are mechanical secondary carbs, but without any secondary accelerator pumps! So as the secondaries open up there's no shot of fuel to help with the extra volume of air added. So the engine goes lean, and coughs, and stutters. I ended up changing to 50cc pumps on each carb, then changed the nozzles to a larger size, and finally jetted the carbs. After a lot of changes, and tuning it's been working well for the last decade, and still on the engine.
    I would have changed carbs long ago if I had room for two vacuum secondary Holley carbs. But the Holley Pro Dominator tunnel ram sits the carbs sideways, and canted at a slight angle. I want to keep the intake, but the carb bases sit the carbs too close together, and wont allow the pair of Holley 1850 carbs I have here that I'd love to run on it.
    These are 1850's on my '63 Falcon with 464 BBC engine:

[​IMG]

And my Austin with 350 Chev engine:

[​IMG]

20. I'm going to run these jetted secondary plates/blocks on the 450's for my crossram instead of swapping plates around and I've already bought the 50cc pump kits which I agree is a must on 450 cfm mechanical secondary carbs.
    I have the Holley Pro Dominator tunnel ram on the big block in the J, first time trying a short plenum ram.

20190921_230315.jpg

"I skimmed the build. Very nice.
    You have a great skill set and
    way too much disposable income !"

Thanks and that's what you bust your ass to achieve, a little luxury of making yourself happy in the latter part of life.

21. 1971BB427,
    Some good info.
    Wonder what Holley is thinking ?

I guess 2 650 DP would be too much ?

1971BB and Swede, some fine cars that appear to actually run, not posers !

I like those Chevrolet Super Service decals. Just can’t beat tunnel rams !

Deuces likes this.
  22. Three Rochester 2 bbls. I had them on all my SBC engines ( and on one 348 )since the mid sixties. 000430.jpg fall hot rod pics 027.jpg

23. I thought that's how you had to jet a Holley. :D:D:D

Deuces and Jenkins Competition like this.
  24. F5691C26-70BD-4D3E-9346-EA244D6F4221.jpeg
    Hahaha !

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Montana1 and Deuces like this.
  25. Deuces

Deuces

Nope!... The proper way to do it is with a reamer....;)

26. You might have mis-read Holley re-jetting pfd. It states “Holley IS your competition’s reamer”.
    Hahaha

Deuces likes this.
  27. Last SBC I had, 355ci, I used one of the 600cfm Holly 4 barrels modeled after the 4100 Autolite. I like them. It worked fine. Summit makes them now.

Truckdoctor Andy and Deuces like this.
  28. That is how it happens at my house. :D

Off topic but a story anyway.

When I was little my dad taught me how to use the jet reams to make one run right. Then he taught me again when I was a young man. I inherited his tool box. I needed the jet reams and found them in his track box. There was a note taped to them. Short and sweet it said, "Wolfe if you re reading this I am gone. Teach someone else how to use these."

29. CCB78FF7-5D10-49CF-9783-92D3101A4BD3.jpeg Found this on another forum,
    Hahaha

Tickety Boo likes this.
  30. Deuces

Deuces

I have no comment....:rolleyes: